PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Factions

Dr.Manhattan
2016-07-20, 06:13 PM
So I am creating a campaign based in a gigantic war that has been going on for over a millenia.
What kind of factions already exist in d&d 3.5? War related or not. All 3.5 material.
If you could help me find some that would be great, Ideas would also help, so far I have:
The court of the undead - Undeads, need I say more?
Feral - Savage groups, banding together goblins, orcs and the aggresive obvious races (This is the least explored by me)
Dragons (cult?) - Dragons and Dragon worshippers
Humans (ofc) - Just humans doing thier **** as usual
The Robots - all constructs
These are just ideas, so actual sources or just expanded upon would all help, thanks in advance!

Shinn
2016-07-20, 06:30 PM
You can use Feys, with Seelie and Unseelie courts : basically, the Seelie Court are Good-aligned Feys, while the Unseelie Court are Evil-aligned Feys.

Drows noble Houses, as there's a noble war against each other house, called "Game of Bones" (really), from... Every Drow-themed supplément, I think. Game of Bones is from the Quintessential Drow.

Barbarian tribes, potentially United by some great chief : you may look at the leadership of some historic tribe leaders, such as Clovis or Sitting Bull.
Note that they're different from Feral faction.

Devils, as some books as Fiend Folio, Book of Fiends and so on explains there's an internal war between every Devil lords.

Troacctid
2016-07-20, 06:47 PM
Complete Champion has loads of factions in it.

Eisfalken
2016-07-20, 08:15 PM
So I am creating a campaign based in a gigantic war that has been going on for over a millenia.
What kind of factions already exist in d&d 3.5? War related or not. All 3.5 material.
If you could help me find some that would be great, Ideas would also help, so far I have:
The court of the undead - Undeads, need I say more?
Feral - Savage groups, banding together goblins, orcs and the aggresive obvious races (This is the least explored by me)
Dragons (cult?) - Dragons and Dragon worshippers
Humans (ofc) - Just humans doing thier **** as usual
The Robots - all constructs
These are just ideas, so actual sources or just expanded upon would all help, thanks in advance!

I can save you a lot of trouble: go read the Eberron campaign book. It's basically everything you are doing, and more.

Feral faction is Darguun, the Shadow Marches, and Droaam (three different nations, one for goblin-kind, one for mostly-neutral orcs, one for everything else). Dragon faction is Argonessen. Human factions are the Five Nations (who are at odds with each other as well as everyone else). Robot faction would be the Lord of Blades and the warforged ("living constructs", and you can even get components installed in them like robots). And there are about, oh... a hundred other little factions, groups, secret societies, etc., some working with one another, others against each other, and they all swap alliances occasionally. Big, wonderful social and political mess of things.

Even if you don't want to do it that exact way, you can at least use Eberron for a lot of inspiration on how to do multiple factions in a long-standing global conflict, and how increased us of magic affects society (similar to increased use of technology).