PDA

View Full Version : Firefly

pendell
2016-07-21, 02:56 PM
So Serenity is getting a new comic book (http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/serenity-is-returning-to-comics-in-new-series-no-power-in-the-verse)

Dark Horse Comics has announced "Serenity: No Power in the 'Verse," a new comic series that will continue the saga of Joss Whedon's beloved sci-fi franchise that began in 2002 with the cult-classic TV series "Firefly."

Releasing as a monthly, six-issue miniseries, "No Power in the 'Verse" comes from writer Chris Roberson ("iZombie") and veteran "Serenity" artist Georges Jeanty. The series will pick up a year and a half after the last "Serenity" comic adaptation, "Leaves on the Wind."

The title of the latest "Serenity" continuation takes inspiration from River Tam's (Summer Glau) classic quote from "Firefly," "...no power in the ‘verse can stop me." Fittingly, River will play a big role in the new "Serenity" series.

"River plays a pretty central role in this story, in more ways than one," Roberson said. "She's really come into her own as the pilot of Serenity, for one thing, but now that Zoe’s daughter Emma is toddling around on her own by this point, River is always on hand to help look after her as well. But the Alliance is still hunting for River, which is going to continue to put the rest of the crew in the crosshairs."

There's more at the link, including some lovely cover art.

*Slips on a brown coat*

I can live with that.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

cobaltstarfire
2016-07-23, 07:39 AM
I love Firefly...but I'm a little uncertain about a new comic, since the last one was so poorly put together.

Avian Overlord
2016-07-23, 08:36 AM
Oh god, just get over it already.

JoshL
2016-07-23, 02:39 PM
Can't wait! I loved Leaves on the Wind, and The Shepherd's Tale was fantastic! Haven't read iZombie, so I don't have an opinion on Roberson, but I've loved Jeanty's work on Leaves and Buffy.

JadedDM
2016-07-23, 02:56 PM
Huh, interesting. Is this the first comic that takes place after the movie? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all of the comics so far took place before or during the show.

BiblioRook
2016-07-27, 03:29 PM
Huh, interesting. Is this the first comic that takes place after the movie? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that all of the comics so far took place before or during the show.

I haven't read many of the Firefly comics but I do distinctly remember one specifically where Zoe was heavily pregnant.

JoshL
2016-07-27, 08:52 PM
Zoe was pregnant in Leaves on the Wind, in the connecting story, but the bulk of the comic is people telling stories about Wash, so obviously flashback-y.

DeadpanSal
2016-07-28, 04:06 AM
The comics off the top of my head so far have been a prequel (Shepherd's Backstory, happening simultaneously with his last scene in the movie), a comic to bridge the show to the movie (mostly about the agents being replaced by the Operative), some random one shots during the show's era, and a story that took place after the movie that centered around Wash's history. That was the only one set in the future.

I'm not too happy that all we get is a comic to further the story, but it's not the worst way to keep it going. Buffy season 8 was weird and kind of too different, but 9 and 10 were actually strong story arcs that I liked. Both seasons of Angel and Faith were some of the best things out of the Buffyverse. So if we get something like that out of this comic it could be pretty good. I just don't know enough to feel like everything's gonna be shiny.