PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Identifying Planar Traits?

erok0809
2016-07-22, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure if I'm just really bad at searching, or if there isn't actually a rule for this. Is there a way for people to identify planar traits that aren't immediately obvious, or don't affect them but are still present? An example would be something like the plane being an impeded magic plane, where it isn't obvious until they try to cast the spell, or a Good character on a plane that's mildly good-aligned. The reason I ask is that the entire Material Plane is going to be affected by traits like this in my campaign soon, as the signs of Atropus start showing up. The Faint sign makes necromancy spells stronger, which won't be obvious until someone tries to cast a Necromancy spell only to notice it's caster level is 2 higher than usual. Is there a way for the characters to identify what's going on without trial and error? If there isn't a RAW answer, what would you suggest as a possible method? I was thinking some sort of Spellcraft check, but I have no idea what to make the DC. Any help would be appreciated.

Emperor Tippy
2016-07-22, 05:11 PM
Knowledge: The Planes would be my choice.

Spellcraft at DC 30+ also works by the RAW.