PDA

View Full Version : Warlock invocations and concentration

D.U.P.A.
2016-07-21, 10:05 AM
Some of warlock invocations lets you cast certain spells at will, some having concentration. Does that mean you need to make Con saves everytime you are hit and you are unable cast other concentration spells like Hex?

Gastronomie
2016-07-21, 10:09 AM
Just 'cause you can cast something at will, doesn't mean you can concentrate on multiple spells at the same time.

Otherwise Minions of Chaos will be broken. Like, really broken.

SharkForce
2016-07-21, 11:47 AM
minions of chaos isn't at-will.

but anyways, yes you still have to concentrate if the spells require it. you are still casting the spell, and follow the standard rules from that, it just doesn't cost you a spell slot.

JakOfAllTirades
2016-07-21, 12:57 PM
I'm wondering if this "at will" language is among the (many) rules in the PHB which needs to be expanded upon. Is there any explanation anywhere of what "at will" means in this context? I'm asking because I've seen several questions about the exact meaning of "at will."

Segev
2016-07-21, 02:00 PM
All it really means is "as many times as you want." It costs no resources save the actions and components needed to cast it.

Blue Lantern
2016-07-22, 04:53 AM
Yes and yes,

As an example cantrip are at will, but those that have concentration still require saving throws in case of hit and cannot be cast twice or with other concentration spells at the same time.

Think of an at will invocation as a special case of cantrip.

Tanarii
2016-07-22, 08:18 AM
As an example cantrip are at will, but those that have concentration still require saving throws in case of hit and cannot be cast twice or with other concentration spells at the same time.Guidance is the big one for Clerics.

Dalebert
2016-07-24, 10:39 PM
Guidance is the big one for Clerics.

Heck yeah. This one will bite you in the ass if you're not thinking. I'm finally getting in the habit of not just casually saying "Guidance!" whenever someone is about to do a skill check. I stop and think "Am I concentrating on anything?" Create Bonfire is another that's easy to forget is concentration. It's a great spell though. I find it makes Cloud of Daggers seem pretty sad for a 2nd level spell and does practically the same thing, at least as you get higher level.

Segev
2016-07-25, 10:56 AM
What DOES create bonfire do? I mean, specifically.

Blue Lantern
2016-07-25, 11:00 AM
Creates a fire in a 5ft square where if you are there at the time the spell is cast or when you enter you take fire damage.
It has the advantage of scaling for free, on the other hand it gives a save to negate the damage.
Cloud of Dagger has no save if I recall correctly.

Segev
2016-07-25, 11:13 AM
Creates a fire in a 5ft square where if you are there at the time the spell is cast or when you enter you take fire damage.
It has the advantage of scaling for free, on the other hand it gives a save to negate the damage.
Cloud of Dagger has no save if I recall correctly.

Hm. Alright. The reason I was asking is more that I've been trying to determine if there's a convenient way to ensure you have a 10' cube of fire from which to call forth fire elementals with conjure elemental, but so far I haven't found one. The other elements are fairly easy to arrange.

Though conjure minor elementals doesn't have that clause, so...

Blue Lantern
2016-07-25, 11:18 AM
And one would thing that fire would be the easiest, considering the average adventurer penchant for setting things on fire :smalltongue:

famousringo
2016-07-25, 12:51 PM
Heck yeah. This one will bite you in the ass if you're not thinking. I'm finally getting in the habit of not just casually saying "Guidance!" whenever someone is about to do a skill check. I stop and think "Am I concentrating on anything?" Create Bonfire is another that's easy to forget is concentration. It's a great spell though. I find it makes Cloud of Daggers seem pretty sad for a 2nd level spell and does practically the same thing, at least as you get higher level.

As has been mentioned, Cloud of Daggers has no save. It also scales very well with level. If you can guarantee two rounds of damage, whether by using it in a chokepoint, grappling an enemy, or forcing movement through it, it outdamages Disintegrate.

SharkForce
2016-07-25, 02:49 PM
Hm. Alright. The reason I was asking is more that I've been trying to determine if there's a convenient way to ensure you have a 10' cube of fire from which to call forth fire elementals with conjure elemental, but so far I haven't found one. The other elements are fairly easy to arrange.

Though conjure minor elementals doesn't have that clause, so...

if you have a torch and control flame, you should be able to create a 10 foot cube of fire in fairly short order, if you have anything sufficiently large and flammable. not instantly, by any means, but fairly quickly.

both control flame and create bonfire are found in the free elemental evil PDF, by the way.

Segev
2016-07-25, 02:56 PM
both control flame and create bonfire are found in the free elemental evil PDF, by the way.

Free, you say? I'll have to look into that when I have time later this evening. Thanks for the tip!

Dalebert
2016-07-25, 04:22 PM
Good point that CoD doesn't have a save, not even for half damage, and Create Bonfire is all or nothing though similar damage starting at lvl 5. I guess I've just always found the area to be disappointing. If it were 10x10, at least it would block most corridors but maybe they thought that would be too good. I guess you can cast it on a creature and get auto-damage but the circumstances to continue to do damage seem somewhat rare. If you just want to get auto-damage once, Magic Missile at 2nd level seems better.