Fixer
2007-07-03, 01:58 PM
Rain of Fire

Conjuration (Creation) [Fire]
Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Cylinder (40-ft. radius, 20 ft. high)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: See below
Spell Resistance: No

Thick fiery rain causes the ground in the area to become covered in small, greasy fires. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall and risk catching fire. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can't move in that round, while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details) and may catch fire.

Any creature which falls within the area of effect must make a Reflex save to avoid catching on fire (causing 1d6 damage per round until they take a standard action to put out the fire). Objects within the area of effect automatically catch fire.

Arcane Material Component: A pinch of ash and a few drops of oil.
-------------------------------------------------
More or less an upgraded Grease spell with elements from Sleet Storm.

I_Got_This_Name
2007-07-03, 02:23 PM
I'd expect it to do a bit more damage than just the little bit if people catch fire. Sleet storm also blocks sight, which this doesn't. Then again, sleet storm has no damage output at all.

Maybe 1d6 or 1d4 per round just for standing in it wouldn't be too overpowered.

Fixer
2007-07-03, 02:46 PM
I will run it by the DM. He accepted it in its present form so we will see if he agrees to the update. I agree it is probably 2nd level in its current incarnation.

Fizban
2007-07-03, 03:20 PM
So it's raining flaming oil? I'd give it 1d6 per round reflex half and failed reflex save means another DC 15 one to avoid catching fire, in addition to the grease effect. Don't know if that'd stay level 3, but it's not good enough for a level 4 so...