PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder: Leadership, torchbearer, squire (help: more in text)

lord4571
2016-07-21, 02:50 AM
bit of background
alright so im making two version of one character for a skyrim setting and pathfinder rules. we are starting at level 5 and im a sea elf. my first version is a sea elf with 2 big cats and will be going into mammoth rider. my second version is a sea elf going vanguard slayer. both versions want to make a hold in skyrim.

the question at hand
since im level 5 i cant take leadership for either version but i could take torchbearer or squire. now my first question are these the only 2 that allow you to have a cohort sooner than level 6? if not what else is there?

squire says it must have martial weapon proficiency is there any reason as to why?
torchbearer has a limit set of classes it can take but is there a theme to them? any classes that are not included could they take?

i know of imperial knight but that (per rules and interpretation) is not the leadership feat and doesnt upgrade into it.
(ill go with the ruling my dm says)

the only other feat ive heard of is vile leadership but im not evil.

im not trying to optimize this feat. for plot i want to know what i have available thats backed by the book and not homebrew.

Shinn
2016-07-21, 03:03 AM
There's also Followers, from Quintessential Aristocrat. Basically, it's Leadership without the Cohort, but it's available since level 3 only.
I think Squire needs Weapon Proficiencies because... As a warrior, would you really obey to someone less experimented than you ?

lord4571
2016-07-21, 03:29 AM
A squire can only take levels in a class that grants proficiency with all martial weapons as a class feature, such as paladin, gunslinger, cavalier, or fighter. She cannot multiclass, though she may take any archetype she qualifies for.

it requires them to not me. (i did not make that clear)

lord4571
2016-07-21, 03:40 AM
also the big thing of all the feats i listed was cohorts. and i could not find that feat you listed

lord4571
2016-07-21, 01:07 PM
so should i take this as there are no others way to gain a cohort?

grarrrg
2016-07-21, 09:24 PM
since im level 5 i cant take leadership for either version but i could take torchbearer or squire. now my first question are these the only 2 that allow you to have a cohort sooner than level 6? if not what else is there?

Those, and the other couple you mentioned are about it.

squire says it must have martial weapon proficiency is there any reason as to why?
Half 'flavor', half the fact that Squire upgrades into full Leadership automatically at 7, so there has to be SOME extra cost with being able to take it at level 3 instead of level 7.

torchbearer has a limit set of classes it can take but is there a theme to them? any classes that are not included could they take?

What's listed is what you get. As for 'theme':
*4 of the 5 are Skill Monkeys
*All of them can make decent meat shields
*None of them are full casters
(I suspect this last one was the most important from the designers perspective)