PDA

View Full Version : Sell Me on a Character

Dralnu
2016-07-22, 03:03 PM
I have the opportunity to play D&D again as a player. The party starts at level 1 and I don't know how far we will go before things inevitably fizzle out.

The rest of the party consists of a Barbarian, Wizard, Fighter (Greatsword).

I'd like to play a ranged damage dealer, or a support that can deal significant damage once a day when the time calls for it. What are some fun character concepts that fit the group dynamic?

I was considering perhaps a Life or Tempest Cleric. Tempest gets martial proficiency so I could use a heavy crossbow and it gets some sweet domain spells. Life doesn't get new spells, but it's spells you'd want to prepare anyway, and it's interesting to me because more efficient healing spells means less spells spent on healing, and more spell slots available to do other things.

What builds would you guys suggest?

Zman
2016-07-22, 03:14 PM
How about playing a Lore Bard, go Variant Human so you can pick up Magic Initiate Sorcerer for Firebolt and Greenflame Blade and a 1st level spell of your choice.

You now have a small amount of scaling ranged damage with firebolt, can toss around slightly better damage with a rapier in close combat with spash damage using greenflame blade, and you are a social out of combat god and full caster who at 6th level can start picking up spells from other classes like Fireball etc. Not to mention you are throwing around Bardic Inspiration and have a complement of control spells and useful abilities. You also have healing like cure light wounds and the all important healing word to tell other they can't die yet and get them back in the fight.

WereRabbitz
2016-07-22, 03:17 PM
Sounds like you want some melee/healing

I would suggest a Paladin Vengeance is fun, but I like Ancients for the aura buffs.

Moon Druid for healing and just shape shift into something monstrous when you need to tank/damage.

Cleric can be fun, but I think first few levels they can be a little boring where as Things like a Druid you can shapeshift early on.

HTH!

Oramac
2016-07-22, 03:19 PM
It's kinda hilarious that I'm following Zman in this. haha. For the record, the build he posted sounds like a lot of fun too.

But I'd throw out the Tempest Sorcerer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493427-Tempest-Sorcerer-Tank), if you think the game will last to 3rd level or higher.

Once (or twice with 6th level cleric) per day you can deal some massive damage, and fairly consistent damage outside of that, plus good AC, mobility, and a few healing spells from the Cleric dip. Your hit points are fairly low, though, so don't get hit. :D

EDIT for fluff: He's a half-elven sailor who (prior to the adventure) experienced a near-death experience during a particularly bad storm at sea. He attributes his survival to (insert deity of storms here), and has since taken some time to study said deity and learn a bit of the clerical arts in relation to his deity. But he knows he's a sorcerer at heart and has chosen to focus on that aspect of his life while still following his deity to the best of his ability.

He wears half-plate and has a full sleeve of tattoos on his right arm showing his time at sea. Also, my DM has given the ok for his arcane focus to have been magically tattoo'd into his right hand.

Biggstick
2016-07-22, 03:20 PM
Moon Druid with the Sentinel Feat. Get the Fighter to grab Mounted Combatant, have him/her mount you in Beast form, and they now have free advantage on attack rolls against anything smaller then the form you choose. You're still a full caster with access to the Druid spell list.

Tempest/Arcane/Light Cleric. Depending on what you think your party will need most. You'll have blast potential as well as Bless for the party. Don't let the party members think of you as a healbot either. You just happen to be able to fling some Healing Words every once in a while.

Dex-based Paladin. Any of the Oaths can gain benefit from this by bringing their own strengths to the build (Channel Divinity from Devotion, Ensnaring Strike + Spell aura from Ancients, Channel Divinity + Hunter's Mark + Haste from Vengeance). You'll also still be providing a great benefit to the group by providing Bless.

Lore Bard + Inspiring Leader. You can mix and match levels of Warlock/Sorcerer if you're looking for more blasting power. You also cover the skill monkey that's lacking in the group, as well as covering anything knowledge based that the Wizard doesn't know. You could even start with two-six levels of Paladin before you go Lore Bard if you want to be a bit more martial based.

Sharpshooter Ranger. This gives your group some serious ranged control/damage. If you decided to grab Crossbow Expert as well, you'll really be pumping out the damage. You'll potentially have all the wilderness problems handled between you and the Barbarian.

I'll add more as I think of them.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-22, 03:21 PM
I have the opportunity to play D&D again as a player. The party starts at level 1 and I don't know how far we will go before things inevitably fizzle out.

I'd like to play a ranged damage dealer, or a support that can deal significant damage once a day when the time calls for it. What are some fun character concepts that fit the group dynamic?

I was considering perhaps a Life or Tempest Cleric. Tempest gets martial proficiency so I could use a heavy crossbow and it gets some sweet domain spells. Life doesn't get new spells, but it's spells you'd want to prepare anyway, and it's interesting to me because more efficient healing spells means less spells spent on healing, and more spell slots available to do other things.

VHuman (Sharpshooter or Skulker)
Druid (Land: Mountain or whatever floats your boat) 2/Rogue 2

Cast Faerie Fire + Move and Hide + Kite

Boost Dex, Con, and Wis. Use wildshape as a utility measure.

Edit

People usually look at the druid and think wildshape/melee, I look at the druid and think "nah nah nah you can't get me"

I would seriously give up wildshape for cunning action on a druid in a heartbeat. The Druid has some pretty awesome spells.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-22, 03:43 PM
You want ranged damage? Look no further than a Warlock, with the potential to hit 4d10+20 damage to a single creature every round. Since you have a Wizard, which generally means your utility is covered, you can forgo grabbing the Tome boon and instead go for something like Chain. And they also provide plenty of "encounter" and "once-per-day" abilities that may tickle your fancy.

Or perhaps a Rogue would interest you? You're current group is dreadfully short on roguish capabilities. With the out-of-combat utility of lockpicking and the like built into the class, you could just as easily lay down some nice damage per round with a ranged weapon sneak attack. Light Crossbows are the best default weapon you have, but if you feel like taking up Weapon Master, you can easily get Heavy Crossbows as your weapon of choice and deal some great 1d10+5+(up to)10d6 damage. If that's not pain, I don't know what is. Plus with the Healer feat, you can use your Bonus Action to use a healer's kit to heal your friends.

If you're interested in a Cleric, may I draw your attention to the Nature Cleric? Particularly a Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric? You can grab Shillelagh to transfer your wisdom into your weapon attack stat with clubs and staves, and ignore needing to pump up Strength because your Dwarven nature lets you ignore the penalties for wearing heavy armor when you don't have enough Strength.

sumg
2016-07-22, 04:09 PM
Classic EB Fiendlock

Start with Fiend so you get some temp HP on kills
Agonzing Blast + Repelling blast for some nice dmg and keep away. Extra devastating with polearm master or a grappler (lift the mob up for you and you send it flying, it ends up prone if it takes fall damage)
and get tome and grab some cantrips (Bard's Vicious Mockery is good supplement against low wis mobs).

You can dip into life cleric if you need the heal at around level 4 or 5 depending if you want that ASI first or not, or even earlier if healing is badly needed, either way you retain full caster levels.

Joe dirt
2016-07-22, 04:12 PM
Go tempest cleric human variant with polearm master and later sentinel and even later take magic initiate for shocking grasp to throw around baddies and stop them from walking around the battlefield..... I played this and had lots o fun plus u can fill the cleric roll nicely with battlefield control as a bonus

MaxWilson
2016-07-22, 04:16 PM

Wait. A build is not a character. A player character has personality, relationships, and goals. A build just has statistics, and any character with that build will behave substantially like any other character with that build in combat.

It's probably pointless to try to sell someone else on a character, because it's so much a matter of taste. Some people love Spider Man's wise-cracking, some people hate it. Some people like underdogs, some like to fantasize about being Mr. Perfect.

Steve Brust seems relevant here. Paraphrasing slightly:

The Cool Stuff Theory of Literature is as follows: All literature consists of whatever the writer thinks is cool. The reader will like the [game] to the degree that he agrees with the [DM and other players] about what's cool. And that works all the way from the external trappings to the level of metaphor, subtext, and the way one uses words. In other words, I happen not to think that full-plate armor and great big honking greatswords are cool. I don't like 'em. I like cloaks and rapiers. So I write stories with a lot of cloaks and rapiers in 'em, 'cause that's cool. Guys who like military hardware, who think advanced military hardware is cool, are not gonna jump all over my books, because they have other ideas about what's cool.

The [adventure] should be understood as a structure built to accommodate the greatest possible amount of cool stuff.

What do you find cool? Magic? Bare-chested relentless barbarians who take an axe to the chest and shrug it off? Killing the enemy before he even knows you're there? Pranks? Heroic sacrifice? Prudence or reckless courage? Selfish evil or thoughtful consideration of others? Chaos or planning?

Figure out what pushes your buttons, and then make a character who pushes those buttons for you.

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-22, 04:17 PM
If the fighter or barb have good dex scores and/or proficiency in either of the dex skills aside from acrobatics, trickery cleric. What you'd need to remember here is that you wouldn't be doing the stealthy stuff yourself, but aiding their ability to do so. You're not a rogue...

...unless you want to be a rogue. I'd recommend going thief at 3 if you want to aid in the support aspect.

But back to the subject of clerics, consider a knowledge cleric - early on you can be the backup for any skill check, and if your game goes long enough, your cantrip sling abilities really kick into gear.

Archfey tome pact warlock would work really well too. More control/debuff, but hey...

Oramac
2016-07-22, 04:19 PM
truncated

Figure out what pushes your buttons, and then make a character who pushes those buttons for you.

An excellent point! And something the OP will certainly need to consider if he wants to have fun with whatever build he chooses. I'll edit my post to include some fluff about my character as an example.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-22, 04:24 PM
How about playing a Lore Bard, go Variant Human so you can pick up Magic Initiate Sorcerer for Firebolt and Greenflame Blade and a 1st level spell of your choice.

You now have a small amount of scaling ranged damage with firebolt, can toss around slightly better damage with a rapier in close combat with spash damage using greenflame blade, and you are a social out of combat god and full caster who at 6th level can start picking up spells from other classes like Fireball etc. Not to mention you are throwing around Bardic Inspiration and have a complement of control spells and useful abilities. You also have healing like cure light wounds and the all important healing word to tell other they can't die yet and get them back in the fight.
Alternately: Valor Bard. Start off with a light crossbow, switch to a heavy at 3rd when you get martial weapon proficiency and to a longbow at 6th when you get Extra Attack. Take Sharpshooter at 3rd, or first as a vHuman if you prefer; you can dump Bardic Inspiration dice into the attack roll if you need, or dip Fighter 1 for the Archery Style. Behold, you're as good an archer for the first few levels as anyone. Now at 10th, when you'd expect a damage boost, you get Magical Secrets for Swift Quiver-- voila, you can make four attacks a round well before the Fighter. Heck, you can get Hex or Hunter's Mark at the same time to really wreck faces. And the whole time, you're still a full-power Bard, with all the skills, support, and spells that entails.

Zman
2016-07-22, 04:32 PM
Alternately: Valor Bard. Start off with a light crossbow, switch to a heavy at 3rd when you get martial weapon proficiency and to a longbow at 6th when you get Extra Attack. Take Sharpshooter at 3rd, or first as a vHuman if you prefer; you can dump Bardic Inspiration dice into the attack roll if you need, or dip Fighter 1 for the Archery Style. Behold, you're as good an archer for the first few levels as anyone. Now at 10th, when you'd expect a damage boost, you get Magical Secrets for Swift Quiver-- voila, you can make four attacks a round well before the Fighter. Heck, you can get Hex or Hunter's Mark at the same time to really wreck faces. And the whole time, you're still a full-power Bard, with all the skills, support, and spells that entails.

Air high five Grod, love that.

MaxWilson
2016-07-22, 06:09 PM

Swift Quiver and Hex both require concentration. You can't stack them.

eldamir
2016-07-22, 06:27 PM

But hunters mark does not require concentration, so that's still there..

MaxWilson
2016-07-22, 06:35 PM
But hunters mark does not require concentration, so that's still there..

Yes, it does.

Hunter's Mark

1st-level divination

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 90 feet
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack, and you have advantage on any Wisdom (Perception) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it. If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your concentration on the spell for up to 24 hours.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-22, 06:52 PM
Curses. Still a great choice, though.

djreynolds
2016-07-22, 08:14 PM
Your party could use some healing.
Some skills, stealth, utility.
Valor bard could do all of this, with ease with bow and spells. No need to multiclass.

And you have a barbarian, fighter, and wizard who need their exploits told. It's all there.

SLIMEPRIEST
2016-07-22, 11:42 PM
You character is a halfling rogue. Dex Con Wis. Get a shortbow and hide daggers in your boots and jacket. Take expertise in stealth and perception. You are a good scout. In combat you can hide and get good damage from sneak attack. You are small so you can hide behind your party members. Enjoy permadvantage.

If you wanna be a face take more Cha.

Lots of backgrounds work for this character.Take any one that seems appropriate.
Plenty of room for whatever feats you want.

Play your character as a foil to the rest of the party. If they are righteous do-gooders, you are a cynical cut throat like the Comedian from Watchmen. If your party refuses to accept your point of view, steal from them. In this case take assassin.

If they are souless murder hobos, you are a noble thief who would never hurt an innocent and likes orphans. You steal from the rich and give to the poor like Robin Hood. In this case take thief with a healing kit.

Either way, force your DM to come up with tavern menus and eat hedonist amounts of fine food. If you are an assassin, convince your DM that hard liquor exists and only drink that. If you are a thief, drink ridiculous amounts of the most expensive wine.

There is plenty of room here for character development. Just keep building.

Remember 2 rogue rules:
1. Fighters are ditses, barbarians are insane and wizards are nerds. Somebody has to be cool.

2. Never get caught. Never get busted. Never get grabbed by a demon. Never get caught and if no one saw it, it didn't happen.

You are a halfling rogue.

MNFN TINY ROGUE!!

P.s.
Get treasure
Get drunk
Get fat

Klorox
2016-07-23, 01:34 AM
Female dwarf life cleric named Sister Sledge. 😎

2D8HP
2016-07-23, 01:46 AM
Seems like the party lacks stealth and could use another healer, so I would go with a Multi-classed Shawdow Monk/Cleric. For good DPR I suggest wielding a Warhammer.
So MC Hammer.
:wink:

Specter
2016-07-23, 06:09 PM
What your party needs is a skill guy, a healer (even without too much power) and in combat someone who can deal damage well. I see either ranger or a Lore Bard or a Trickery Cleric.

Gtdead
2016-07-23, 07:09 PM
I'd go for either Thief with Healer feat, or Lore Bard. I don't think that cleric makes a lot of sense in that setup.

Bard will have an easier time contributing to this party, because you have two strong melees. Just buff them and play your flute or something.
Plus your group is very weak in the social aspect. Both Bard and Rogue will give you HUGE control in this game.

Plaguescarred
2016-07-23, 07:23 PM
Since your party need a healer and you'd like ranged damage, i'd suggest a cleric, bard or perhaps ranger all capable ofslinging spells and arrows.

8wGremlin
2016-07-23, 07:37 PM
Vhuman Lore bard
Dex = 16

Take magic initiate: warlock and get Eldritch blast and Booming blade, as well as hex.
have a rapier in one hand.

or take Crossbow expert, and have a hand crossbow in one hand, nothing in the other

@4th level take:

Lore: When you get to 6th level take Crusader's Mantle and Aura Of Vitality
one gives +1d4 radiant damage to all allies' weapon attacks within the Aura.
the other heals 2d6 every round as a bonus action.

You're also a full Bard.

MightyDog16
2016-07-23, 08:10 PM
How about a Ranger / Life Cleric combo?

You'll need wis for both classes, but you wouldn't need to max it out since the majority of spells you'll be casting aren't going to require an attack or saving throw.
You'll want to max dex and take archery fighting style to ensure that you hit when you attack and make good use of studded leather armor.
As for races, the obvious options are woodelf, human, and halfelf (ghostwise halfling maybe, but no longbow).

The hunter subclass on ranger gives you some very good ways to deal dmg at range as well as some good 1st level spell options for early on that compliment Life Cleric.
Not many people realize that each Goodberry receives the increased healing benefit from Life Cleric, effectively turning 10hp healed into 40hp.

I would recommend getting 5 levels of ranger first to get your extra attack, plus you don't need much healing early on, but you can pick up cure wounds if you're concerned. After that, get your life cleric levels going and you can decide as you go whether you want more cleric or ranger based on what happens in your campaign. You might even consider picking up the Sharpshooter feat if you really want to deal some damage to low AC targets.

Dralnu
2016-07-24, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all the responses!

I was very tempted to go the Bard route but decided at the last minute to go Cleric instead. The Wizard was interested primarily in Illusion / Enchantment magic, so I figured Cleric would have less overlap there.

Since the party did need healing but I didn't want to spend too many resources patching them up, I went for variant human Life Cleric. I took Magic Initiate for my feat, picking up Goodberry + Shillelagh + Druidcraft. With Goodberry, I could make 10 berries per long rest, each one healing for 4 hit points due to my Disciple of Life feature. That let me use my spells on other things, notably Bless and Guiding Bolt, with Shillelagh offering solid damage.

The character worked out well and it was fun. I think the setup is great especially at early levels when you're tight on spell slots.