PDA

View Full Version : [Artifact]Deck of Many Things(Bigger and Better)

Anxe
2007-07-03, 12:57 PM
I made my own Deck of Many Things. It's got some of the same cards as the original one, but a lot of new ones as well. It's still guaranteed to screw up your campaign.
Rules: You can declare to draw as many cards as you want, but then you must stick with that number. If you do not draw your cards within 1 hour of each other they draw themselves. After you have drawn all your cards from the deck or died since you declared the number you would draw you may never draw again. The deck does not disappear after use.
My campaign uses the Greek gods, so a lot of the cards have that flavor. It can easily be changed for any campaign though.

I never listed what cards would be what with a tarot or regular card deck because I made my own deck with paper glued on to Magic cards. I'm sure you guys can assign your own cards to each one of those found here.
EDIT: I've now put playing cards in so normal people who don't make their own cards with paper glued onto magic cards can use the deck. I don't own a tarot deck, so that will take a little longer to make. Need to borrow a friends. The cards are in italics.

The Deck of Many Things

1. Angel With Red Eyes: Radical alignment change. For True neutrals roll a d3 for each axis. Queen of Hearts
2. Backstab: A friend turns on you using all of his resources to kill you from now on. Three of Spades
3. Beggar: All your possessions in the multiverse disappear except for your clothes. You get a +6 on Perform (Oratory). Six of Clubs
4. Bird: You grow wings which give you a 60' (Good) fly speed. Nine of Spades
5. Black Spot: Your character dies. His soul is destroyed. There is no hope of resurrection. Ace of Spades
6. Bloody Hands: Your hands fall off and cannot be replaced or put back on by any means. Jack of Diamonds
7. Bridge: You are randomly plane shifted and the deck stays behind. Six of Diamonds
8. Broken Triangle: You are infertile and cannot be cured by any means. Five of Spades
9. Child: You lose a level that cannot be restored through any means. Four of Clubs
10. Clock: You can cause one past event to not happen in your life. Eight of Diamonds
11. Coffin: You die and cannot be resurrected without a wish or miracle. Ten days later you arise as a Vampire. King of Spades
12. Dog: You are immune to fear effects from now on. King of Hearts
13. Eye Sockets: You are stricken blind and cannot be cured. Ten of Hearts
14. Furies: You are tormented by the Furies. Roll a d6, you get minus that to all your d20 rolls. Only the Clock card or a deity can remove this curse. Jack of Hearts
15. Gallows: The country you are in assumes you have murdered someone and has the proof to convict you in court. Ten of Spades
16. Gem: A bag of twenty-five pieces of jewelry worth 2,000 each or a bag of fifty gems worth 1,000 each appears at your feet. Ace of Diamonds
17. Gold: Your character becomes a skilled business man. You get a shop of any kind with 3000 gold pieces in starting golds and materials and a +4 in Diplomacy and the craft or profession skill associated with your job. Jack of Clubs
18. Hill: Overcome your next significant challenge on your own and gain a level. Eight of Hearts
19. Horse: A flying mount appears to serve you. You choose what type of creature comes, but it must be horse-like in appearance and size. Six of Hearts
20. Jail: You are imprisoned by an evil outsider immediately. The deck does not disappear with you. Ace of Clubs
21. Janus Coin: You are granted d4 wishes that must be used within the same number rolled of days. Four of Hearts
22. Key: You get a key that can unlock anything, but may only be used once. It can unlock things that aren't really locks too, such as someone's heart, mind, soul, or even their arm. Just insert and turn (this may take a touch attack). Queen of Diamonds
23. Knight: A randomly generated 4th level fighter appears out of nowhere to serve you. It follows your orders till death, but otherwise has it's own alignment. Jack of Spades
24. Lightning Bolt: You are favored by the gods and get a +2 on all d20 rolls from now on. King of Diamonds
25. Locked Door: You receive one artifact that disappears upon your death. Seven of Diamonds
26. Lotus: You go crazy as the insanity spell. Fleeing the caster is now running in a random direction. Attacking the caster is now babbling incoherently. Queen of Spades
27. Maiden/Hero: A beautiful female nymph or handsome male immortal falls in love with you. Queen of Clubs
28. Moon: You are turned into a random lycanthrope. Eight of Clubs
29.Naked Man: Everything you are currently holding or wearing disappears, but you get a +2 to all skills, checks, and saves. Ten of Diamonds
30. Olympic Rings: You get a +2 to any ability score. Five of Clubs
31. Oracle: You receive the gift of prophecy. Six of Spades
32. Owl Flying: You lose 1d4+1 off of all intellectual ability scores. Four of Spades
33. Poison: You have ten days to live. Then you turn into a Dread Wraith. You attack the nearest creature for five rounds before disappearing. You may not be resurrected even with a wish or miracle. King of Clubs
34. Poison Ivy: Lose 10,000 experience. Ten of Clubs
35. Reaper: A Dread Wraith attacks. Anyone who helps you against it gets their own. If anyone helps them then they get their own. If you are killed by it you do not get resurrected. Seven of Clubs
36. Red: You radiate an obvious evil aura that even animals can detect. It's almost visible, as a red corona around you. Everybody hates you. Ace of Hearts
37. Seer: This card gives you the answer to one question or problem. You may use it for any question you have in the future or in the past. Five of Diamonds
38. Shapeshifter: You are reincarnated as a new race. Eight of Spades
39. Sleeping Man: You fall asleep and do not wake up except to a wish or miracle. You do not need food or water in this state and are immortal as well. Nine of Hearts
40. Star: You gain a random template rolled form the following choices: Psionic, Fiendish, Celestial, Death Knight, Voidmind, Woodling, Axiomatic, Chaotic. Four of Diamonds
41. Sunrise: You get 1d4 medium magic items and 50,000 experience points. Five of Hearts
42. Throne: You gain a Small Keep somewhere and a +6 to diplomacy. Seven of Spades
43. Titan: A titan is released from Tartaros to come and kill you. Seven of Hearts
44. Well: You are the carrier of a random disease that you can't catch. You can only be “cured” with a wish or miracle, but anyone else can cured the normal way. Nine of Clubs
45. Wolves: Animals start to like how you smell, then how you taste. They come for miles around just to get a bite from you. Nine of Diamonds

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-07-03, 02:23 PM
Clock is broken. Why?

"What event shall never happen to you?"

"My Death."

Oh joy! Immortality!

The rest of the deck looks okay.

Poppatomus
2007-07-03, 02:27 PM
Clock is broken. Why?

"My Death."

Oh joy! Immortality!

Oh joy, eternal aging at best and innumerable eons spent in crawling darkness at worst. Sign me up!

Nice work Anxe, more randomness is always good.

Anxe
2007-07-03, 03:53 PM
The clock refers to past events not future ones. And Poppa pointed out that in Greek mythology immortality for a mortal isn't as good as it sounds. You turn into a cricket after about 20 years after you were supposed to die.

Triaxx
2007-07-03, 06:51 PM
*hopes for bird*

*draws moon*

This shouldn't be too... *turns into were-ladybug*

Oh, nothing can go wrong with this deck. Just hope you don't get an evil DM.

I liked the way BG2 had it's deck of many things set up. You could draw three times, and each time had some chance to kill you instantly.

Clock? Still pretty broken.

"What event never happened to you?"

"I never failed to prevent the release/rebirth of the ancient evil."

firepup
2007-07-03, 07:43 PM
*hopes for bird*

*draws moon*

This shouldn't be too... *turns into were-ladybug*

Oh, nothing can go wrong with this deck. Just hope you don't get an evil DM.

I liked the way BG2 had it's deck of many things set up. You could draw three times, and each time had some chance to kill you instantly.

Clock? Still pretty broken.

I can see a DM changing that up. as in

DM: Okay, you lose X experience points and now the evil is out and everyone roll to see how many of you died without him to help that battle and vice versa. oh, everyone died. too bad.

Poppatomus
2007-07-03, 07:46 PM

I have to say, if a player of mine went for that, I think I'd remove them from existance.

"never having existed, you never even tried to prevent the birth of the ancient evil, and thus could never fail to do so."

It's no more, or less, powerful than wish, imo, and should be treated accordingly.

Anxe
2007-07-04, 09:08 AM
The Clock card is something that happened to you. The ancient evil was the direct object in that sentence.

Triaxx
2007-07-04, 03:57 PM
No, I'm the object of the sentence. The failure is what happened to me. That the failure was that of 'preventing the release/rebirth of the ancient evil', is merely a description of what I was preventing. It's a cosmic do-over.

Anxe
2007-07-16, 08:32 PM
No. No you're not. Grammar isn't something you can warp with fuzzy-logic.

Saint George
2007-07-16, 08:42 PM
27. Maiden/Hero: A beautiful female nymph or handsome male immortal falls in love with you.

Nymph isn't so bad, but handsome male immortal? That is far to vague to be in the hands of any GM. Vampires are immortal. They can be kinda handsome too... wait.. doesn't the sight of a nymph naked kill you? ... THIS ONE IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL.

Anxe
2007-07-16, 08:48 PM
The Nymph kill ability was in 3.0 and got removed in 3.5. It was turn-offable in 3.0 too.
The handsome male immortal refers to a character similar to the heroes of Greek mythology, like Achilles, Hercules, or Jason. Not evil vampires, although you could interpret it that way for an evil character. It was more the idea that in old Greek mythology when you married a nymph or son of the gods, then you were automatically made king of some small country. It was a sign of great prestige.

Saint George
2007-07-16, 08:49 PM
Ah, I never really updated my knowledge. Overall, good idea though. It keeps with the original nastiness of the artifact.

Demented
2007-07-16, 09:37 PM
The Clock card is something that happened to you. The ancient evil was the direct object in that sentence.

Wrong, the release/rebirth is the direct object.
Your card never specified that the event had to be the direct object of a sentence though. =P

Player: "Before the release/rebirth of an ancient evil, my failure to stop it never happened."
DM: "Congratulations, you never failed to stop the release/rebirth of an ancient evil."
Player: "Yay, we can go home now!"
DM: "No, the ancient evil is still there."
Player: "What, why?"
DM: "You never tried to stop it."

Karsh
2007-07-16, 10:24 PM
Does anyone else have a problem with the Horse card?

"I want a Paragon Tarrasque with the Winged Template"

or, more simply,

"A Great Wyrm Gold/Red Dragon"

or, worse,

"A Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragon"

DiscipleofBob
2007-07-16, 10:26 PM
I always wondered if something like a Fatespinner (or maybe another luck-based class) who used Deck of Many Things as a weapon could work. Somehow manipulate which cards he drew, and inflict the bad stuff on his enemies and the good stuff on himself.

Anxe
2007-07-16, 11:32 PM
The best thing my players got out of the mount card was a Nightmare. The mount's still got to be horse-like.

And one of my players did use something like the fatespinner to get stuff. He got a bunch of slaves to draw cards and then he took their gems, mounts, and magical items away. Then he used their Seer card in the most nasty way possible. "How many cards can I draw before suffering effects I would consider bad?" The jerk got five freaking cards in a row. Keep, Locked Door, Olympic Rings, Maiden/Hero, and the Janus Coin for one wish.

Duke of URL
2007-07-17, 06:54 AM
Clock is broken. Why?

"My Death."

Oh joy! Immortality!

Even if it weren't limited to the past, this isn't as foolproof as you think -- since you can only prevent/undo one specific event, you may be saved from death once, but still be subject to dying in a different manner. Perhaps even less than a second later, depending on how big of a mess you got yourself into.

XtheYeti
2007-07-17, 07:47 AM
The DoMT has as it is already destroyed more gaming sesions then i care to speak of, and those are just the ones i know about! why would you make this? have you no hart? dang it now i must yoink this for the game i dm now and watch it go to the nine hells too.

seriously though, this should be fun

Prometheus
2007-07-17, 08:25 AM
My biggest criticism is that, in least in the v3.0 of the DMG, all the cards had both tarot and playing card parallels.
Speaking from personal experience, rolling/picking a number is not nearly as fun as ceremoniously drawing teh card which will determine you fate.
Other than that it looks wonderful and will use it if I use the Deck of Many Things again :)

jindra34
2007-07-17, 08:37 AM
My biggest criticism is that, in least in the v3.0 of the DMG, all the cards had both tarot and playing card parallels.
Speaking from personal experience, rolling/picking a number is not nearly as fun as ceremoniously drawing teh card which will determine you fate.
Other than that it looks wonderful and will use it if I use the Deck of Many Things again :)

So add 7 blanks. then you can match it up.

Anxe
2007-07-17, 08:59 AM
Other than that it looks wonderful and will use it if I use the Deck of Many Things again :)Yeah. I should probably add some stuff up there. I'm gonna go edit it. Now.