PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthropes & Crossbreeding

Scorpina
2007-07-03, 03:13 PM
What happens if, for example, a werewolf and a werebear have a baby? Statswise, I'm not seeing any reason why you couldn't have the lycanthrope template twice on the same creature... but does it make logical sense, do you think?

Fixer
2007-07-03, 03:20 PM
As a GM I'd say one or the other animal race would be dominant. We are not having half-were-tiger/half-were-bears in my campaigns.

That's just wrong.

Inyssius Tor
2007-07-03, 03:30 PM
I'd say it makes sense. Whether the lycanthrope in question has five forms (or one humanoid form and two horrific bearwolf forms) is another question entirely.

Fhaolan
2007-07-03, 04:07 PM
Can lycanthropy stack? Can you simultaneously have two forms of lycanthropy? Do they mix?

The weird thing is, I've played in enough campaigns in my life that this question has actually needed to be asked several times. :smallsmile:

In one campaign, they two curses were treated separately. Only one could be 'on' at a time, so one got shifted slightly. The werewolf one triggered at certain times, and the werebear one got triggered at different times. The DM had charts, aparantly.

In another campaign, the forms mixed into a bizzare wolf-rat thing. I never did get a complete explanation for that one.

In a third campaign, the curse 'glitched' and produced a third animal form instead of the two orginal forms. The wolf/tiger lycanthrope child ended up being a were-hyena.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-03, 04:26 PM
Just say that the baby is a shifter (MM3). However if any NPCs found out about it they would just drop kick the baby off of the nearest bridge as soon as it was born.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-07-03, 04:50 PM
When a Weretiger and a Werelion really love each other...

Or a weredonkey and a werehorse. Being a weremule would be pretty lame.

PhallicWarrior
2007-07-03, 05:32 PM
Y'know, I always figured if you got a werewolf and a wererat "together" you'd get something to the order of a werechihuahua.

Stick_Ninja
2007-07-03, 05:40 PM
werebear+wererat=werekoala?

Dausuul
2007-07-03, 09:45 PM
You could always just apply the werewolf template to a bear. Or the werebear template to a wolf.

The real question is, if a yuan-ti mates with a half-dragon, and their offspring mates with the child of a wemic and a satyr, do you get a were-chimera?

...you know, I'd have a lot more excuse for posting stuff like this if I were a drinking man.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-03, 09:59 PM
Wasn't this discussed a week or two ago?

I mean, it was a "Aasimar + Tiefling = ?" thread, but I believe lycanthropes were discussed too...

--

My two cents: a mixed litter (1d3 babies from one type + 1d3 babies from the other type)

What?? you never saw Lady and the Tramp?

Citizen Joe
2007-07-03, 10:06 PM
Lycanthropes are ordinary creatures with a curse. Take your root stock and mix that as appropriate (some don't actually mix elf/orc). The result is a baby that might not have lycanthropy. At some point, it will likely contract the disease/curse from one of the parents. Whichever parent inflicts the child dictates which animal form he gets.

0oo0
2007-07-03, 10:11 PM
You could always just apply the werewolf template to a bear. Or the werebear template to a wolf.

The real question is, if a yuan-ti mates with a half-dragon, and their offspring mates with the child of a wemic and a satyr, do you get a were-chimera?

...you know, I'd have a lot more excuse for posting stuff like this if I were a drinking man.

That is a truly frightening proposition. I really don't wanna know how you'd work it.

Tallis
2007-07-03, 11:04 PM
Lycanthropes are ordinary creatures with a curse. Take your root stock and mix that as appropriate (some don't actually mix elf/orc). The result is a baby that might not have lycanthropy. At some point, it will likely contract the disease/curse from one of the parents. Whichever parent inflicts the child dictates which animal form he gets.

Infected lycanthropes have a curse. Natural Lycanthropes are races.
I'd say infected lycanthropes may or may not pass on their curse, if they do it would most likely be one or the other.
Natural lycanthropes would likely have a combination of the traits of both. On the other hand they might be genetically incompatable and incapable of having children. I would base that on wether or not the base animals could breed. Still born babies might also result from incompatable mixes.

de-trick
2007-07-03, 11:15 PM
or what happens when a gold dragon and a red dragon mate do they get a orange dragon thats true neutral

Grim Greyscale
2007-07-03, 11:29 PM
or what happens when a gold dragon and a red dragon mate do they get a orange dragon thats true neutral

Nope. You'd get a Half-Dragon Dragon. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070401a)

Rincewind
2007-07-04, 02:22 AM
What happens if, for example, a werewolf and a werebear have a baby? Statswise, I'm not seeing any reason why you couldn't have the lycanthrope template twice on the same creature... but does it make logical sense, do you think?

If something like that were ever to happen, the DM should probably leave playing POKEMANZ and quit DM'ing.

Jesus, one must run his game with a little dignity.. :smallbiggrin:

Haikiah
2007-07-04, 02:27 AM
Like all of lifes problems, the answer to this one is "Run away. Fast. Don't look back, it'll just slow you down."

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-04, 04:46 AM
Average the sizes, stats(round up or down if odd), etc. Then apply the lycanthrope template(+2 Wis, Alertness, etc.). If the base humanoid races don't normally mix though, then you're gonna have to average their stats as well.:smalltongue:

Psionic Dog
2007-07-04, 02:08 PM
*sigh*
Ok this is my easy interpretation:
Afflicted: only the first curse works. Afterward the creature gains the shapshifter subtype and becomes immune to other lycanthropic curses.

Breading. *bigger sigh*
After giving my take on one I suppose I am obligated to state my opinion on the other.

For my sanity I'm assuming both are natural lycanthrops with the same base creature.
A: Cowards way out: Despite having the same base creature they are incompatible and nothing will be born.
B: Complicated: one will be dominant (determine randomly for each offspring) create a bloodline for the other side and apply.

Anxe
2007-07-04, 02:38 PM
You could also say that they can't have children. Normal bears and wolves can't.