2016-07-21, 04:23 PM
so after a long time the DM gave us a level
Now I am 11th level warblade gestalted with 11 levels of sorcerer

and now i'd like help picking out some 5th levels spells

I have unfettered heroism and vigor of the dragon lords

what i'd lke is the ideas for some 5th level spells

on my warblade half i use iron heart and mostly its counters and boost

I have arcane strike and use it mod my sword attacks

so for spells i prefer ones that can alter my melee ability though other if handy may work

Renen
2016-07-21, 06:20 PM
The 1st question everyone is thinking is
"Why warblade sorcerer"

Pyromancer999
2016-07-21, 07:10 PM
"Why warblade sorcerer"

Just because it's a MAD character, unusual, or not-totally-optimal doesn't mean someone shouldn't play it. There's plenty of reasons for a Sorcerer/Warblade gestalt.

As for 5th level spells, Draconic Might isn't bad if you're low on ability score-enhancing items, same goes for Bite of the Wereboar.

Improved Blink is good for mobility, and Break Enchantment has its uses.

However, one of my favorite buffs of all time(at least at this level range) is Draconic Polymorph. Same as normal Polymorph, but the Strength score of your form is just 8 higher and your Constitution 2 higher. Not even a real enhancement bonus, your base number for those scores is just higher, which is awesome for good melee forms, to give a good buff to already high Str forms.

GreyBlack
2016-07-22, 06:54 PM
"Why warblade sorcerer"

Better question is "Why not?"

As to the OP, my big question is why you haven't started taking something like Eternal Blade instead of Warblade?

Emperor Tippy
2016-07-22, 07:00 PM
"Why warblade sorcerer"

Yup.

Better question is "Why not?"

Because Warblade//Psion fluffs out virtually identical while being significantly better and more useful mechanically.

GreyBlack
2016-07-22, 07:21 PM
Yup.

Because Warblade//Psion fluffs out virtually identical while being significantly better and more useful mechanically.

Not every campaign setting allows for psionics, so that is a thing. In my 3.5, I usually disallow psionics because I'm generally more a fan of the gritty sword and sorcery fantasy, but your mileage may vary.

(Also, my players usually can't wrap their heads around psionic mechanics, so it's for their benefit, too)

But this is all off topic. Warblade//Sorcerer! Lol

Renen
2016-07-23, 12:17 AM
Yup.

Tippy is my spirit animal :P

Also, I find it silly that people disallow psionics because they like sword and sorcery. Just say psionics is magic, except the kind where you don't need verbal components to cast. And suddenly your immersion is preserved.

GreyBlack
2016-07-23, 01:30 AM
Tippy is my spirit animal :P

Also, I find it silly that people disallow psionics because they like sword and sorcery. Just say psionics is magic, except the kind where you don't need verbal components to cast. And suddenly your immersion is preserved.

Quick tangent, if I may? Splendid.

So, in Western fantasy, magic and power are displayed through the word, both written and spoken. Gandalf says some gibberish and an eagle shows up. Dumbledore has a massive library of books on magical literature and learning that shows his immense power. Merlin says a couple words and turns Arthur into a sparrow.

Now, in the context of your statement, magic without a linguistic component ceases to be magic in the traditional Western tradition, which is the image generally conjured by sword and sorcery imagery. It isn't the power within the practitioner that draws forth the power, it's the words that do.

Now, by contrast, the psionic aesthetic evokes much more of an Eastern aesthetic, where power is drawn from within the practitioner into the world by raw force of will. It is the implementation of the character's will upon the world, regardless of fancy book learning. This evokes the concept of ki/qi/chi for the practitioner, preferring to manifest this power with impressive visual displays: manipulation of the body's own energies to make a change in the physical world.

So, to answer your question, yes. There is a reason to not allow psionics in order to evoke a certain aesthetic. But, again, this tangent is irrelevant to the original poster's message.

Renen
2016-07-23, 03:56 PM
So barring the possibility of just RPing it as needing one to speak (certain "western" magic is actually portrayed as you not needing to speak, but nearly everyone does because its 100 times easier than thinking the spell), I would assume you also ban things like silent spell, any other effect that allows to cast without speaking, as well as any spell that has no verbal component? I mean if you do it, you ARE doing it all the way right?

Metahuman1
2016-07-23, 08:01 PM
so after a long time the DM gave us a level
Now I am 11th level warblade gestalted with 11 levels of sorcerer

and now i'd like help picking out some 5th levels spells

I have unfettered heroism and vigor of the dragon lords

what i'd lke is the ideas for some 5th level spells

on my warblade half i use iron heart and mostly its counters and boost

I have arcane strike and use it mod my sword attacks

so for spells i prefer ones that can alter my melee ability though other if handy may work

Wall of Force is a fun spell at this level. Spiffy for holding the line by forcing the enemy to come at you in smaller numbers from a specific direction that your ready to deal with.

Baleful Polymorph is an awesome debuff if used right.

Telekinesis is a fun spell, should be self explanatory.

Also, have you considered taking a prestige class on that Sorcerer side? Abjurant Champion? Maybe with a dip into Argent Savant thrown in? Or perhaps Initiate of the Seven Fold Veil? Maybe Incantatrix?

GreyBlack
2016-07-24, 06:10 AM
So barring the possibility of just RPing it as needing one to speak (certain "western" magic is actually portrayed as you not needing to speak, but nearly everyone does because its 100 times easier than thinking the spell), I would assume you also ban things like silent spell, any other effect that allows to cast without speaking, as well as any spell that has no verbal component? I mean if you do it, you ARE doing it all the way right?

I think you're conflating "based on" with "always must be." Even in the examples I listed, there are many examples of casting non verbal spells. However, it is far more common in these examples to cast spells verbally, with pedagogy based on language rather than by mere exertion of will on their environment.

Additionally, I specifically said "linguistic component." Nonverbal is fine here so long as there is some component of language. The spell can be written and transmitted from person to person in traditional DnD magic, while psionics requires the creation of mystical tools for transmission. No component of language necessary to glean the necessary knowledge.

Additionally, non verbal spells are reserved for more advanced and learned practitioners than mere novices (here exemplified by the need for a feat) in Western mythos.

So, yes. The parallel still works. Just because there are exceptions doesn't mean that the general rule doesn't work. This is just one example of how you can justify traditional magic and ban psionics in a fluff manner. You are free to disagree, but we're still massively off topic here.

Spells for the OP: Contingency can quickly become bread and butter for the sorcerer and can lead to some fantastically stupidly powerful situations, e.g. Contingent Invisibility when attacked. Especially for a melee character.

2016-07-24, 03:06 PM
All this discussion about Warblade//Sorcerer vs Warblade//Psion, when even Warblade//Wizard is technically more optimal. That being said, you're not gonna be terrible: you're playing a full spontaneous caster gestalted with a ToB martial monster, you're gonna be fine.

Renen
2016-07-24, 03:46 PM
All this discussion about Warblade//Sorcerer vs Warblade//Psion, when even Warblade//Wizard is technically more optimal. That being said, you're not gonna be terrible: you're playing a full spontaneous caster gestalted with a ToB martial monster, you're gonna be fine.

The reason warblade spoon is mentioned is because psion is closer to sorcerer for those who like that, and there's the heavy armor you can wear for that front line goodness

martixy
2016-07-24, 04:37 PM
There's ways to make the fluff work. Besides, if its gestalt, chances are there's enough stats to go around to have very effective MAD/TAD heroes.

As far as melee spells, there was some dude's Triple strike spell, that gives you 2 extra attacks, and makes your weapon keen.

GreyBlack
2016-07-24, 06:32 PM
Another idea is taking Permanency if you can. Permanent Invisibility please?

Emperor Tippy
2016-07-24, 07:37 PM
Another idea is taking Permanency if you can. Permanent Invisibility please?

The problem with Permanent Invisibility is that you have to die, have it cast on your corpse, and then come back to life in that body. Said invisibility doesn't apply to your clothes or gear, so you would need to make that invisible as well, and still breaks as soon as you attack.

It can be amusing on occasion but generally its really not worth the hassle.

Metahuman1
2016-07-24, 10:23 PM
Are you expecting to spend much time fighting things that are immune to Negative energy/level loss/ability score damage?

If not,

I seem to recall there's a spell, I think it's called poison, that can add 1d10 con damage on a touch attack. I think it was in spell compendium.

there's Also Necromantic Skull Bomb, I think it's in spell compendium or Book of the Undead, maybe Hero's of Horror or one of the complete arcane/mage books. Same damage area and amount as a fireball, but it's negative energy damage, and inflicts 4 lost levels on targets caught by it. Even better, lost levels form repeated castings Stack and don't go away instantly. I believe they can also kill.

There's another touch spell, I think it was called Midnights Caress, it's in the spell compendium for sure. Touch attack that does Negative energy damage, and Con damage on a failed save if I recall it correctly, as much as 2d4 per hit. And it's a touch attack. so, there is that.

GreyBlack
2016-07-25, 03:32 AM
Have you taken Soul Jar yet? Because Soul Jar is broken