PDA

View Full Version : Sword and Board builds?

WereRabbitz
2016-07-21, 01:28 PM
I'm searching to trying to find some good SnB builds for 5e.

My DM let me retrain my great weapon Fighting style into Dueling and i'm looking for new feats/multiclass for my ancient paladin to take.

I looked around and didn't find much for concrete builds using a sword/board. Most of my group is casters so Damage is good, but not awesome as my companions should be able to pump out a considerable amount. So i'm looking more for Battle field Control or Buffing?

So far considering Shield Mastery & multiclassing Bard.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SharkForce
2016-07-21, 01:54 PM
hmmm... from paladin it's a bit trickier. i prefer the fighter/rogue combination for sword and board.

that said... i think you have party roles backwards in your group. any random schmuck can do some damage, but warriors are generally better at it than spellcasters unless we're talking about large AoE. the thing that spellcasters can (and probably should) do better is the crowd control and buffing. well, except not so much buffing... buffing is only rarely worth the concentration cost in 5e, so usually it's the 1/2 and 1/3 casters that are "good" at buffing (as in, they often don't have the save DC or the spell slots to make offensive casting a full-time job).

but seriously, damage? your paladin can do lots of damage, all day, every day, and can additionally offer some very impressive burst damage to go with your consistent damage. what your paladin cannot do nearly as well is web an entire group of enemies, or stinking cloud, or wall of force, or banishment, or fear, or mass suggestion.

still, if your group needs crowd control, bard isn't awful... but i'd probably recommend sorcerer/paladin as the typical combination. you'll need the warcaster feat if you want to use a sword and shield, but sorcerer gives you metamagic, which gives you the ability to (for example) cast a quickened haste spell with your bonus action and then start wrecking some fools. it could also give you the ability to cast a careful web right on top of your own party, which should make it a lot more difficult for enemies to fight you in that area. sorcerer would also give you access to the SCAG weapon cantrips which, combined with warcaster and your ability to smite, gives you one heck of an opportunity attack. once your DM realizes your opportunity attack can deal full cantrip damage + weapon damage + smite damage, you may find that simply standing in between your party and the enemies is a remarkably effective form of crowd control...

WereRabbitz
2016-07-21, 02:04 PM
hmmm... from paladin it's a bit trickier. i prefer the fighter/rogue combination for sword and board.

that said... i think you have party roles backwards in your group. any random schmuck can do some damage,..

I'm a bit new so our party is Druid, Sorc, CLeric, Monk, Fighter, Paladin

What should I focus on then?

Oramac
2016-07-21, 02:15 PM

That's actually a pretty well-rounded group. With that, you can focus on just about anything you want.

Being an Ancients Paladin, if I were you I'd focus on tanking and maybe being a bit of a mage-slayer since you have the AWESOME Aura of Warding.

N810
2016-07-21, 02:27 PM
Shield Master, and/or sentinel couldn't hurt either. :smallwink:

Zman
2016-07-21, 02:29 PM
Shield Master and PAM for Quarterstaff and Board??

JeffreyGator
2016-07-21, 02:33 PM

Anyone can find and disarm traps and such but rogues and bards with expertise will do that better. that might fill a missing role in your party.

The bard will add more control with spells and the rogue adds more damage.

Oramac
2016-07-21, 02:38 PM
Anyone can find and disarm traps and such but rogues and bards with expertise will do that better.

Bah. Your face will disarm traps just fine. :P

WereRabbitz
2016-07-21, 02:48 PM
Bah. Your face will disarm traps just fine. :P

This...

We have been disarming traps thus far by having my paladin walk into them and healing me up afterwards.

Hudsonian
2016-07-21, 02:56 PM
Important information is missing from this thread:
What level is the OP
What level range is the campaign
What setting is the campaign
How much book keeping are you up for
What deity/path to become paladin is in your character arc

All of these heavily impact what you should consider for your build.

Have you considered going single class? There is beauty in the simplicity of single class and using ASI as ASIs. But then again, I am not Kryx and have not done the math.

If you are doing a lot of blundering into traps... Shield master... DEFINITELY.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-21, 03:08 PM
It's not blundering, it's strategic mass disarming.

Though still, Shield Master is an amazing feat, if just for the free crowd control it adds to your shield. Smack something around, then shove it back as a bonus action. Tavern Brawler could be a nice feat too if you intend to make use of shield bashes. It counts as an improvised weapon, and Tavern Brawler gives you proficiency with improvised weapons.

WereRabbitz
2016-07-21, 03:11 PM
Important information is missing from this thread:
What level is the OP Level 5 Ancient Paladin Half Elf Entertainer
What level range is the campaign Custom design by DM
What setting is the campaign Pretty Standard D&D stuff.. Cave dungeons, Forest, now were stranded on a isle with a Warlock
How much book keeping are you up for Any i'm all game!
What deity/path to become paladin is in your character arc. Ehlonna Woodland goddess. Been doing a Positive attitude believing everyone has redeeming qualities and always playing instruments on ships/towns to please the crowds.

All of these heavily impact what you should consider for your build.

Have you considered going single class? There is beauty in the simplicity of single class and using ASI as ASIs. But then again, I am not Kryx and have not done the math.

If you are doing a lot of blundering into traps... Shield master... DEFINITELY.

Here hopefully that helps to clear things up. I have picked "lucky" as my first feat with a STR/Con/CHA of 18/17/17

Specter
2016-07-21, 03:15 PM
Paladins already get good bonus action uses through smite spells and oath features, so Shield Master might find some competition there. And Ancients can already resist spells pretty well too. Seems to me you don't really need the feat.

Hudsonian
2016-07-21, 03:29 PM
Given your character description I would think your "Optomized" options are dependent on the cleric. If the cleric is like my preference, Max strength Life in spear and shield wading in holding spirit guardians and spiritual weapon..., Go bard.

Otherwise, I think that Paladin holds its own really well as a pure class. Especially if you are willing to not be tied to roleplaying it as dour sourpoutfrowny face. I actually really like what your doing. I am actually of the opinion that bard takes several levels before it really starts shining.... but then again, I'm fairly new too.

WereRabbitz
2016-07-21, 03:53 PM
Paladins already get good bonus action uses through smite spells and oath features, so Shield Master might find some competition there. And Ancients can already resist spells pretty well too. Seems to me you don't really need the feat.

Between my Saves bonus from my Aura and Resist magic aura will I be able to take on spell casters pretty well? I worry about Dex 11 score and some of these crazy WIzard spells like a level 9 Disintegrate ya know?

R.Shackleford
2016-07-21, 04:01 PM

My DM let me retrain my great weapon Fighting style into Dueling and i'm looking for new feats/multiclass for my ancient paladin to take.

I looked around and didn't find much for concrete builds using a sword/board. Most of my group is casters so Damage is good, but not awesome as my companions should be able to pump out a considerable amount. So i'm looking more for Battle field Control or Buffing?

Strogue is the best!

Rapier and shield or dagger and shield

Just posted this in another thread but...

Strogue man Strogue man! *guitar riff*

Best way to do this is to do Vhuman (Moderately armored) Rogue (swashbuckler).

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 12

(Ability scores might be off a bit on Wis and Cha... didn't check them)

AC: (should be able to gain hide armor) 13 + 2 + 2 (17)... eventually get a breastplate.

Expertise in Athletics and Stealth and later Perception and Whatever (I like insight)

There are countless feats to take at level 4, shield master let's you bash and get advantage.

Going straight rogue is great as you never need to really raise your ability scores and can just focus on feats.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-21, 04:03 PM
Between my Saves bonus from my Aura and Resist magic aura will I be able to take on spell casters pretty well? I worry about Dex 11 score and some of these crazy WIzard spells like a level 9 Disintegrate ya know?

If you're that worried about Dex save spells, take Resilient for Dexterity. Proficiency can be a powerful thing, especially when combined with the bonus from your Aura. Plus it gives you a nice +1 to your Dex Mod, even if you wear heavy armor and can't take advantage it for your AC.

SharkForce
2016-07-21, 04:17 PM

you should be less worried about a level 9 disintegrate, and more worried about a level 5 wall of force. if the person you're fighting has level 9 spells and is blowing it on disintegrate, count your blessings...

MrStabby
2016-07-21, 05:37 PM
Lore bard and S&B paladin is solid. Expertise in athletics and shield mastery is near permanent advantage for your team. If you need to you get cutting words which should ensure victory.

Bard also gives you more spell slots to smite with, improved hit die recovery to make your lay on hands go further (compensating for the missing paladin levels).

Bard, unlike rogue, needs no extra stat to be high to multiclass into. Cha is already high.

Paladin to 6, to get the nifty auras is good - then lore bard to at least 3. The challenge is where to pick up your ASIs, especially as you will want shield master as a feat.

Alternatively you could use sorcerer instead for things like quickened hold person and critical smites - a good setup but a bit DM dependant (you need to fight a lot of humanoids).

Foxhound438
2016-07-21, 05:58 PM

you have aura of warding for that. you'll take around 50, which shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Anyways, for your original question, unless you have a cool longsword or warhammer or something, Polearm Master is a decent pick for s+b. one hand a quarterstaff, that will give you decent sustained DPR right off, and plus getting an extra attack synergizes great with some of your paladin features and spells (IDS, dueling style come to mind)

For multiclassing options, there's not a ton that specifically synergises (made up word apparently) well with s+b, unless you pick up something like Storm Sphere to fill your bonus action consistently if you don't want to go the quarterstaff route. Something like pal 11-13/sorc 9-7 gets you good bonus action options, to include quicken, and also will grant you more spell slots for whatever you chose to use them for. lore bard can do as much good as well, you just have to switch out your extra magical secret once you hit bard 7, and before then you have inspiration dice to throw at your allies.

Alternatively, stick with pure pally and grab Aura of Vitality at level 9 to fill your bonus action with sweet heals; if you have 13 wisdom, it might be worth it to grab a level of life cleric if that's going to be your most used bonus action filler.

MaxWilson
2016-07-21, 05:59 PM

Decide what you're trying to do. A shield is just a means to an end--if you're trying to be an armored tank who encourages enemies to hit him, then Defense Style and one of either Heavy Armor Master or Lucky is appropriate. (Lucky to cancel critical hits or failed saves.)

If on the other hand you're interested in more psychological ploys and scaring enemies away from attacking you at all, pouring on the damage while remaining mostly invulnerable to a single opponent's attacks, then Shield Master plus some version of Expertise will enable you to push an enemy prone each round, attack him at advantage, and retreat out of his attack range--you're getting a full attack sequence at advantage while he's only getting a single opportunity attack at disadvantage. (Disadvantage for being prone; then he has to spend half of his movement to stand up again, and you're 35' away, so he can't reach you this round to attack you back.)

The natural enemy response to this sequence to just refuse to close to melee range with you, because anyone who does will just get beat up. If you have a ranged heavy party, this is exactly what you want. N.b. you can pull this exact same trick with Polearm Master too, Pushing with your main attack and then using your bonus haft attack (plus any Extra Attacks) to do damage.

==========================

Alternatively, stick with pure pally and grab Aura of Vitality at level 9 to fill your bonus action with sweet heals; if you have 13 wisdom, it might be worth it to grab a level of life cleric if that's going to be your most used bonus action filler.

Or grab Sorc 3 for Quicken Spell and Extended Spell. Extended Aura of Vitality is even better than Disciple of Life + Aura of Vitality (140 HP healing vs. 120), though of course you could also combine them (240 HP healing).

The advantage of Sorc 3 over Cleric is that: (1) you get some ranged cantrips like Fire Bolt to give you a way to punish creatures that won't close to melee; (2) defensive spells like Shield/Blur that Paladins can't normally access; (3) Enhance Ability for stealth or social situations which, again, paladins can't normally access; (4) Quicken Spell metamagic; (5) no Wis 13 pre-req; (6) Tides of Chaos if you want it (good for tanks). Or you could go the other way since you already have plenty of bonus action options and take Careful Spell.

TLDR; Paladin 9/ Sorc 3 = Extended Spell (for 140 HP of healing) + Careful Spell + Enhance Ability + Shield + Blur + Web + Fire Bolt + Minor Illusion + Booming Blade + Ray of Frost + optional Tides of Chaos = pretty good. Arguably better than Paladin 12.

Klorox
2016-07-21, 11:03 PM
Strogue is the best!

Rapier and shield or dagger and shield

Just posted this in another thread but...

Strogue man Strogue man! *guitar riff*

Best way to do this is to do Vhuman (Moderately armored) Rogue (swashbuckler).

Str: 16
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 12

(Ability scores might be off a bit on Wis and Cha... didn't check them)

AC: (should be able to gain hide armor) 13 + 2 + 2 (17)... eventually get a breastplate.

Expertise in Athletics and Stealth and later Perception and Whatever (I like insight)

There are countless feats to take at level 4, shield master let's you bash and get advantage.

Going straight rogue is great as you never need to really raise your ability scores and can just focus on feats.

What's strogue? Strength rogue? Straight rogue?

Back to OP: S&B paladin is great. I'd go for shield mastery.

If you want a buff spell, bless is great.

If you want to multiclass bard (presumably for expertise in athletics), that's cool too. But as an ancients paladin, I wouldn't do it until after reaching level 7 as a paladin. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't go any higher than that anyway.

It sounds like you have great stats already, but if you can retrain fighting styles, maybe you can switch your STR and CHA. I think CHA is more important than anything for a paladin, especially after reaching level 6.

Also, as said above, if you want a S&B paladin, you need to pick up the war caster feat.

Foxhound438
2016-07-21, 11:13 PM
Or grab Sorc 3 for Quicken Spell and Extended Spell. Extended Aura of Vitality is even better than Disciple of Life + Aura of Vitality (140 HP healing vs. 120), though of course you could also combine them (240 HP healing).

issue with that plan being that 12 HP per turn is a lot more relevant in combat. I bring this up because the goal is to fill out your action economy.

That said, a Sorc dip is by no means a bad choice, it's just that if you do go sorc there's probably better spells to fill in your bonus action with more relevant effects.

MaxWilson
2016-07-22, 09:12 AM
issue with that plan being that 12 HP per turn is a lot more relevant in combat. I bring this up because the goal is to fill out your action economy.

That said, a Sorc dip is by no means a bad choice, it's just that if you do go sorc there's probably better spells to fill in your bonus action with more relevant effects.

But... Paladins already have a great set of bonus action options. Especially if you go Shield Master, as several people have suggested.

AoV, with or without enhancements, is primarily an after-combat spell. You can be cheapo/efficient and start it in combat (e.g. for pop-up healing a la Healing Word) but you should only do that in relatively easy fights where you can afford to skimp. Otherwise, spend your concentration and/or bonus action on something to keep you alive (Wrathful Smite is often good; Expeditious Retreat or Blur is also good if you have it; so is Sanctuary) or to kill the enemy faster (Hex or Haste, TWF).

AoV is a way of making sure that your party doesn't suffer from HP attrition over time. Its in-combat uses are strictly secondary.

WereRabbitz
2016-07-22, 10:36 AM
So if i Pick up Shield Master I will always have a Shove attack or Spell I can use to fill my bonus action each round, but what about reactions?

Seems paladins suffer a bit here. I was thinking Magic Initiate to pick up a couple cantrips and the Shield Spell as a reaction to a big hit, but Sentinel Feat might still be better?

Doesn't seem to be any native options in the Paladin line for giving you reactions.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-22, 10:39 AM
Reactions are in-a-way covered with Shield Master, you can use your Reaction to impose your shield between you and anything that's forcing you to make a Dex saving throw for half damage to instead take no damage (if you succeed in the roll, anyway.)

Rainbownaga
2016-07-22, 05:33 PM
Shield Master and PAM for Quarterstaff and Board??

I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

djreynolds
2016-07-22, 08:22 PM

You already answered it, lore bard and paladin.
AND a great story hook, lore bard finds places of nature that need to be protected, OoA defends them.

JellyPooga
2016-07-23, 09:34 AM
With Con and Cha at 17, I'd be very tempted to take +1/+1 as your next ASI and stick with straight Paladin, at least until you pick up the excellent Auras on offer over the next couple of levels.

Just using a shield for the +2 AC is boon enough and the extra HP and bonus to all your saves from bumping up your Cha, not to mention everything else an improved Cha offers is just gold for a Pally. As others have mentioned, Paladin is totally solid single-class.

On weapon choice, I've always been a fan of Spear & Shield. It doesn't really offer anything special, but you can two-hand it if you lose your shield, you can chuck it if you're desperate for a ranged attack and most importantly it looks awesome!

WereRabbitz
2016-07-23, 02:45 PM
Wow some great suggestions!
I have WIs 13 actually, Int 11 and Dex 10.

Between Paladin Spells & Shield Mastery I think I will always have something to do with my Bonus action. I only worry after a while we will fight creatures far bigger where shove has no use or is there a way around that?

I am tore at level 7, 8 or 12 as my cut off. I already picked "Lucky" as my first ASI and ohh man that has saved my rear so many times. It's basically my crit reversal for the DM.

I had also considered cleric even. Channel Divinity doens't rely on my Wis Directly so like the war clerick +10 Accuracy abilities work well with the Great Weapon fight feat and the +1d8 radiant damage per round would fit well with the IMprove divine smite giving me a 3d8 consitent radiant dmg per turn. This allows me to pick up some more cleric spells + Cantrips + Pure Spell Levels for my total number of spells. The big downside is my Cleric Spells will be mostly buffing/healing since my low wis will hurt me landing dmg/debuff spells.

Sigreid
2016-07-24, 12:26 AM

Except with SM on an ancients paladin he'll have near total invulnerability to dex save area attacks.

Klorox
2016-07-24, 01:45 AM
I swear, 1 handed quarterstaves are 5e's spiked chain.

Damn right. This is sig-worthy!

NotADragonYet
2016-07-24, 06:10 AM
Maybe one of the Armour Master feats? Heavy Armour Master pretty much gives you 3 damage reduction against all blud/pierc/slash weapon damage (very few monsters deal magical blud/pierc/slash weapon damage).

JellyPooga
2016-07-24, 07:30 AM
Maybe one of the Armour Master feats? Heavy Armour Master pretty much gives you 3 damage reduction against all blud/pierc/slash weapon damage (very few monsters deal magical blud/pierc/slash weapon damage).

HAM has a steep incline of dimimishing returns, though; very good at level 1, almost worthless by level 12. If it scaled at all, it'd be worth taking, but simply having more HP reduces its impact significantly, let alone the fact that increasingly larger numbers of foes use magical and/or non-weapon attacks as level rises, rendering the Feat somewhat obsolete even before you hit high-tier play.

MaxWilson
2016-07-24, 09:54 AM
Except with SM on an ancients paladin he'll have near total invulnerability to dex save area attacks.

Only the ones that are spells. Against stuff like dragon breath he's only slightly more durable than a normal paladin and less durable than a rogue. It's like half-Evasion--only helps if he makes the save, but he won't be making the save very often since his only bonus to Dex saves is probably his Cha bonus. He doesn't even get the Shield Master bonus to the save because it's not single-target.

HAM has a steep incline of dimimishing returns, though; very good at level 1, almost worthless by level 12. If it scaled at all, it'd be worth taking, but simply having more HP reduces its impact significantly, let alone the fact that increasingly larger numbers of foes use magical and/or non-weapon attacks as level rises, rendering the Feat somewhat obsolete even before you hit high-tier play.

Well, that really depends upon what kind of high-tier play you're playing, doesn't it? If your 14th level adventure features at least one encounter in which 99 shortbow-equipped goblins ambush the party (Hard encounter), you'll be right glad if your Fireball-chucking wizard turns out to be a Heavy Armor Master so he can roast them without getting spitted with arrows when he shows his mug. He may have AC 20 in his plate armor, or 25 if he Shields, but that's still 153 points of damage he's looking at. HAM will cut that to 79 points of damage, and Shield will cut it further to 29. (Shield without HAM will cut it to 45.) A 50% boost in survivability isn't superb, but it's still as useful as it was at first level.

One of the reasons Bounded Accuracy was invented so that monsters don't go obsolete. You can and should still anticipate fighting Earth Elementals, Drow, Displacer Beasts, etc. even in high-tier play. A campaign in which level N PCs fight only CR N monsters is contrived and boring.

Sigreid
2016-07-24, 10:00 AM

That depends on how much your DM likes to use lower level minions. If it's always Boss + 10+ minions HAM is still huge.

JellyPooga
2016-07-24, 10:51 AM
99 goblin archers? Really? If that's a recommendation for HAM, then I think I'll pass. If that's the kind of encounter you face in your games at higher levels, then you play very different style of game to me. To me that sounds like a boring grind. 20 goblin commandos with specialist gear/training to take out powerful adventurers; that's a mook encounter worth playing and it's also one that invalidates HAM because they'll almost certainly have magical weapons or at least magical support.

As for 10 minions; they're likely small fry that can be taken out turn 1 if they're so weak that HAM is making a difference. The boss might make a difference, but in that case you're better off focus-firing that guy, in which case an ASI is probably standing you in better stead.

I understand that bounded accuracy keeps low-level foes relevent into higher tiers of play, but even so the non-scaling of HAM really kills its utility compared to other options. If you know a game isn't going higher than, say, 10th level, then it's great, don't get me wrong. But the further up the ladder you go the more insignificant an investment it becomes; that's not an opinon, it's a fact. Unless, of course, you're playing a very low-fantasy game where magic is rare or non-existent.

Tarvil
2016-07-24, 11:02 AM

It's not that bad, If something hits you, let's say, two times for 30 damage total, reducing it to 24 is amazing. It's 20% damage reduction! Of course, magical attacks ignore this feat, but there's still a lot of monsters without them (cough... Dragons... cough... Tarrasque... cough... Vampires... cough)

SharkForce
2016-07-24, 06:25 PM
even if 10 relatively weaker minions are present, it's pretty worthwhile. that could easily lead to preventing 30 points of damage in a single round (provided you can get them to attack you) with no action cost and no resource cost beyond the initial feat. it still isn't amazing at high levels, but it's fairly reasonable to expect it to prevent easily 6-9 damage per round even in the worst situations... that adds up pretty quick. it's like having 3 extra HP per hit, except you don't have to spend resources to heal those lost HP. is it as good as GWM? well, no, generally speaking it isn't. but it isn't awful either.

MaxWilson
2016-07-24, 06:44 PM
If that's the kind of encounter you face in your games at higher levels, then you play very different style of game to me.

That's why I said "it depends." Not everybody plays D&D the same way. Some of us grew up on The Bard's Tale and are perfectly comfortable with Theatre of the Mind. Difficulty-wise, BTW, 99 goblins is only a Medium encounter for 14th level PCs.

(Though so far the players at my table seem more likely to charge 20 Umber Hulks than 99 goblin archers.)

If you know a game isn't going higher than, say, 10th level, then it's great, don't get me wrong. But the further up the ladder you go the more insignificant an investment it becomes; that's not an opinon, it's a fact.

That's an opinion based on subjective premises. It's a fact about the kind of game you like to play, but as per above, your playstyle isn't universal.

===============================

even if 10 relatively weaker minions are present, it's pretty worthwhile. that could easily lead to preventing 30 points of damage in a single round (provided you can get them to attack you) with no action cost and no resource cost beyond the initial feat. it still isn't amazing at high levels, but it's fairly reasonable to expect it to prevent easily 6-9 damage per round even in the worst situations... that adds up pretty quick. it's like having 3 extra HP per hit, except you don't have to spend resources to heal those lost HP. is it as good as GWM? well, no, generally speaking it isn't. but it isn't awful either.

HAM isn't amazing even at low levels. At best, it's merely a solid assist, 20-50% (tops) reduction in damage. It's probably roughly comparable to +2 to AC, or the temp HP you get from Inspired Leader.

It's never amazing. But you're right that it's not awful, either; and for some concepts it can be quite fun.

JellyPooga
2016-07-24, 06:53 PM
I'm not saying HAM is the worst Feat going, by any means; below 10th it varies from amazing to just good. It's after that 10th level mark that you really start to see the big (magical) guns come out and HAM starts looking like a bad investment. Considering that the Feat may well have meant the difference between surviving to higher levels or not makes it a great choice as your 4th level ASI, maybe even your 8th. I would almost never pick it up after that though, or choose it for a game starting at high level; it's just not worth the investment cost in post-10th play, unless you're taking on armies or, as I said earlier, in a low-magic or low-fantasy setting.

JellyPooga
2016-07-24, 07:05 PM
That's an opinion based on subjective premises.

You deny that the contents of the monster manual includes increasingly larger numbers of foes that have magical or non-weapon attacks that bypass the DR that HAM provides as level increases?

Subjectively, HAM can be amazing if you face off against a lot of low-magic at high levels. It can also be entirely useless in the reverse situation. An objective assessment includes all options presented in the rules and those rules support my assertion. It is a fact that HAM decreases in use as level increases because it doesn't scale, whilst damage rolls, HP and frequency of magic all do. It can be yours or my opinion that in an actual game it's better or worse than the objective assessment states.