PDA

View Full Version : Concept Build- The Cooler (a la Swayze)

ojo_pelao
2016-07-20, 04:31 PM
I was drunkenly watching Roadhouse the other day and got the idea for a bouncer type character. This build is not completely optimized but I feel it'd be fun to play. Looking to share it and for any comments or suggestions.

Outline-This build mainly switches between TWF and Grappling for most threats, but uses the Beserker Barbarian Frenzied Rage ability and busts out a Greataxe when **** really hits the fan.

Race- Half-Orc/Goliath
Half-orcs have more flavor cuz of that ugly mug, Goliaths are bit more optimized for grappling as they have an increased carrying capacity which allows them to drag around heavier opponents.

Stats at 1st Level-
STR- 16, (a good cooler's got muscle)
DEX- 14 (he also knows how to duck)
CON- 15 (he's gotta be able to take some hits)
INT- 8 (if he were smart, he'd be a doctor)
WIS- 10 (he's gotta be able to read danger and perceive threats)
CHA- 12 (sometimes you have to talk situations down)
ASI usage- Tavern Brawler Feat at 4, this lets you make an unarmed or improvised weapon strike before grappling as a bonus action. Then, depending on whether you want more defense or offense, STR or CON moving forward.

Class- Beserker Barb 5/ Rogue 1/ Barb x
As it says above, take Barb up level 5 to get a second attack, than one level of Rogue for Expertise in athletics to make grappling even easier and Sneak Attack to add to TWF damage. Then continue on the Barb path.

Key Features
Rage kicks ass.
Unarmored Defense for use after level 4 when CON is at 16. Before that, you should use chainmail to have an AC of 15. As CON goes up, this will too.
Reckless Attack gives you advantage and after that level of Rogue should let you get sneak attack.
Frenzy- Yeah, I know, FATIGUE! From a role-playing perspective, this makes Frenzy special. For use once or twice a day due to the heavy price to pay. When Frenzied, Swayze uses his greataxe combined with occasional grappling to beat down anyone who stand in his way in a most savage style.
Expertise makes grappling and shoving easier and adds versatility to a pretty one-minded class.
Sneak Attack great when you get it, which between Reckless Attack and shoving should be pretty easy.
Mindless Rage gives Swayze an impenetrable mind.

Background- Criminal Enforcer (Fits the whole bouncer aesthetic)
Swayze worked as an enforcer for a long time and now he's turned his back on the criminal lifestyle in hopes that he can make money adventuring and buy his own bar. He's still got contacts in the underground, though...

Skills
Athletics (Expertise) for grabbing fools and throwing them around.
Insight for reading people.
Intimidation (Expertise) to scare off weaker threats.
Perception to be alert at all times.
Stealth to remain undetected when necessary.

Fightstyles
TWF is what Swayze starts out with, just jabbing shortswords into fools getting +5 damage to each hit.

Frenzied THW is possible after going Beserker, but only sometimes due to the heavy penalty. When Swayze's feeling the bloodlust, he goes crazy with his greataxe and just mows bastards down. He can also shove and then use his bonus action to clobber a helpless opponent.

Grappling enters the fold after Tavern Brawler, allowing you to make an unarmed strike and then grapple. On subsequent turns, you can jab a shortsword into your quarry's guts. Sure, you can carry a weapon that does more damage, but I like the flavor here and don't mind using a d6 instead of a d8. Remember, you need to have a hand free to grapple.

Shoving when not frenzying becomes easier after getting your second attack, you can shove and then drive two shortswords into a fool.

tl;dr I used to **** guys like you in prison. That line is just so creepy.

Temperjoke
2016-07-20, 04:33 PM
Dalton used his fists though, not weapons.

ojo_pelao
2016-07-20, 04:36 PM
Dalton used his fists though, not weapons.

Roadhouse was more of a starting off point. I don't plan to roleplay Swayze's personality either haha.

JellyPooga
2016-07-20, 06:09 PM
First off; kudos for watching such an awesome film again...might go watch it again myself now I think of it!

Second; Race. I would go with half-orc. Free proficiency in Intimidate and the ability to shrug off a knock-out blow fits all too well for The Cooler archetype.

Of course, there's always the option of Varient Human; you get (effectively) the same stat bonuses and proficiencies, but you also get Tavern Brawler from lvl.1 which can't hurt.

Third; Class. Starting as, or at least including a level or two of Monk might be an idea worth considering. Dalton has a spiritual side and the boost to unarmed attacks has to be worth it.

Barbarian 1/Monk 3 (Open Hand)/Rogue 1

Would be a good starting point. Advancing Barbarian or Rogue from here would be equally viable. Barbarian gets you more offensive output, but Rogue offers a grab-bag of offensive and defensive options; level 2 grants Cunning Action for being in the right place at the right time. Level 3 offers the Thief Archetype for making the most out of those improvised weapons and all round improved athleticism. Level 5 gets you Uncanny Dodge; in many respects a better damage mitigator than Rage.

ojo_pelao
2016-07-20, 09:09 PM
Third; Class. Starting as, or at least including a level or two of Monk might be an idea worth considering. Dalton has a spiritual side and the boost to unarmed attacks has to be worth it.

That tai chi scene comes to mind...