PDA

View Full Version : So, I am going to be soloing an entire adventure.

ngilop
2016-07-20, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, I am currently a 4th level warblade my only items consist of a +1 long sword, a +1 small steel shield that can cast light at will at 1st level, and 4 potions of cure light wounds.

My maneuvers are: Stone Bones, Steel Wind, Moment of Perfecxt Clarity, Mountain Hammer, Emeral Razor and my stance is Hunter's Sense.

The DM is going to be running me through either Red Hand of Doom OR Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Of course running the adventure is still 2 or so sessions away, and I'm lucky to get 1 level more if I am lucky.

But, I am thinking the odds are on Red Hand of Doom, due to hobgoblins already playing a role in the campaign so far.

What all do I need to get to actually be able to succeed at this, or at least not die instantly?

I have never ran through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. and have gotten up to the escape from drellin's ferry in Red Hand of Doom.

The DM generally plays everything as a big dumb beat stick, even casters, and even when he is paying them.

case in point: fighting a wolf pack, has a light crossbow. a wolf is entangled by the druid. instead of using crossbow to get attacks in, waste 3 spells to cast ray of enfeeblement on the wolf that literal is unable to do anything other than stand there. Then when they finaly get into the ruined temple has no spells and just sits there against the demon guardian (a 6 HD dretch without stinking cloud and instead a fiery aura burst 1/day and wings) again instead of using his bow. needless to say it was a TPK, because both the guy just sat there for the whole 5 rounds of combat, and the rouge failed his reflex save during the fiery aura burst.

sorry went off on a rant.

SO I know its just going to end with every fight being a slug fest, I might have an npc or 2 to come with me but that is up in the air and most likely wil not happen

what I am looking for is a way to have some sort of sustain to keep my HP up at none-1hit death levels.

Is there a Cloak of Disruption in any of these adventures? or any thing feat/PrC wise you gys can think of to keep me 'topped off' so to speak?

Starbuck_II
2016-07-20, 06:35 PM
Hey guys, I am currently a 4th level warblade my only items consist of a +1 long sword, a +1 small steel shield that can cast light at will at 1st level, and 4 potions of cure light wounds.

My maneuvers are: Stone Bones, Steel Wind, Moment of Perfecxt Clarity, Mountain Hammer, Emeral Razor and my stance is Hunter's Sense.

The DM is going to be running me through either Red Hand of Doom OR Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. Of course running the adventure is still 2 or so sessions away, and I'm lucky to get 1 level more if I am lucky.

But, I am thinking the odds are on Red Hand of Doom, due to hobgoblins already playing a role in the campaign so far.

What all do I need to get to actually be able to succeed at this, or at least not die instantly?

I have never ran through Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. and have gotten up to the escape from drellin's ferry in Red Hand of Doom.

The DM generally plays everything as a big dumb beat stick, even casters, and even when he is paying them.

case in point: fighting a wolf pack, has a light crossbow. a wolf is entangled by the druid. instead of using crossbow to get attacks in, waste 3 spells to cast ray of enfeeblement on the wolf that literal is unable to do anything other than stand there. Then when they finaly get into the ruined temple has no spells and just sits there against the demon guardian (a 6 HD dretch without stinking cloud and instead a fiery aura burst 1/day and wings) again instead of using his bow. needless to say it was a TPK, because both the guy just sat there for the whole 5 rounds of combat, and the rouge failed his reflex save during the fiery aura burst.

sorry went off on a rant.

SO I know its just going to end with every fight being a slug fest, I might have an npc or 2 to come with me but that is up in the air and most likely wil not happen

what I am looking for is a way to have some sort of sustain to keep my HP up at none-1hit death levels.

Is there a Cloak of Disruption in any of these adventures? or any thing feat/PrC wise you gys can think of to keep me 'topped off' so to speak?

Well, a Healing Belt (750 gp) is a useful way to heal that isn't a potion (issue with potions is need to drawn after all).

As you played RHoD, you know most enemies will be goblinoids. So Bane Goblin weapon will be very useful.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-20, 07:08 PM
Well, a Healing Belt (750 gp) is a useful way to heal that isn't a potion (issue with potions is need to drawn after all).Multiclass with crusader at the first possible opportunity, and take both Crusader's Strike and Martial Spirit. At-will healing, FTW.

How's your Dex score? Combat Reflexes, tons of reach with a two-hander, and lots of AoOs are good for you, as is Great Cleave, since you'll be fighting lots of little things that rush at you. Lots of attacks = lots of dead enemies = lots of hp regained.

ngilop
2016-07-20, 07:48 PM
Multiclass with crusader at the first possible opportunity, and take both Crusader's Strike and Martial Spirit. At-will healing, FTW.

How's your Dex score? Combat Reflexes, tons of reach with a two-hander, and lots of AoOs are good for you, as is Great Cleave, since you'll be fighting lots of little things that rush at you. Lots of attacks = lots of dead enemies = lots of hp regained.

please explain the bolded part.

I was thinking of my next few level not actually taking them, and instead getting the saint template. Is that a good idea? then using that to get me into a decent prestige class early?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-20, 08:06 PM
please explain the bolded part.Crusader has a stance that heals 2 hp every time you attack. Having a decent Dex plus reach plus Combat Reflexes means you get to attack enemies every time they provoke an attack of opportunity from you, including when they approach you to attack you. Great Cleave works similarly, insofar as you kill one goblin, heal hit points, then Cleave another goblin, heal hit points, then Cleave another goblin, heal hit points.

Saint is quite nice for +2 LA, but you'll want level adjustment buyoff, if you can. Even then, you lose out on two levels' worth of hit points, saving throws, and class abilities for a few levels, and then one level's worth of those things for even more levels. You'll have other defenses, which are quite nice, but you'll be a bit more fragile than your level supposes for the things I mentioned above. The best thing you get is the fast healing, and if you get plenty of attacks as I mentioned above, you practically have fast healing during combat anyway. Not to mention that there are other ways to get infinite healing, both in and out of combat.

nyjastul69
2016-07-20, 09:33 PM
Crusader has a stance that heals 2 hp every time you attack. Having a decent Dex plus reach plus Combat Reflexes means you get to attack enemies every time they provoke an attack of opportunity from you, including when they approach you to attack you. Great Cleave works similarly, insofar as you kill one goblin, heal hit points, then Cleave another goblin, heal hit points, then Cleave another goblin, heal hit points.

Saint is quite nice for +2 LA, but you'll want level adjustment buyoff, if you can. Even then, you lose out on two levels' worth of hit points, saving throws, and class abilities for a few levels, and then one level's worth of those things for even more levels. You'll have other defenses, which are quite nice, but you'll be a bit more fragile than your level supposes for the things I mentioned above. The best thing you get is the fast healing, and if you get plenty of attacks as I mentioned above, you practically have fast healing during combat anyway. Not to mention that there are other ways to get infinite healing, both in and out of combat.

Can you please state the name of the stance?

A_S
2016-07-21, 12:10 AM
Can you please state the name of the stance?
Martial Spirit.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-21, 04:47 AM
Can you please state the name of the stance?I already did:

Multiclass with crusader at the first possible opportunity, and take both Crusader's Strike and Martial Spirit. At-will healing, FTW.Crusader's Strike also heals you 1d6 plus 1 point per initiator level. Both combine well with the crusader's steely resolve ability (basically a delayed damage pool; you don't take the indicated damage until the end of your next turn, and if you heal that amount of damage, you can split the healing in whatever way you want between your hp damage and the damage in your damage pool).

The ToB classes multiclass extremely well, given how initiator levels scale.

Troacctid
2016-07-21, 05:07 AM
The Stone Power feat is nice too. It works well if you're dipping crusader because of the synergy with the delayed damage pool—the temp HP buffer soaks up the delayed damage.

Gildedragon
2016-07-21, 10:09 AM
If you're soloing I'd recommend an omnitool
A sizing morphing weapon of pure ore adamantine, living metal, or aurorum would be my recommendation
Why? Having an instant bridge, ladder, or huge shield to hide under is generally handy

Shapesand is also a must

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-21, 03:02 PM
If you're soloing I'd recommend an omnitool
A sizing morphing weapon of pure ore adamantine, living metal, or aurorum would be my recommendation
Why? Having an instant bridge, ladder, or huge shield to hide under is generally handyAdding it to a piece of riverine or obdurium or adamantine ammunition (such as a Fine-sized shuriken) makes the cost MUCH cheaper, both for the material (1/8 cost) and for the enhancements (1/50 cost).

Shapesand is also a mustOnly if you have a decent Wisdom. Having to roll a 17 on a d20 any time you want to use it means you generally might as well not bother.

Necroticplague
2016-07-21, 03:14 PM
Some method of Fast Healing so you don't need to rely on consumables would be useful. Feral template is a mere LA +1, and gives Fast Healing (in addition to other assortments of melee goodies, like a good amount of armor, two claw attacks, and darkvision), so may be worth considering.

Gildedragon
2016-07-21, 03:22 PM
Adding it to a piece of riverine or obdurium or adamantine ammunition (such as a Fine-sized shuriken) makes the cost MUCH cheaper, both for the material (1/8 cost) and for the enhancements (1/50 cost).
While riverine is wonderful there's something handy about it not being vulnerable to dispel magic. But yes going the shuriken route is a steal

Only if you have a decent Wisdom. Having to roll a 17 on a d20 any time you want to use it means you generally might as well not bother. Even then, taking 20 to get the precise tool for the job is vety handy.

Albeit it won't work as well if one's in a high stress situation and needs an exit NOW
But that's what the Omnitool is for

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-21, 03:44 PM
While riverine is wonderful there's something handy about it not being vulnerable to dispel magic. But yes going the shuriken route is a steal.Riverine is only vulnerable to what wall of force is vulnerable to (since that's what it's made from), and you cannot dispel a wall of force.

ngilop
2016-07-26, 04:05 PM
Ok.. I have another question.

I save a gnome kingdom and fey city from a massive army of dire rats, with fiendish dire rats captains ( sons of the rat king) and brought back the rat kings head (a half fiend advanced dire rat) <it how I got the cool shield>

So I feel that I can go there and have magical items readily available. My question is, what magical items should I buy first.

I got cloak of disruption and belt of healing as my first must have purchases. Omnitool is something I feel the DM will not allow , due to me having never heard of it before in my life so I'm sure no one of us has the book it is in. As well as non standard special materials. ( by non standard I mean not from core)

Gildedragon
2016-07-26, 04:57 PM
The enchantments for the tool are in the MIC iirc

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-07-26, 05:30 PM
The "omnitool" is basically shorthand for a +1 morphing/sizing weapon (preferably a Fine-sized shuriken, to save on costs, since it's priced at 1/50 normal cost, as per normal for ammo, and a further 1/8 cost for the material and the weapon itself, due to size) made from some exotic material like adamantine, for ignoring hardness.

Need to get across a 50' wide chasm? Turn your omnitool into a Colossal sized broadsword you can use as a bridge. Need to barricade a door? Turn it into a quarterstaff large enough to wedge into place behind it. Need to dig through a solid stone wall? A regular adamantine axe can chop through it in short order. Need to get down a mountain slope really fast to avoid being ambushed by the white dragon chasing you? Turn it into a Huge sized heavy shield shaped like a sled (heavy shields can be used as weapons via shield bashing, so it totally works).

Lots and lots and lots of uses, if you're clever.