PDA

View Full Version : Nightfall (IC)

Lentrax
2016-07-22, 03:25 PM
The sun rises over the Running Hills. This night was long for those who found themselves behind the walls of Shaerlorn. Refugees have come streaming through the walls for a month, each of them telling stories. The most bizarre stories, of ships coming from the Mists. Of strange creatures, never before seen, and of the dead rising to take up arms against the living.

And then the armies begin marching past. From the north, Serazi sends her Legions. A Kelean army, marches south shortly after. Smaller forces are heard to be gathering together to form a large force in the western kingdoms, but none have gone south. Many whispers and rumors flew up and down the trading routes of the Threshold. They speak of things rarely heard of: Alliances. Banding together for common defense.

And soon after, comes the reports. Defeat after defeat in the South. The fall of Ar-Keran. The machines of war moving slowly north.

But tonight, none of that matters. It is the Festival of the Third Moon. Tonight, Sera, the largest of Arret's moons rises tonight for the first time in a hundred years. Throughout all the streets of Shaerlorn, people are preparing for the event. Decorations, all of them emerald green to match the moon, are being strung across the wide avenues. Women are wearing thier finest green dresses, and the men are wearing Sprite of green herbs to mark the event.

Today, the war is far away, and people seem to be throwing themselves into the festivities with an almost unheard of fervor.

And far overhead, the floating tower of the Archmagi holds dominion over all, though even it appears to have been decorated in emerald banners and lights to mark the occasion.

For reasons only you truly know, you have found your way here, to Shaerlorn. Around you lies a city in celebration, a city trying to forget the seemingly inescapable clouds of doom looking to the far South.

Narshe
2016-07-22, 08:42 PM
The bright, cheerful morning found Athena riding through a city preparing for celebration. She lounged easily in her saddle with the casual ease of a practiced rider, letting her dusky gray stallion Shadow mostly find his own way through the increasing throngs of celebrants. She smiled wryly as she noticed the color of the season, which almost matcher own forest green. An inquisitive chirp directed her glance down to her arm, resting on her saddlehorn, where her snowy owl Whisper was fluffing his feathers against the morning chill. Widening her smile, she drew her simple cape around the bird, cooing softly to encourage him to rest.

She had ridden through much of the night, relying on the keen senses of her companion to find her way along the road; she had meant to make camp and start the following morning, but she could not, not now, with civilization so close after so many nights alone in the wilds.

She inhaled deeply, drawing into her nostrils the barely familiar scents of a busy town. Her last adventure had gone well; a nice, peaceful job as a guardian for a small outpost of wood elves, who were establishing a shrine to Obad-Hai. It had been a deeply fulfilling mission, spiritually, but had often sent her patrolling deep in the woods, alone. She found herself longing for the companionship of her own kind, and for the sort of creature comforts one does not find in a forest: a nice cold glass of ale, perhaps even a hot bath, and most of all, a warm bed indoors where one need stand watch or fear being attacked by bandits in the night. For one night, anyway - like most good things in life, civilization was best taken in small doses.

That, and because even in the deep woods, rumors her reached her of war, and grave happenings to the south.

Athena did not consider herself much of a crusader - she was not driven by the same zeal for justice or greed as many she had adventured with - but she did enjoy the simple pleasures of life in the great outdoors. To live well and freely in a world full of covetous men cost money, and there were few options for a woman of her interests and aptitudes to earn a comfortable living. Offering her skills as an adventurer suited her well.

And while she had no love of the chaos and imbalance that war brought, or the stifling rules of a military regime, surely troubling times created plenty of opportunity for individuals like herself.

But first, to see about that mug of ale, supposing they had a cask broached this early in the morning. Why not, though she mused to herself - is there not a festival on? She clicked her tongue, and nudged Shadow along with her knees, directing him towards a sign that looked like it advertised a tavern.

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-23, 10:37 AM
Grunner leans against a column outside a tavern, watching the festival.
He is worried.
He's worried partially about the trouble to the South, and partially about all the troops moving through, but he's mostly worried about his job. With this war going on, he's not sure how much longer the Peacock is going to stay open. And if it closes, he's out of a job.
He sighs and adjusts the length of chain coiled around his shoulder.
Problems for another day. The Festival is here right now, and he would be a fool to miss it with fretting.
He pushes himself upright as an unfamiliar horse and rider approach. "Who're you?"

Narshe
2016-07-24, 07:17 PM
Athena looked down at the man who'd just addressed her. He had the look of a wood elf; folk with whom she was very familiar. Not known for being exceptionally bright, but she had always found them stalwart, reliable in a fight, and honorable to deal with. She addresses him in Elven, "Well met, friend. I am just another stranger in town for the festival, but a friend of your kind."

She let an appraising glance linger for a moment. This one had the look of one who knew his way around a battlefield, yet bore no military insignia - traits she had come to associate with her fellow soldiers of fortune. She continues in Common, "Say, I'm not exactly a city-slicker. I don't suppose you'd care to show a new girl around town? I want a hot bath, cold ale, and lodging for myself and my animals, and then, I'd like to see what you city folks do for fun!"

Nightraiderx
2016-07-24, 09:10 PM
Alexander came to Shaerlorn, ragged and bitter. He was alone, the unsettling feeling washed over him. He didn't want to think back to his family in Ar-Keran. I'll make the bastards pay... his body shook as he remembered to himself.

It was a stormy night that fateful day. As a noble of a prestigious military family the news of the hordes of monsters of the north didn't bother him. He was primed and ready to defend the glory of the crown and lead his troops to victory. I shall win the glory for my name. was what rang through his mind and he roused his men to stand guard. But when the wave after wave stormed the kingdom, reality hit him hard. Comrades in arms killed and made to fight the dead, he had seen nothing like it. Fear swept through him as he lead his battalion not in a battle of glory but a battle for survival. He was overrun and was forced to retreat to the north. He felt powerless and angry at himself as more and more of his men fell to grievous injury and fatigue. All his men perished but him as he made the way to the doorstep of the refugee camp.

Alexander snapped out of his haze, looking at the festivities he wanted to forget for at least one night and then think of what to do next. It was odd for him to be alone, having always been surrounded by servants and trainers he was unsure where to go, he knew he needed food and a stable for the horse he rode into battle. He did not know it's name but it's efforts would not be in vain without reward. He notices a few beings that catches his eye and rides towards them. "It seems you might have an idea where food and board may be," he directs his question to the half-elf. "what are your names?"

Narshe
2016-07-25, 12:34 AM
Athena looks at their latest arrival and raises a hand in greeting. "I'm Athena, a free ranger and wanderer." She notes the dust of travel on the human man's clothes, and the haunting look in his eyes. "Say, you look like you could use a drink even more than me."

She looks at the sign of the Peacock. I like this tavern so far - it seems to attract all the right sorts of people. If you'd like to join me inside, what's say the first round is on me? Us outlanders should stick together - and the elf as well." She winks at the barbarian. "I'm not going to believe you got all those muscles from soft living here in town."

achinca
2016-07-25, 09:03 AM
Pelric is lost in his thoughts as he approaches Shaerlorn with a group of refugees. It seems to him like only yesterday when he was a Pelor apprentice, washing and feeding the experienced priests around him in the Church. Then the dead rose. And the priests who fell fighting the dead rose too. Pelric got lucky, very lucky. He was smart with his spells and handy with his mace just enough to find a war horse whose rider had become a zombie to ride away. He kept finding undead as he rode north, trying to avoid them whenever possible and dispatching them when needed.

He found this group of refugees and provided much needed healing and some rest for his tired body but none for his soul or his mind. Everything he was told to believe in what upside down. Although his faith in Pelor was untouched, he could not understand what was happening and prayers after prayer went unanswered. He had no idea what was happening but strongly believed that Pelor kept him alive for a reason. After entering the city, the bid adieu to the refugees and went to look for a temple of Pelor. He could not find any and the people in the city were either refugees or just interested in that green moon festival so they could not really help him. He abandoned his search and let the wind lead him. He saw a tavern named "The Peacock" and thought that a glass of milk or lemon water would be welcome. He noticed a woman elf and a armored noble on his horse so he asked to neither one of them specifically in a very monotone tone "Do you know what the stables are to put my horse?".

He thought "I should give a name to the horse. By why bother. With my luck, the beast will likely die soon. And look at all these people, happy and ready to celebrate. Do they have any idea of the horrors coming their way? Fools, all of them."

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-25, 03:21 PM
Grunner shakes his head ruefully. Here he was worring about his job when a whole slew of customers shows up. He casts a weather eye over them. None of them look like trouble, so he answers.
"This here's the Peacock," he says gruffly. "Best tavern in town. Stables are down the street," he says while pointing, "And The King's Anvil - that's the inn - is right up by the center of town. Though Cob might have a few rooms in the back if you want to stay here."
"If you're looking for entertainment, today's the Festival of the Third Moon. Big event hereabouts, and let me tell you - we're doing a roaring trade."
Pushing himself away from the wall, he turns to Athena specifically. "I'd like that, I s'pose. Keep an eye on the inside while I'm at it."

achinca
2016-07-25, 03:41 PM
Pelric nods at the strong man in front of the Peacock and goes to put his horse in the stable. His mood is gloomy and walks back in silence to the tavern. He enters it and the place is packed and in a party mood. His first reaction is to walk away but he could really use a glass of milk or lemon-water. He looks for a quiet and isolated spot but cannot find any.

Finally he sees the elven woman that was in front of the Peacock when he arrived. He approaches her and nods "Do you mind if I share your table? I will not bother as I will keep quiet. You won't even notice that I am here."

Jormengand
2016-07-25, 05:12 PM
Zandra was worried.

Not just worried that the enemy were amassing to the south. More worried that no-one was doing anything about it. Parties went on even with danger at hand. The town ought to have been mobilising for war. They didn't have time for this.

In any case, at least she was standing guard over them. Her duty? No, but who could have told her from the guards milling about anyway, save that she noticeably increased their number?

In any case, there was little to do. She saw a few people milling around outside some establishment by the rather uninspiring name of the peacock, and was half-tempted to go for a drink. But, no. She supposed she ought to stay alert, after all. The chances that the city would provide anything useful for her to do were slim, but nonetheless existent.

Narshe
2016-07-25, 10:17 PM
Athena nods at the barbarian. "See you inside, then, in two shakes. And I hope the rest of you will join us as well!" Then, digging her heels into Shadow's flanks, she half-gallops through the crowd to the stable, and sees that he is safely taken care of and then makes her way back to the inn, waving at a bored-looking paladin on her way.

Once inside the inn, finds a table large enough for a few people, and flops into a seat, with Whisper perching on the seat back behind her. She orders a round of three ales, for herself, the barbarian, and outlander fighter, hoping they will join her, as well as a tall pitcher, and drains her ale almost as soon as it is set before her.

As the cleric approaches her, she nudges another chair out from under the table with a foot with a throaty laugh and pours herself another round from the pitcher. "Oh, do sit down, Holy Father, and I most certainly hope you will not keep quiet! What'll it be, milk? Apple juice? I've just spent nearly a year with men of the cloth, you know, with their vows of sobriety and celibacy. Or...", she leans forward, teasingly arching an eyebrow "Could I convince you to cheat, just this once?" She flags down a server, ordering whatever the cleric picks.

Once more people join, she settles back her chair, and addresses the table. "Anyhow, we might as well get to know one another - no doubt we share more in common than the good, hard-working townsmen outside. The tales of what we've seen on our travels would only scare the poor dears, sleeping warm and safe inside their high walls." Her smile becomes rueful. "No, they have folks like us to face danger for them, so they don't have to. Well, why don't you tell us a bit about yourselves, and how you came to this troubled little corner of the world?"

achinca
2016-07-26, 10:55 AM
Pelric nods and sits next to Athena. He stays silent as he sips his lemon water and finally answers the elf lady "I never took any vow of celibacy or abstinence from alcohol. But when you have seen what I have seen, you learn that alcohol makes the nightmares worse. This is why I drink lemon water or milk. And in term of celibacy, my coins are limited and who has time for a courtship given the horrors waiting outside. So companionship will wait."

He stays quiet before shaking his head in disgust "These people are insane. Here they are partying, not preparing for the evil and monstrosity coming from the south."

He takes his symbol of Pelor from under his shirt and kisses it before putting it back. "We will try to safe as many as possible, knowing that the ones we cannot save will turn against us as undead. This is what I have been fighting since I am running away from the south. This is a war that without the help of the gods we cannot win."

Nightraiderx
2016-07-26, 01:35 PM
Alexander nods to Athena's request his eyes still a bit black from tiredness, "That sounds good about now, but let me get this horse to the stable first..." Alexander makes movement to take the horse to the stall before returning sometime afterwards. Alexander sees the others from before, he found it odd she was that open, but probably because she knew nothing of his rank. Not that it mattered now. Alexander slumps a bit into the corner taking heavy swigs of Ale that Athena offered the group.

Narshe
2016-07-26, 02:15 PM
Athena laughs as the priest mentions companionship. "I was only joking, friend - what sort of person do you think I am? I just barely met you! What do I call you, by the way? And you can call me Athena - until we get to know each other better, anyway, when I might let you call me something else." She teases again, winking to make it clear that she is joking this time.

She sips her drink as she listens to his words on the festival, and when he is done, she sets down the mug and stares into it as if it were a deep well. "So, perhaps you are right about the people partying - you'd know more about duty, and morality, and the proper thing to do. But I'll tell you what I've seen, and what little I know. You see, I've made sort of a study of the undead - the better to hurt them, you understand." She shrugs. "I suppose it fits with the dogma of my god, Obad-Hai, but I'm not what you'd call devout. It's more of a matter of practicality with me. I kill the things that people pay me to kill, so I try to be good at it."

She looks up, making eye-contact with the priest. "And there's a reason they pay me to fight the walking dead. Even the weakest zombie is more than a match for a commoner armed with a pitchfork or bludgeon. These are peasants and townsmen, not warriors. How many of them even have a decent weapon, let alone know how to use? No, my friend, let them enjoy what days they have left, because I doubt they could defend themselves even if they prepared. Maybe we can't help them all, and maybe this isn't a war but we can win. But maybe that's just nature's way. So let the flowers bloom while the sun's out, is the way I look at it. And pay people like us to make the sunlight last as long as possible."

achinca
2016-07-26, 03:15 PM
Pelric looks at Athena and bows. "I want to apologize. I did not mean to imply that you were looking for coins or companionship. I am really sorry about that. I have not had many conversations with others. I just came in with a group of refugees who were to scared to talk and I do not blame them, given what I to try to turn or bludgeon into oblivion. So please apologize for my poor manners. It is another reason why I try to stay silent. I often say the wrong thing."

He extends his hand. "Nice to meet you Athena. I am Pelric, worshiper of Pelor. Devotion and worship are personal matters and I never judge them. The relationship between you and your god is personal and as long as it is a positive relationship, who I am to try to convince you of the opposite?" He attempts to smile but the smile is tired.

Some life returns to his eyes when Athena mentions undead "So you have met and destroyed these monstrosities? And you are a sell sword specialized in eliminating this menace? You must be in high demand. The commoners as you call them, have no chance against the dead. To them a pitchfork is to move hay, not kill. I taught my refugees that running and avoidance should always be their first and primary option. I fight for them and accept what they value my services are worth. With my refugees, I was worth sleeping in a wagon for 10 days. How could have asked for more when they had lost everything and more? I am here to stop the advance of darkness although I feel that I am totally failing at it. I ......"

He stops and sights "I am sorry Athena. I speak too much. It must be the lemon water. It went straight to my head."

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-26, 03:17 PM
"Grim talk," comments Grunner as he slides into a chair at the table. "Is it justified? I'll admit, what reports we here from the South are garbled. Rumors at best." He shakes his head. "And I can't say I'm qualified to pick out the truth; never been a brainy type, you know."

Nightraiderx
2016-07-26, 04:40 PM
Alexander slams the mug laughing a bit at himself and a bit at the others.
"Destroy? Them?! I was in Ar-Keran. I was son to the Grinchen knights, it's next heir, Alexander Grinchen!" Alexander throws the crest on the table. "We were overrun, the best fighters I had slain before me and turned against me,
barely escaping that hell and you speak of protecting this town? laughable I say! These people are
better off enjoying their time for it may be their last soon!" And with that finishes off his drink and crumbles onto the table the thoughts playing over and over in his head looking at nothing but the wood of the table.

Narshe
2016-07-26, 08:57 PM
Athena sympathetically pats Pelric's shoulder. "No need to be sorry. These are trying times... And anyway, they are only words. If we can't even face words, how can we face what's out there? Speak your mind and lighten your burdens, I always say, rather than let them weigh down your spirits."

Then, she blinks, startled by Alexander's outburst. "Poor old sod. Let's get you something stronger than ale, hm?" She signals to a barkeep, and then, turning to Grunner, she says, "Well, there's your answer, straight from the horse's mouth. Apparently, we've been fortunate thus far in the North. I myself have had a small degree of success hunting the weaker ones, though as Pelric says, it is often better to run. I've said that I'm not very devout, but neither am I faithless - and Obad-Hai teaches us that undeath is a plague upon the natural order that must be fought. As you say, it may ultimately be a losing battle." She raps the table next to Alexander. "Filled with devastating losses. But Nature is often cruel, and death is a part of life - that's reality. If you fight for a cause, then that cause doesn't stop being right just because you get kicked down sometimes. Listen, the gods only know why these things happen, but you sound like men of honor and compassion. The pain that you must be feeling just affirms your strength of character. Wear it as a badge of honor and draw strength from it for the fights ahead, not despair."

She drains the last of her ale, and winks. "Anyway, that's just how I see it. But what do I know, I'm just a sell-sword. Think about it this way. I try to help as much as I can, but if it ends up being not good enough, well, at least I got paid." Whisper chirps at her shoulder, and it almost sounds like laughter. "Now what's say someone else picks up another round or two, and we can day-drink in honor of the fallen, and toast our solemn oaths to do as much good as we can before we bite it."

Lentrax
2016-07-27, 07:43 AM
Outside the tavern, Zandra sees someone running through the crowd, throwing themselves at people. The man looks upset. Very upset. But most of the people recoil from him, and the soldiers shove him back into the crowd. As he gets closer you finally see why.

He is a Street Elf. His copper skin and pale golden eyes give that away. Though he is dressed incredibly well, meaning he at least knew some kind of trade, he was still treated as beneath everyone else. He is still making his way through the crowd, but no one seems to want to listen to him or what he wants.

Inside, the talk is mostly jovial, people talking about the night's festival, and how it was nice to have something to celebrate in the midst of all the chaos coming from the south. Even though Shaerlorn's walls have never in four millennia been breached, the people are terrified. And despite your disdain at the celebrations around them, you all feel the tension buried beneath it. The smiles are strained, the jokes stale and poorly delivered. And not all are speaking of the festival. At a nearby table, a group of men are talking over their game of dice.

"... came out in the middle of the night."
"Really? just walked right out into the open?"
"Brazen of them, wasn't it? Went right up to Jove's house. Broke the door down and killed him as he sat in his chair."
"What about Meredith? What happened to his wife?"
"No trace of her. Or their two girls."
"How do you know it was the elves what done it?"
"The tracks. Came out of the woods near his house, and went right back into it. Along with tracks that might be the womenfolk. Disappeared not too far into the woods. Must be a Pathway near there. Damn slippery elves with their magic."
The other men at the table just whistled softly through their teeth as the story was laid out to them.

achinca
2016-07-27, 08:16 AM
Pelric nods at Athena, glad that she realized that he is sometimes very clumsy with words. When Alexander has his outburst, he awkwardly pad him on the bad. "It is OK brother. I have not seen or heard anyone reporting a victory against them. That is the thing about the dead. They don't care. They don't care if you are rich, poor, human, elf, a good man, a bad man, pretty or ugly, devout or faithless, they go after you. We are just meat to them."

He nods to Athena "I will take the next round. Although my head needs to stay clear, there are others who need to drown their sorrows."

Pelric hears the conversation and looks at Athena as wood elves are being accused of murder and kidnapping. He waits for her reaction before saying or doing anything.

Narshe
2016-07-27, 11:31 AM
Athena exhales sharply. "Well, gents, looks like the walking dead aren't our only problem. And I think I have an interesting proposition for you. Fate or chance brought us together somehow, and I see a chance for us to do some good here. I mean, what are the odds that a band of capable adventurers just happens to wander into a tavern, and end up with a potentially significant quest?"

"Alexander," she says, trying to get the man's attention. "You have been through hell, but you don't look beaten to me. Are you ready to swing back at the world that knocked you down, and remind yourself that there are still fights that you can win?"

"Pelric", she says to the cleric. "You've worked so hard to protect the innocent. Is your conviction just as strong to find the guilty and bring them to justice? Murder doesn't sound like the work of any elves that I know, which means someone is going to a lot of trouble to stir up more trouble."

"And you, my elven friend", she says to Grunnar. "This unfortunate event will create... tensions, unless someone gets to the bottom of it. It is in your best interest to help these townspeople. And anyway, aren't you eager to put all those muscles of yours to better use than breaking up tavern brawls?"

"As for myself, well, this is what we call an employment opportunity. Please don't judge me too harshly; you wouldn't steal a loaf of bread from a baker, would you? Likewise, if we are to risk our lives and expend our energy for the benefit of others, compensation is a fair and just thing to expect... And think of all the people you could help with the money, if you like."

"Well, what do you all say? Can we work together on this? We will need to find out more about what's going on, and then figure out a way of getting paid to help..."

Jormengand
2016-07-27, 12:19 PM
Zandra walked up to the elf and looked at him askance. "Come, now, what is it you have to say? I'll make it heard if it's worth hearing."

achinca
2016-07-27, 12:25 PM
Pelric nods at Athena "If an innocent woman and her children have been kidnapped and are in danger, you can count on me. If they are in the darkness, I will do what I can to bring the light of Pelor to them. And if at the same time, I can clear the name of innocent people, you can count me in again. I do not really care about the payment. Helping innocent is a reward enough. If there is gold or other in kind benefits, it is an added bonus but it is not necessary."

He stops before looking at Athena right in the eyes "Be careful that your love of gold does not confuse your sense of right and wrong. Gold is a great servant but an awful master."

Lentrax
2016-07-27, 01:59 PM
Zandra walked up to the elf and looked at him askance. "Come, now, what is it you have to say? I'll make it heard if it's worth hearing."

The elf falls to his knees as someone finally stops to hear his pleas. He looks to be on the verge of weeping, but somehow controls it. "Oh, thank you! Bless you, my lady! Bless you!"

On his knees he looks up at you, his eyes beginning to water. He starts beseeching you, hands clasped together before him.

"Please, m'lady. Please. You must help her. They took her and disappeared. They took her in the dead of night.... She is gone. Please. Help me find someone who can find my sister..."

Nightraiderx
2016-07-27, 03:23 PM
Alexander barely listened to their words, fear and anger swirled in his mind. Anger that he could do nothing, anger that he ran instead of fighting. Hearing of the other's family gone missing he could only think of his family, the one he couldn't save. As Athena's words rang out as she addressed him. Yes, as long as he was alive he can rebuild the reputation of his crest. He didn't move for a moment digesting the information before reaching out and gripping tightly his emblem pulling it back to him as he raised his head. "There is still fights to win, and with each fight I can move closer to avenging my family." He said curtly rising to his feet and walking over to the men talking about the rumors, "Where can I find the one you are talking about his missing wife and children? I can take the job my group over there. Of course it may cost him some coin depending on his financial situation."

Narshe
2016-07-27, 07:10 PM
As Alexander goes to talk to the elf, she nods at Grunnar and Pelric. "Fine, first we help, then we worry about payment."

She orders an extra pitcher of ale and takes it over to the men playing the dice game. "Pardon me, gentlemen, I thought I'd bring you some ale and wish you a happy festival! Listen, I'm new in town, and I couldn't help overhearing that there's mischief afoot, with murder and kidnapping? Myself and my friends over there are adventurers - maybe we can be of some use in figuring out what happened, and getting your womenfolk back. If we wanted to help, who could we speak to about picking up this investigation?"

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-28, 09:30 AM
Grunner remains silent. Decisions take time, in his experience, so he says nothing as he deliberates.

achinca
2016-07-28, 11:54 AM
Pelric watched Athena address the men paying dice and spewing the rumors. He took another sip of his lemon water and waited. The elf woman seemed full of energy and desire. He was tired of leading after that long escape with the refugees. He did not mind taking a back seat role. He would offer his wisdom if needed but right now, it felt good not thinking about the future.

Lentrax
2016-07-28, 12:08 PM
The dice clatter to a halt, and the men stop thier playing and drinking to look at the elf who just walked up to them.

"Oh. I'm sure you would just like that, wouldn't you, elf. Just happen to be here to offer your 'help,' I'm sure. Damn elves just can't help it can you? Wasn't enough for you to defend your damn cities when we was fighting the wars years back, but now you hafta take our womenfolk, too?"

The other men at the table are all nodding and offering thier agreements to what thier friend is saying, and at the outburst, some of the people at the other tables have stopped to see what was going on near them.

achinca
2016-07-28, 12:22 PM
Pelric hears the comments addressed to Athena. He sights, gets up and go behind Athena. He puts a hand on her shoulder and gives her a gentle squeeze, as a sign to stay cool.

He clears his throat and looks at the man who spoke right in the eyes. "When I was a Pelor apprentice, I was taught a lot about darkness of evil. I tought that evil was easy to identify; undead, monsters, etc. But I soon realize that there is a darkness in the heart of men that is scary that the evil you can see. That darkness has many names, racism, stupidity, bigotry, hatred, xenophobia but mainly it is fear. It is the fear of one's inadequacy to the task at hand. This lady elf offered our help to find that poor innocent woman and her daughters. She did thins because she cares and she is a good person. Instead of understanding that, you realized that you were a failure. Instead of going after the missing, you are here drinking and playing dice. You can insult and threaten the elves because they are different but all you do is masking the fear of your own inadequacy and failure. But it does not have to be that way. You can accept who you are and try to become a better person. You can choose not to hide under racism and bigotry and instead accept your own limits and fear and help us find that woman and her children. You can provide information or insult an entire race and increase the chances that bad things will happen to them. The choice is yours and the gods are watching ....."

Lentrax
2016-07-28, 01:35 PM
"This ain't your concern, holy man. The elf can speak for herself and her kin."

Narshe
2016-07-28, 01:51 PM
Athena grins at Pelric. "Well said, my friend." Then, shakes out her hair, runs her fingers through it, and tucks it behind her not-pointy-at-all-curved ears. Then, she leans over the table on her elbows with what she hopes is a coy smile. "I think there's been some confusion here, friend. I'm as human as you are - why would I want to take your womenfolk when I'm *one of them*?" She laughs, trying to lighten the mood.

"But the holy father of Pelor here is absolutely right. I have lived with elves my whole life, and this does not seem like something they would do, to me. But, you know these parts better than I do, and there are good and bad folks in every kind of people. Maybe the elves here are different - it could have been dark elves, who knows. All I am saying is to withhold judgement until we have some proof. Believe me - my friends have seen things out there from our most horrific nightmares. This isn't the time to let prejudice get in the way."

"All we want to do, honestly, is to help get your people back, and bring *whomever* is responsible to justice. You have my word that they won't escape us, be they human, elf, or animated wardrobe." She snatches the dice, and gives them a playful toss. "Besides, a girl's got to eat. So reconsider, hm? Let my friends join you for a friendly round of drink, and tell us your troubles - we'll see what we can do to make them no longer troubling."

(( OOC: Sigh, you gave us 35 points, I knew I'd regret dumping charisma and not putting any ranks in bluff. ))

Lentrax
2016-07-28, 02:04 PM
"Then your problem is even worse. You're an elf lover. You'd probably want to think about leaving about now."

Narshe
2016-07-28, 02:35 PM
For an instant, Athena sees red, and imagines herself tipping the pitcher of ale over the man's head, or feeding him his own dice. Instead, she takes a deep breath and exhales, and decides to try diplomacy, although she's not particularly skilled at working with people. She steps back from the table with a smile and a curtsy. "Sorry you feel that way, friend. Enjoy the ale, and the festival."

She turns, beckoning whisper to her arm, and speaks to the man's friends as well as to the entire tavern. "I'm sure any minute now, a 100% pure human-loving human army will happen by and solve all your problems. I'm sure when you feel the ice-cold grip of a dead thing on your flesh, and its fetid corpse breath in your face, you'll be glad you stuck with your own kind, because who needs the help of some shifty elves and elf-lovers, hm? There's only about a hundred of them for every one of you, and although their numbers grow by the day, and they travel relentlessly without rest, can't be reasoned with, and don't show mercy... well, I'm sure you'll figure something out *all by yourselves* before they rend your flesh and suck the marrow from your bones."

Turning to Pelric and Grunnar, she says "Well, looks like we aren't welcome here, but it's a big town - for now, anyway. From what I've seen down south, towns don't say so big and pretty once the walking dead get done with them." Raising her voice, she says as she walks towards the door, "If any of the rest of you good people decide to see reason and let professionals handle the trouble on your behalf, come find me."

(( OOC: Untrained diplomacy attempt - is there any chance of a circumstance bonus from roleplaying that speech? I got the idea from Data in Ensigns of Command *gigglesnort* ))

achinca
2016-07-28, 02:50 PM
Pelric looks at the man with a lot of sadness in his eyes "It is truly a tragedy that your heart is so full of darkness and hatred. I have seen what is coming from the south and when they arrive, you will realize that you should have been united and not divided. There is no room for racism. All the races have good and bad people. It is a shame that your own limitations are preventing you from seeing the light. You will go to bed tonight knowing that you are likely responsible for the fate of that woman and her children. Remember, the gods are always watching."

He turns around and follows Athena "I am a lover of good people regardless of race, and protector of the innocent and the hopeless and defenseless. Let see if there are good people who can help us."

Nightraiderx
2016-07-28, 04:25 PM
Alexander slams that table and moves his head closer staring the man down in that face, "I find it funny you think of
racial issues when there is a much bigger threat- undead. You really are naive of the hell that
will make it to this place and unlike any flesh-breathing creatures they won't care who you are or what you do.
They will turn your friends on you like that, as they die and rise again as warped empty vessels who know
of only one thing, killing. So I suggest you swallow whatever empty pride it is now before it gets forcibly ripped away by reality. Been there done that." Alexander rises himself from the table turning to the rest, "I'm going outside, if you disturb and talk rudely again I will have no qualms closing your mouth for you." Brandishing his emblem at the men, "Know this for I am a man with high influence, understand?"

Lentrax
2016-07-28, 04:59 PM
"Influence among rats and elves is-"

A hand claps down on Alexander's shoulder. As it does so, a woman speaks interrupting the man in the middle of his sentence. Her tone is polite, if not a bit condescending. A woman wearing silks as red as her hair stands before you.

"Sir. You and your friends are being asked to leave. Do so in peace. Darrin has waived your tab, you owe nothing."

She then thrusts her hand, pointing at the men sitting at the table. "You lot. Grab your coin, what few you have, and get out. Leave the 4 labors, three pence you owe for your ale, and get out."

Narshe
2016-07-28, 07:52 PM
Athena pouts. "I travelled with a bard once who could have made the same speech and had the tavern eating out of his hands. Are you going to insist that we help that particular one, or would your Pelor mind if we left him for the zombies?"

Stepping outside, she sees that same paladin from before, speaking to an elf. Walking up to the paladin, she waits for a pause in the conversation before speaking. "Excuse me, m'am, but are you in charge of the town guard around here? We were just in the tavern and heard some troubling rumors about innocent folk being murdered and abducted in the night. My friends and I were wondering if we could be of service looking into the trouble for you - seeing as how you are busy with the festival here, and the defense of the town from the undead..."

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-28, 08:00 PM
For a moment, Grunner sits at the table, alone. Then he finishes his drink. Then he goes and talks to the bartender. Then he retrieves a pack from under the bar. Then he walks outside.
"Not like the job was gonna last much longer anyway," he mumbles to himself.

achinca
2016-07-29, 08:56 AM
Pelric nods at Athena "Bards have magic tongue and can completely captivate a crowd. I am simple priest who does his best when he is silent. And yes, I would save that man full of darkness from the undead, even if he thought nothing of me. This is what I was taught and this is what I do. This realm needs more compassion, not less."

He looks perplexly at the woman in red but decides to follow her advice and leave. "The bigots might not be good people, but they are not the real enemy."

Nightraiderx
2016-07-29, 09:52 AM
Alexander sighs, "pardon me miss, I had lost myself for a moment and will take my leave gracefully." Alexander follows the rest out of the tavern the different of light making his eyes squint a bit.

Narshe
2016-07-29, 01:11 PM
Athena sighs at Pelric. "I was afraid you might feel that way. Well, my deity teaches us to cull the weak and dangerous so that the herd might survive, and I have a strong feeling that one qualifies. I can promise that I will not personally target him for vengeance, but if I don't stick my neck out for him, I hope you'll understand."

Lentrax
2016-07-29, 05:52 PM
Shortly after you all exit the tavern, the redheaded woman exits as well. Seeing you all not far away, she approaches you. In the sunlight, you get a better look at her. Her dark skin contrasts with the silver tattoos that decorate her face with graceful swirling patterns and dots. The silks she wears are loose, flowing and elegant. Every step she takes belies a grace incredibly uncommon among any human. But the curved blades of twin scimitars resting against her wide hips identifies her to Alexander. She is one of the Se'ed. A tribe of nomads who wanders the deserts or Ar-Keran. They are a harsh but fair people, though to Alexander's knowledge, none ever wear two blades. This makes her either a person of note, or of shame.

"Drunkards. You see them everywhere. I doubt thier words belie what is truly upon thier hearts. I hope you judge them not for having deeply held emotions in these troubled times. My name is Syndram Pesxha. I bear a message to you from those who would have worthy ears hear the words."

Narshe
2016-07-29, 11:06 PM
Athena shakes her head clear of the fog from her own round of ales. She looks around at her friends, and then back to the woman. "I suppose we owe you for keeping a cool head in there and getting us out before things got even got even uglier. Please speak your message."

Nightraiderx
2016-07-30, 04:08 PM
"I fear that it is the liquor that truly reveals what is in a man's heart, but I digress. Syndram let us hear what you have to say." Alexander rubs his head a bit observing the two blades, wondering how she came about it.

Lentrax
2016-08-01, 06:19 AM
Syndram shakes her head.

"Not here. The message is only for the worthy, not the unenlightened masses.

achinca
2016-08-01, 08:34 AM
Pelric winks. "This is why I don't drink. Nothing good comes out of it. Lead the way Mylady."

Narshe
2016-08-01, 02:52 PM
Athena narrows her eyes suspiciously. "Fine, the stable, then, in broad daylight. If you'd prefer was not overheard, write it down and give it to us. I'd rather not let a stranger lead me down any alleys in an unfamiliar town."

Lentrax
2016-08-03, 03:25 AM
The silver tattoos glimmer as Syndram considers the responses.

"Stable? No. We cannot go to a stable. I cannot do this. I will take you to my home. There I have the means to convey the words. Please understand. These are not my words."

Nightraiderx
2016-08-03, 06:09 AM
"You pull anything funny and you know just because I know of your kind won't stop my blades."
Alexander turns to the rest of the group. "Well? Any lead better than none in this god-forsaken town. I say we go."

achinca
2016-08-03, 08:28 AM
Pelric does a small bow to the woman and addresses her with a respectful smile.

"Lady Syndram, please understand the cautiousness of my companions. They have gone through horrific experience and learned that prudence keep you alive. I do not believe you have evil in your heart and I could easily find out but it would not be gentleman like to do so. As far as I know, you are not undead so I feel already more secure. But please be aware that we are not naive farmers who came for the first time to the big city. Lead us but know that we are watching."

He bows and smiles again as he concludes his talk.

Lentrax
2016-08-03, 08:40 AM
"So you say, city-dweller. But you will find it is not I who tastes steel. I offer you my shade in peace."

The woman leads you through several streets. The revelry seems to be in full swing, and more than once, you have to stop as processions parade down the wide avenues.

Soon, you arrive at a three story building. Syndram opens the door and leads you up to the third floor. Opening a door at the end of the hallway, she motions you inside. The interior of the apartment is decorated with more silks. Large pillows sit around the low table in the center of the room.

"My shade is yours."

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-03, 10:25 AM
Grunner remains silent, looking around the room in with an apathetic eye. There is a distinct lack of noise or alcohol - a change, for him.

achinca
2016-08-03, 10:56 AM
Pelric looks at Athena and then Alexander "What is it with women, silk and pillows?" he says to no one in particular.

He turns to Syndram. "Why do you call it your shade? And where is that voice who is supposed to talk to us?"

Narshe
2016-08-03, 01:51 PM
Athena follows the group, albeit trying to make careful note of the path that they take.

Once at Syndram's house, she launches her owl to keep guard outside.

She looks around at the relative opulence of Syndram's house in wonder. "Some women and silks, Pelric. Give me a soft bed of grass and fallen leaves any day. And well, 'shade' must be a cultural thing from the Southern Lands, where it is hot all the time. In my woodland home, we might invite you to share our 'fire', for instance."

achinca
2016-08-03, 06:36 PM
"Shade? Fire? We call it home where I come from. Simple. Efficient. And you are the first woman I met that does not want silk and pillows. Even the sisters at the temple never had enough pillows."

He smiles and waits for Lady Syndram to explains herself.

Narshe
2016-08-03, 11:32 PM
Athena smirks at Pelric. "There are women who like silks, women who like swords, and apparently, women who like both. Instead of acting surprised, you ought to meet more women and ask them what they like with an open mind." she teases. "Who knows. Maybe those sisters of yours could never get enough maces and morningstars, either." Laughing, she pads over to one of the cushions and awkwardly perches on it while she waits for Syndram to speak.

Nightraiderx
2016-08-04, 04:43 AM
Alexander looks around, "I see you've done well for yourself here at least now let us know what you have to say."

achinca
2016-08-04, 08:05 AM
Pelric starts turning red like a real ripe tomato in the middle of summer. "Well, talking to women ..... easier said than done .... they are just ....."

He swallows hard, realizing that he is making a fool out of himself but somehow cannot stop talking "The sisters loved their weapons and trust me were tougher than a lot of men, but they still like their pillows and silk .... I should stop talking ... I think I probably don't know enough about the subject."

Lentrax
2016-08-04, 08:43 AM
"You should learn manners, city-dweller. One sun yet to come, it may land you in trouble. But very well, if you only wish to hear the words..."

Syndram sits, adjusting herself on one of the larger pillows. She closes her eyes and then lowers her head until her chin rests on her chest. Her breathing deepens, and then slows, with longer and longer pauses between breaths. Then she raises her head and opens her eyes. They now glow with a silver light the same color as her tattoos. When she speaks, her voice has become deep, like someone else speaks through her.

So... Syndram has made her choice, eh? Very well. The war will soon come to this city. While it is not unprepared for combat, it will find morale sorely lacking. We have allowed this festivity for the moon, in the hopes that it will give the people some small joy, but something else strikes at their hearts. We would discuss with you what must be done. If you desire to undertake a small task on our behalf, we will see to it that you are as well prepared for the struggles ahead as any of the ruling families of Arret.

achinca
2016-08-04, 12:52 PM
Pelric looks a little scared and grabs his holy symbol of Pelor as the Voice speaks and a million questions rush to his mind.

"What kind of sorcery is this? Why are you using Lady Syndram that way? What exactly are you? How do I know that you are not the same evil force creating the army of undead? Why did you choose us? If you are so powerful, why do you need to run an errand? What is that errand?"

The cleric speaks without retinue as he is trying to understand what is happening.

Lentrax
2016-08-04, 04:30 PM
Relax. We are not harming Syndram in any way. We merely recognized within her the talent for finding people of a certain caliber. She agreed to aid us in exchange for assistance with certain obligations she has accumulated over the span of her life.

What obligations those could be, you can only guess at, or how many of them there could be, considering the relative youth of Syndram. But the voice continues.

As to why we do not perform what is needed, it is because we are currently indisposed with matters of some urgency already. As to what is required of you, it is, I think, no more than you already would have done. We merely offer some aid, as well as a boon for accomplishing the task. But we do not desire to talk through a medium. It is not... as secure as we once believed. Will you meet with us to discus this further?

Narshe
2016-08-04, 08:48 PM
Athena mulls over the voice's words. "Well, to begin with, let me say that I am intrigued, and for my part, inclined to help - however, we'd be no good to you if we weren't intelligent enough to inquire more about who you are and what your ultimate motives might be. I understand that security is a concern for you, but you must also understand that these are dangerous times, and you are asking us to potentially risk our lives based on the word of a strange disembodied voice speaking through another stranger. What can you tell us about who you are and what you want? I don't need to know everything right away, but at least a little information shows that you trust us, and gives us reason to further trust you."

"As well, you hinted at some form of arrangement with Syndram - from this, I gather that you are amenable to fair recompense for services rendered. Could you tell us a bit more about the sort of boon you could offer to compensate us for undertaking this task in your behalf?"

Lentrax
2016-08-04, 09:33 PM
Truly? You have not yet deduced who we are? There are not many on Arret who can wield magic. It should not be difficult to discern who would be close enough to use it. But if you cannot make such a small step inference, perhaps Syndram was not correct in her selection.

However. The voice begins to sound condescending. If it eases your mind, I promise you safe passage from where you are to where we are. And I give my word that if you decline our offer, you will not be harmed.

achinca
2016-08-05, 08:09 AM
Pelric steps in.

"Listen, I am a simple cleric who knows nothing. However, if you need me to help advance the light against the darkness, count me in. The people in this realm could use all the help they can get and I have devote my life to Pelor and bring more light and less evil in this world. So if you think we can help, I am ready to meet."

Narshe
2016-08-05, 10:43 AM
Athena rubs her chin. "So you must be mages from that tower I saw on my way in. That actually answers many questions - you must understand, many of us aren't from around here, and unfamiliar with local politics."

She shifts on her cushion, trying to get comfortable. "So yes, that does ease my mind somewhat actually. I will meet and discuss further the task you'd like us to undertake, as well as the terms you are offering. You see, while I applaud the good cleric here for choosing to live a life of service, it isn't fair to expect that superhuman level of altruism for everyone. I have gained skills that are of use to you, and paid a price in pain and time to acquire them, and I am sure we can work out some compensation for what these skills are worth to you."

Lentrax
2016-08-05, 05:35 PM
Very well. Access to our tower will be provided tonight at midnight. Be in the place called Tower Courtyard, and the way will be made plain.

But remember that this city is in celebration. It may take you some time to reach the courtyard. Plan accordingly.

Narshe
2016-08-06, 08:33 PM
Athena rolls to her feet. "Very well, sounds like a plan. I suppose Syndram will be able to lead us to the courtyard once you return her to us? That still leaves the whole day ahead of us, and I don't think we should waste it. How about we go day-drink and paint this green town red?"

Nightraiderx
2016-08-07, 03:46 PM
"You can go ahead if you want to do that, I have further questions for Syndram..."
Alexander waited for the mages to finish their arrangements. Though he knew nothing of arcane magic except through old faerie tales told by his caretakers. But what interested him more was how Syndram came of her second blade... maybe just maybe he could learn something from her.

Lentrax
2016-08-07, 04:11 PM
Very well. We will see you tonight.

The glow leaves Syndram's eyes, then they roll back in her head as she crumples.

Outside, a parade passes by the building, loud and raucous in its celebration.

achinca
2016-08-08, 08:21 AM
Pelric looks at the people in the room, wondering what their inner motivations are. "Why is Alexander so angry and mighty? He got defeated by an army of undead and lost everything but anger is the wrong answer. Why is Athena so keen on being paid her fair share? What situation in her past made feel that she was not being compensated for her contribution? Why she is so keen on drinking? These questions are too much for a simple priest like me who knows so little."

He clears his throat "I will follow the lead Pelor sends me. The Tower Courtyard is the next step although I might have to make sure that Athena is sober enough to walk there."

Narshe
2016-08-08, 11:31 AM
Athena grins at Perlic, "Then maybe you should just come with me and make sure I stay out of trouble. And Alexander, why not bring your interesting friend along as well?" She waves to indicate Syndram. "She might be better inclined to help us if we made friends, showed her a good time, that sort of thing. The streets are really crowded, so it would be really difficult for people to spy on us as long as we don't attract attention with more magical theatrics. It will even help us thwart anyone who might be watching us already. Otherwise, don't you think it looks awfully suspicious for a bunch of outlanders to come right into her house? If we take her out partying with us, we will look like just another group of revelers hanging out with a pretty local."

achinca
2016-08-08, 11:52 AM
Pelric smiles at Athena "Somehow, I doubt you will need my help to stay out of trouble. But I will come along just for the show. Watching you moves my mind away from the horrors coming our way. I am not sure people care about who comes in and out of Lady Syndram's house. But I could be wrong. After all, I am a simple priest who knows nothing. Lead the way, Lady Athena"

Narshe
2016-08-08, 02:43 PM
Athena screws up her nose. "I'm not genteel enough for you to be calling me 'lady', and you're not old enough for me to be calling you 'father'. Just 'Athena' is fine, or 'ranger'."

She beckons Pelric & Grunnar aside in case Alexander and Syndram want some privacy. "Anyway, if secrecy was not important, why all this dancing around with secret magical messages in Syndram's house? Why not just send us a letter, or invite us publically? Between that and those hostile gentlemen at the inn who have us pegged for elf-lovers, maybe the politics of this place aren't... straightforward. Anyway, I could be reading too much into things."

Nightraiderx
2016-08-09, 06:26 AM
Alexander starts to stand up from his chair. "Well it was probably better than my idea you bring many salient points, Athena. Would you care to join along with us? I am curious how a desert maiden such as yourself ended up in this town." Alex offers a hand to Syndram in invitation.

achinca
2016-08-09, 08:33 AM
Pelric shakes his head with a big smile. "There is nothing wrong with being called a Lady. Do you know how many women would like to be called that? And I am no one father. I know for sure. Anyway, let's move towards the Tower Courtyard and if Lady Syndram is our guide, great, if not, I am sure that Lady, .. humph,... Ranger Athena will find a few interesting drinking holes."

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-09, 09:34 PM
Feeling slightly overwhelmed by events, Grunner has remained silent so far. Now he speaks up. "I know of a few places to drink, if that's what you're lookin' for."

Narshe
2016-08-09, 11:36 PM
"Ah, Pelric, how well I know. Maybe that's a campfire tale for some other day though. I'll make an exception just for you, if you like, as long as you don't call me that in front of strangers. A ranger has to maintain her professional image, otherwise... Well, it's hard enough being taken seriously as it is." She gets a distant look in her eyes.

When Grunner speaks up, she shakes herself out of her reverie and grins at him. "Sounds perfect. I was in the mind to visit a few places to drink - hopefully not too few."

achinca
2016-08-10, 08:59 AM
Pelric smiles at Athena "Well Ranger Athena, we have a deal. I will call you that only when we are with friends. I don't want to damage your reputation. And I am good for a few glass of lemonwater, as long as they are not too strong."

Lentrax
2016-08-12, 12:02 AM
Alexander starts to stand up from his chair. "Well it was probably better than my idea you bring many salient points, Athena. Would you care to join along with us? I am curious how a desert maiden such as yourself ended up in this town." Alex offers a hand to Syndram in invitation.

Syndram is still unconscious. Apparently, the act of being a living channel for arcane energies has drained the woman.

Nightraiderx
2016-08-12, 08:08 AM
"hm, seems she'll be out for a while... is it really safe to leave her like this though?"

achinca
2016-08-12, 08:17 AM
Pelric shakes his head "She brought us in her house. Leaving her passed out on the floor is not the right thing to do. We should make sure she is OK then we should leave. Actually, i could wait for her while you guys go drinking. There is a limit to the amount of milk or lemon water I can drink."

Nightraiderx
2016-08-12, 09:03 AM
"you're a priest, is there anything you can do for her condition?"

achinca
2016-08-12, 09:19 AM
Pelric looks at Alexander. "I can heal physical wounds. Mental or magic side effects are often beyond my abilities. But I will make sure that she is OK."

The priest kneels next to Lady Syndram and checks her vitals and make sure that everything is fine and that she is just exhausted from being a "voice"

[roll0]

Narshe
2016-08-12, 06:04 PM
Athena shrugs. "I'll search her house to see if there's anything that will help, then."

She starts ransacking the place for lootsearching for anything that seems useful in this situation, like potions or water or refreshing beverages.

Lentrax
2016-08-12, 07:02 PM
As Athena looks through the apartment, she finds only a few days worth of dried meat, several jugs of water, a couple of ewers full of the same. Strapped to the woman are two scimitars, both of exceptional make. You also find a few copper coins, but no silver or gold.

Alexander would find this in keeping with what he knows of the Se'ed.

Narshe
2016-08-12, 08:48 PM
Athena looks crestfallen at the slim pickings. Nevertheless, she brings one of the ewers over to Pelric and Syndram. She tries to help a bit, by sprinkling a little water on Syndram's face to see if it wakes her up from the fainting spell.

achinca
2016-08-13, 07:30 AM
Pelric takes Lady Symdram and puts her on her silk and pillows to make her as comfortable as she can be. "She is fine. She is just sleeping. We could wait here until she wakes up or we could leave a note. What do you think?"

Nightraiderx
2016-08-14, 11:12 AM
Alexander thinks it over for a few, "I have some... rather personal questions to ask of her and I'm not sure if she'd be willing to share with the entire group. I'm not even sure she'd answer my questions, but the gist is that of her tribe it is unusual for one such as her to wield two blades. I was going to ask her how she came of two blades. So I'd like to stay here and wait, you are free to leave or do what suits your fancy."

Lentrax
2016-08-15, 10:53 AM
Alexander

It takes an hour, but Syndram finally awakens.

"W-Why are you here? Why have you not gone to the magi?" (She says it with a hard 'g' sound)

Everyone else

Are you all cavorting or drinking somewhere? Or just let me know if you actually go anywhere.

achinca
2016-08-15, 10:56 AM
Pelric nods at Alexander "If we all stay, it would feel like an interrogation. Let's go"

He turns towards the other two "So where do they sell the nastiest lemon water in this town?"

Narshe
2016-08-15, 05:52 PM
Athena shrugs. "Grunnar said he knows a few places. Lead on, I'd say. Preferably someplace close to the tower courtyard so we don't miss our appointment. I'll be right outside when you are ready to go find some fun."

She curtsies to Syndram and heads outside, and summons Whisper to her gauntleted wrist. When Pelric & Grunnar come out, she'll go with them to whatever watering hole they suggest.

Nightraiderx
2016-08-15, 07:56 PM
Alexander turns as he was looking away as she woke up. "It was decided through negotiations with the magi that we would be meeting them later in the day. While the others have gone to enjoy themselves, there was a few questions I wanted to ask you. For I know that it is quite rare for someone of your tribe to wield two blades. I would like to know how you came upon the two blades and how you ended up here, of all places?"

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-16, 02:47 PM
Grunner leads the rest of the group to another tavern. "It's not as good as the Peacock," he notes, "But you're less likely to be thrown out. They're more... tolerant here, I guess you could say."

Lentrax
2016-08-17, 10:43 PM
Alexander

"Much of our ways go unheeded by the likes of you, city-dweller. You may have lived in Ar-Keran, but you do not know the ways of the sand. You wear the markings of the Sultan. But the Se'ed carry our own traditions, as we all must carry our own burdens. This is mine."

Everyone Else

The crowd here seems at first to be much the same as before. People are in a lively mood, and everyone is looking forward to the planned celebrations for the nights festivities. Within the first several minutes you are invited to several tables, for a friendly drink. Athena is approached several times for a turn at the dancing happening not too far away.

Several tables have dicing and card games of one kind or another, and there are a few openings. You know you have several hours until nightfall, and hours after that until your meeting.

What do you do?

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-17, 11:45 PM
Grunner stays put and just enjoys the chance to have a beer for a change. It's nice not having to watch the drinkers - nicer still to be able to drink himself.

Narshe
2016-08-18, 08:32 AM
Laughing with delight, Athena takes as many chances as she can to dance, have a good time, and try to get to know the local people. She tried to ask around about the Magi and the Tower - whether they are generally trusted - and to see if she can learn anything more about the abductions.

Nightraiderx
2016-08-18, 07:15 PM
Alexander tightened his fist. "You think that even matters anymore? The Sultan is most likely dead and everyone I knew has perished. You want to look down on me for living in the city, then fine. I was an idiot to think that I could fight such monstrosities with my current lack of power. Not only dead but probably turned into minions for the bastards that did this, and I will have my revenge on them." Alexander closes his eyes taking a large breath to calm his nerves. "I ask for your help in this manner, I have never seen someone wield such blades in each hand without major imbalances. Can you wield them as such, or am I just imagining it?"

achinca
2016-08-19, 08:56 AM
Pelric follows Athena and Grunner and continues his non alcohol diet, even if his masculinity is questioned. Over time his mood darkens as people get drunker and happier and the memories of the horrors he fought are coming back. He sits there, drinking with Grunner and watching Athena dance, wishing he could be having a good time too. But the undeads are at the door and the magi want to see him. Pelor surely had strange plans for him.

Lentrax
2016-08-19, 09:22 AM
Alexander tightened his fist. "You think that even matters anymore? The Sultan is most likely dead and everyone I knew has perished. You want to look down on me for living in the city, then fine. I was an idiot to think that I could fight such monstrosities with my current lack of power. Not only dead but probably turned into minions for the bastards that did this, and I will have my revenge on them." Alexander closes his eyes taking a large breath to calm his nerves. "I ask for your help in this manner, I have never seen someone wield such blades in each hand without major imbalances. Can you wield them as such, or am I just imagining it?"

Syndram narrows her eyes at Alexander as a scowl darkens her face. "You would ask me to share my shame? You know less of us than I thought."

Pelric follows Athena and Grunner and continues his non alcohol diet, even if his masculinity is questioned. Over time his mood darkens as people get drunker and happier and the memories of the horrors he fought are coming back. He sits there, drinking with Grunner and watching Athena dance, wishing he could be having a good time too. But the undeads are at the door and the magi want to see him. Pelor surely had strange plans for him.

As Pelric sits, his thoughts lost in dark places to the south, three glasses are set onto the table, and a bottle is set next to them as a woman sits down across from him and Grunner. "Tell me, priest? Why so dark a mood? Should these people be denied any small joy they should be able to find, even as we prepare for the dark times ahead?"

achinca
2016-08-19, 09:35 AM
Pelric looks at the woman in silence before taking a sip of his lemon water. "What do you know of the dark times ahead Mylady? If you truly believe that there are dark times ahead, how can you justify such debauchery? Celebration should be done when the darkness has been pushed back, not when the darkness is coming. This is when people should try to prepare and get ready, although I am not sure how ready one can get. Be being drunk and dancing is wasting a precious time no one can really afford to waste."

He stops, takes another sip and shakes his head. "I am sorry. Where are my manners? I am Pelric, follower of Pelor, at your service, Mylady."

Lentrax
2016-08-19, 09:43 AM
"Think of it this way. These people would likely be just as drunk, one way or another. Would you rather it be with darkness in their hearts? Darkness enough to perhaps encourage a greater evil or worse, despair of any hope and cause greater tragedy? I would perhaps not be so quick to judge people for having a cause to celebrate, rather than despair of ever seeing light again."

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-19, 01:29 PM
"Think of it this way. These people would likely be just as drunk, one way or another. Would you rather it be with darkness in their hearts? Darkness enough to perhaps encourage a greater evil or worse, despair of any hope and cause greater tragedy? I would perhaps not be so quick to judge people for having a cause to celebrate, rather than despair of ever seeing light again."
Grunner grunts. "No offense, lady, but if he wants to be grumpy, I don't see why you should get to tell him otherwise."

achinca
2016-08-19, 01:47 PM
Pelric shakes his head "You don't get it Mylady. Only preparation can give a chance for light to overcome darkness. If you are unprepared, you ....."

He stops as Grunner interjects then adds "My friend is right. My moods are mine and I am sorry if they offend you. I am not looking for company or someone to lift me up. Good day Mylady." He raises his glass of lemon water to Grunner.

Lentrax
2016-08-19, 01:51 PM
"Ah, but he is a holy man, is he not? If the church loses its hope..." The woman lets her voice trail off meaningfully.

But she carries on after a moment. "Besides. It is my duty to do the exact opposite. I stand for salvation and the light."

She takes her bottle, pours out three glasses of a deep red wine and pushes two of them before the two men.

"I am Hope. I serve the people in service of the holy Sera. I invite you share her blessings with me."

achinca
2016-08-19, 03:09 PM
Pelric shakes his head "I am a simple priest who knows nothing. But even I know that the gods will help you if you help yourself. Dancing and drinking as the darkness is coming is not the best way to prepare and show the gods that you are worthy of their helps. Although Pelor works in mysterious ways."

He pushes the wine back toward the woman "No offense Lady Hope but share your wine with others. It will be wasted with me. And I hope your Moon Goddess will help you when needed. Without the gods, we have no chances."

He takes out his holy medallion and kisses it before taking another sip of his lemon water.

Lentrax
2016-08-19, 03:29 PM
"And tell me," the woman says, "What would you have the commoners do? The soldiers have seen to the securing of the walls, and the Magi have fortified the defenses with magic. The food stores inside the city are great enough to feed the city for a year of siege. The army to the south is still a month away from reaching Shaerlorne, assuming they prevail against the massed northern armies. Have you ever seen the Serazi fight? Their legions are the best in the land, and they sent ten full legions south to combat the evil. So why must these people avoid a holy celebration? Seems as though you have lost your hope, holy man. I just hope you do not lose your faith."

Hope drops her grin, and pushes the wine back to Pelric. "This is not just a simple glass of wine, priest. This is a sacrament. A blessing from my goddess to any who would take it. And tonight would be a bad time to refuse the offerings of Sera if the ancient prophecies are to be believed."

Knowledge (Religion) DC 15 to know what she is referring to.

Nightraiderx
2016-08-19, 03:50 PM
Alexander sighs, "Forget I asked then, if it is something you wish not to divulge I won't force you." Alexander turns to leave, not really sure what to do as uneasiness in his heart increases due to Syndram's words. He didn't really feel well so he aimed to stay away from the celebrations till the time they were needed to go speak with the magi.

Narshe
2016-08-20, 10:00 AM
Athena pads back to the table after a round of dancing, panting under her breath and just slightly tipsy. "Well, well, looks like you gentlemen are having yourselves a party. I'm going to guess that she's Grunnar's friend though, although our Pelric might just surprise us!"

She laughs, and waves her hand. "Sorry, I know who you are, but I couldn't help myself." She sets her hands down on the table and leans down. "Not that I don't appreciate your trying to show my priestly friend here a good time, but don't you think he has a point? It isn't just rumors of armies far away that these people have to worry about it, is it - we heard rumors today of murders and women being stolen away in the night, and all sorts of wild accusations about Elves... To be honest, Elves usually are not drawn to human women."

"Well", she adds smugly. "Most human women. But you know what I mean. Festive mood notwithstanding, alcohol and racial tension do not mix - we might have riots on our hands if your city watch doesn't step up and take charge. Although I don't envy their job, trying to prepare for an invasion and solve local crimes at the same time."

"And anyway, if your sacrament is so important to you, I offer to take it on his behalf, if the both of you wish. I'm very pious like that, you understand."

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-20, 04:50 PM
Grunner snorts. "Don't be ridiculous. I might not be one for gods, but alcohol... No, I agree that the world can do with some hope." He sniffs at his glass and takes a swig of it. "But that's just my opinion. Others 've got their own."

Lentrax
2016-08-20, 05:35 PM
"All the more reason to have a celebration, then. Keep everyone together. Maybe get a better idea what's behind it all, should something happen."

She smiles as Grunner drinks the wine. "Sera shall indeed smile upon you tonight, good sir."

When drinking a sacrament, as blessed by a servant of Sera, the Huntress, you will find yourself protected by the darkness itself. From moonup to dawn (8 hrs) you gain +1 to attack and damage rolls, a +1 unnamed bonus to AC, and +1 to all saves.

Narshe
2016-08-21, 07:12 PM
Athena pulls up a chair and drops into it, and waves for more cold ale. She leans her head back against the chair's backrest and slowly breaths in and out, letting the exhaustion drain out of her. "So what's your story, Hope? Is there a strong clergy here, and do they have much experience fighting the walking dead?"

achinca
2016-08-23, 11:41 AM
DC 15
[roll0]

Pelric shakes his head. "I am sorry Lady Hope, but I am not familiar enough with your deity to understand the importance of this sacrament. I am open to wet my lips not to offend you but I cannot accept a sacrament I don't understand. My knowledge of religion is too limited. Sorry."

He takes the cup, wets his lips and passes the cup to Athena.

Narshe
2016-08-24, 08:35 PM
With a polite dip of her head to Pelric and Hope, Athena drains the wine and sets the glass down. She sighs.

"You know... Growing up, in my village, I never imagined that I would have a chance to live a life more fulfilling than what the people of towns like this have, where the most exciting thing that ever happens is a festival. I was one of the strongest children in my village, but my father didn't suspect I'd ever use it to become anything other than a sturdy wife with a strong back for chores." She laughs. "In fact, when the ranger-lord of our nearby forests came to our village and asked to see me, he thought he was arranging a match - but thankfully, it was a recruit that he was seeking. He taught me much, and we traveled far, and fought on the front lines in the south against the outlanders and their living-dead monsters - and honestly, I've never looked back since... But once in a while, it is nice to settle down and enjoy civilization in small doses, and imagine what might have been."

Lentrax
2016-08-25, 02:43 AM
"There is not much to tell of me. I grew up in service to Sera. She took upon herself to train me, and I have lived my entire life in devotion to her. Shaerlorne is, as you all know, the center of trade for most of Corata. Being the largest city on the frontier of the Threshold, there is a large number of churches and temples in the city. But I am not here as part of a clergy. I am here because of the rise of the moon."

Hope leans forward meaningfully. "In the darkest days, when magic wanes, and nations fall, the moon shall rise. Blood shall stain its rising, and terror will grip the hearts of men. Days will end, and only when the eyes are opened will we find the light."

achinca
2016-08-25, 09:17 AM
Pelric looks at Hope "You have spoken grave words. I believe your prophecy is happening. How do we open their eyes. I am dedicated t\my life to advance Pelor's light."

GreyStormcrow
2016-08-25, 11:06 AM
Grunner scratches his, mildly confused. "The moon rises every night, does it not? I mean - I can see it most of the time, when doing the drunk shift. 'Cept when there's clouds. So... what's different this time?" A thought occurs to him. "Can you see it throughclouds? 'Cause that would be portentous, alright."

Lentrax
2016-08-25, 12:38 PM
"Not the green moon. Not Sera. Sera only rises once a century. But something is going to happen tonight. I can tell. The prophecy begins tonight."

achinca
2016-08-26, 10:00 AM
Pelric looks at Hope with a perplex look "So Lady Hope, you know that bad think will happen starting tonight and instead of preparing people for it, you offer sacrament wine to a bunch of strangers? Shouldn't you be preparing to counter the evil that will start tonight? Unless you think giving sacrament to a priest like me who knows nothing counts as preparation."

Lentrax
2016-08-26, 12:02 PM
Hope's face twists with the beginnings of anger. "Answer me, priest. Would you willfully disobey a command from Pelor himself?"

achinca
2016-08-26, 12:59 PM
Pelric starts laughing "Your Goddess speaks to you? You are lucky. In all my years of serving Pelor, I have never heard Him or felt like He was talking to me. To tell you the truth, I have no idea why I survived the attack on the church by the undead horde. I just figured that I was either lucky or that Pelor has a plan for me."

He stops and just think about the words he just said "Wait. May be that's it. May be He saved me to meet you. I wish He was cleared in His communications. I am all yours, Lady Hope, by Pelor's wish. Now do you have more of this sacrament wine?"

Narshe
2016-08-27, 02:41 PM
Athena pulls one of the arrows from her quiver and lays it on the table in front of her, and stretches. "Well, if there's going to be blood, I'm ready to spill my share."

"Religion's not really my area of expertise, but I find comparing the doctrines of different faiths intriguing. You lot try to live your lives by the will of your gods, and follow their commandments, and expect them to give instruction to you. Obad-Hai is... different. He just wants us to understand and to live by the laws of the natural world. The strong, the wise, and the sneaky survive, and all living things use their abilities to get what they need to survive."

"Actually, thinking about it that way, maybe I *am* following a command of my god, except that it isn't like, a specific instruction that I have been given just yesterday - more of an on-going command that I follow every day, around which I order my entire life."

She sets her cheek down on the table, and exhales. "Ignore me. I am drunk and rambling. I just need a couple moments, and then I'm as good in a fight as you need me to be. And I'll drink another round to your Sera if there's more wine, although I probably shouldn't."