PDA

View Full Version : Need help for a dancer build

Chidori
2016-07-22, 05:11 PM
Hi all i need your help and knowledge of 3.5

First thing first

The setting is eberron. Every official book are allowed (including dragon magazin)
We start at lvl 10. As for stat. I have 18,15,15,15,13,8 and the campaign is more focus on riddle adventuring than senseless battle after battle.

I since 2 day now im search and search i came up with a top 3 classes

For base classes
Bard, rogue or battle dancer

Im planning to go human for extra skill and feat

Is there a better starting class and any good prestige i could look up. I dont want anything munchkin just simple and useful character.

The style i wanna play is a joyful young woman. But can kill quickly and/or get the info needed from people.

mabriss lethe
2016-07-22, 05:55 PM
You've got good stats for pretty much anything you want to do.

Battle dancer: I'm not too familiar with it, but at face value it looks like a Charisma focused Full BAB Monk with better ability synergy. They don't get too much in the way of social abilities, so maybe not the best choice if the game is high on intrigue.

DFI bard is probably what I'd do. Tweak your race from standard human to Silverbrow human ( found in Dragon Magic) You lose the bonus skill point, Still keep the bonus feat, gain the dragonblooded subtype and access to the Dragonfire Inspiration feat (converts your inspire courage bonus into Xd6 energy damage added to your party's attacks, defaulting to fire.)

Gildedragon
2016-07-22, 06:02 PM
Bard into snowflake wardance ewp battle fan

Eldariel
2016-07-22, 06:18 PM
Bard with Snowflake Wardance is indeed fine. You could even go Bard 3/Crusader X with Snowflake Wardance and Song of the White Raven to tie it together. Alternatively, Swordsage [Tome of Battle] can do a pretty good approximation out of the box. But Bard is probably the strongest of the bunch (as per usual; casting > things). Bard 9/Virtuoso 1/Sublime Chord 2/Virtuoso +8 would be a really good all-rounder. You get everything off your Charisma and you can eventually acquire Slippers of Battledancing [DMGII] - then you get all your combat stats off magic.

Another class that fits your description but is somewhat lower-powered and significantly more martial is the Dervish from Complete Warrior. Fewer skills, mostly combat dance but still a decent set of abilities (if a bit prohibitive to enter feat-wise); goes nicely with Swordsage or Warblade.

Out-of-combat, you'll have good Charisma and lots of skillpoints so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to have a good time. Even more-so if you have spells such as those from a Bard at your beck and call. Some Crusader, Warblade or Swordsage abilities likewise give you some more tools to use out of combat (Hunter's Sense grants scent for e.g. tracking, Hearing the Air grants Blindsight and Listen-bonuses, Mountain Hammer bypasses hardness of objects, etc.).

Anthrowhale
2016-07-22, 08:31 PM
Spelldancer might fit the theme well if you want to emphasize the magic side. It's Faerun though.

Amphetryon
2016-07-22, 08:35 PM
Binder, gaining access to Paimon, works well for a dancer build.

SirNMN
2016-07-22, 09:09 PM
You've got good stats for pretty much anything you want to do.

DFI bard is probably what I'd do. Tweak your race from standard human to Silverbrow human ( found in Dragon Magic) You lose the bonus skill point, Still keep the bonus feat, gain the dragonblooded subtype and access to the Dragonfire Inspiration feat (converts your inspire courage bonus into Xd6 energy damage added to your party's attacks, defaulting to fire.)

I think the energy would be cold since the silver dragon who the silverbrow humans are descended from. they also get feather fall once per day as a spell like ability and a +2 Disguise

Eldariel
2016-07-22, 09:31 PM
Spelldancer might fit the theme well if you want to emphasize the magic side. It's Faerun though.

That's actually a great point. Snowflake Wardancing Sublime Virtuoso with a Spelldancer [Magic of Faerun] level? Dance for combat, dance for metamagic, dance for performing, hell, dance for spellcasting (it's possible to substitute Perform for Concentration with the Melodic Casting-feat [Complete Mage]). Then Obtain Familiar for a wonderful dancing skillmonkey Pseudodragon (or fairy or whatever suits your fancy).

mabriss lethe
2016-07-22, 10:58 PM
I think the energy would be cold since the silver dragon who the silverbrow humans are descended from. they also get feather fall once per day as a spell like ability and a +2 Disguise

Oddly enough, it's still fire. The alternate energy caveat only comes into play if the character meets one of two very specific criteria: Either 1: the Draconic Heritage feat or 2: the half dragon template. A silverbrow human still gets fire for his DFI damage type unless he snags the appropriate feat. (in this case, it would still require taking the dragontouched feat first or dipping sorcerer to qualify for Draconic Heritage)

Inevitability
2016-07-23, 08:36 AM
The Apprentice (Entertainer) feat adds Perform (Dance) to any class skill list, which opens up your options a bit. Fluff-wise it isn't hard to justify either.

And since you were playing Eberron, how about you do the unexpected and roll up... a druid? The Greensinger Initiate feat gives you Bluff, Hide and Perform as druid class skills and adds one fey-themed spell of each level to your list.

Hiro Quester
2016-07-23, 01:59 PM
That's actually a great point. Snowflake Wardancing Sublime Virtuoso with a Spelldancer [Magic of Faerun] level? Dance for combat, dance for metamagic, dance for performing, hell, dance for spellcasting (it's possible to substitute Perform for Concentration with the Melodic Casting-feat [Complete Mage]). Then Obtain Familiar for a wonderful dancing skillmonkey Pseudodragon (or fairy or whatever suits your fancy).

You could also learn the Disguise Spell feat to be able to cast spells as part of a dance performance, without anyone spotting that you are casting a spell.

Hiro Quester
2016-07-23, 10:30 PM
Another option for a dancer build is a few levels of Binder (with Paimon the dancer as the vestige).

Edit: Binder is in Tome of Magic

Binding Paimon requires that you dance (moving at 1/2 speed) whenever you hear music.

His granted dance of death ability is pretty awesome (move up to your speed, making a single attack against everyone you pass; use it once every 5 rounds). You provoke AOO normally, so have to tumble while you dance and slice.

But with a high dex dancer build this could be a worthy dip.

dantiesilva
2016-07-23, 11:37 PM
While not optimized their is the cloaked Dancer from Complete Scoundrel. It has a few unique abilities, nothing to say oh thats great though. It's a 5 level PrC though and would work well with a bard as it does advance casting somewhat.

Eldariel
2016-07-24, 04:56 AM
Another option for a dancer build is a few levels of Binder (with Paimon the dancer as the vestige).

Edit: Binder is in Tome of Magic

Binding Paimon requires that you dance (moving at 1/2 speed) whenever you hear music.

His granted dance of death ability is pretty awesome (move up to your speed, making a single attack against everyone you pass; use it once every 5 rounds). You provoke AOO normally, so have to tumble while you dance and slice.

But with a high dex dancer build this could be a worthy dip.

That's actually pretty much identical to Swordsage's Desert Tempest maneuver from Desert Wind (level 6 maneuver, Tome of Battle). Both are accessible via. feats/spells, I believe. At least Desert Tempest could be acquired with a Heroics-stack. Of course, Heroics isn't a Bard-spell by default so that takes jumping through some hoops. Desert Wind is a Jade Phoenix Mage-school though so there's one option (but having Song of the White Raven work with Jade Phoenix Mage would be a houserule).

Of course, the actual Dervish-class's Dervish Dance allows attacking the same opponent multiple times (but limits you to your total attacks per turn), but getting a reasonable number of Dervish Dances requires deep investment in the Dervish-class, which does not play nicely with the other stuff here.

Chidori
2016-07-25, 02:21 PM
First of all thank you all for the reply.

So since ive posted. I did more digging and talk to my group.

So i have info on what my party gonna be

Grey elf/half air elemental archivist (knowledge hoarder)
Dwarf cleric (focus like a battle priest)
Human monk (streetfighter style)

One of my party member suggest factotum. Im not sure and have never play that. So i dont know what to really expect.

One suggested
Rogue 2/battle dancer 8.

On here i like the idea of casting spell and doing magic. Spell dancer i think it was.

Dancing with flame and stuff.

I concept i liked is pole dancer (like with a longspear or guisarme for reach for combat and use to aid my jump.

For the spelldancer what build should i look for?

Gildedragon
2016-07-25, 03:02 PM
The factotum is good (see the guide in my sig)
But it has little synergy with the dancer aspect outside of fluff
But it might be handy for trap and lock handling

Chidori
2016-07-25, 03:11 PM
The factotum is good (see the guide in my sig)
But it has little synergy with the dancer aspect outside of fluff
But it might be handy for trap and lock handling

Ill look into it.

Also is there a handbook for spelldancer.
Also for spelldancer is it any form of magic
Aka arcane or divine?
Like can i be a cleric spelldancer?

Eldariel
2016-07-25, 03:49 PM
Factotum would add a skill monkey to the team which is probably why they were asking but frankly, you can do just as well with a Cleric. And yeah, Spelldancer is not restricted to any category; a divine Spelldancer is fine. They also get 4+Int skill points per level so if your party needs a skill monkey and you are willing to put some effort into it and can afford high Int, you can actually pull that off in a rather stellar fashion (Clerics get some really good spells for skill monkeying, like Guidance of the Avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) and Divine Insight [Spell Compendium]).

Human Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) with appropriate domains to pick up the skills you need (I'll refer you to Domain Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3927) and new class skill handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=9071.0) for more details), gets 1 extra skill point per level and can pick up Able Learner [Races of Destiny] to keep all the class skills while multiclassing (if needed, Kobold (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a)-domain's granted power grants trapfinding and if you don't play a deity/character that can pick said domain, you can use Planar Touchstone-feat tied to Catalogues of Enlightenment [both in Planar Handbook] to gain its granted power with a feat). Then just a decent Int in character generation and you should be able to perform a good amount of a skill monkey's lot.

Note that Spelldancer's abilities key off Perform (Dance) or Charisma; a Cleric has no trouble boosting their Perform (Dance) but the Charisma can be a bit tricky so don't expect too high save DCs on many of your dances. However, her important ability is Spelldance (applies metamagic to spells with dance) which is keyed off Perform (Dance), so in that sense you aren't losing much even with lower Charisma. The other abilities are cool but not the kind of stuff you'd use regularly anyways.

Inevitability
2016-07-26, 07:41 AM
Note that Spelldancer's abilities key off Perform (Dance) or Charisma; a Cleric has no trouble boosting their Perform (Dance) but the Charisma can be a bit tricky so don't expect too high save DCs on many of your dances. However, her important ability is Spelldance (applies metamagic to spells with dance) which is keyed off Perform (Dance), so in that sense you aren't losing much even with lower Charisma. The other abilities are cool but not the kind of stuff you'd use regularly anyways.

Charism is usually my second-highest stat on cloistered cleric builds, tied with constitution. I don't think it'd be hard to raise.

If the DM is cheese tolerant, Lesser Aasimar may be used for +2 to both charisma and wisdom.

Pugwampy
2016-07-26, 09:56 AM
I once came across a class called Gemini Dancer . It seemed really cool.

I think its DND homebrew ?

Inevitability
2016-07-26, 10:01 AM
I once came across a class called Gemini Dancer . It seemed really cool.

I think its DND homebrew ?

Is this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Gemini_Dancer_(3.5e_Class)) it?

ShurikVch
2016-07-26, 10:34 AM
Some more PrCs:
Astral Dancer (Planar Handbook) marked as +1 in Tier System for PrCs
Sword Dancer (Faiths and Pantheons) give full caster progression
same thing about the Dancer of Sharess (Dragon #290)

Eldariel
2016-07-26, 12:28 PM
Charism is usually my second-highest stat on cloistered cleric builds, tied with constitution. I don't think it'd be hard to raise.

If the DM is cheese tolerant, Lesser Aasimar may be used for +2 to both charisma and wisdom.

Well, if going full-on skill monkey you'll want pretty high Intelligence for the skill points as well as the various skills: leaves you looking at Con/Cha/Int all as secondary stats. That said, with her stats it's quite doable. Could easily go Middle-Aged, 7 Str, 12 Dex, 14 Con, 16 Int, 19 Wis, 16 Cha. Though even then, come level 10 this is far enough from a full-on Charisma-caster's Charisma anyways (16-18 compared to 24 or something).

Chidori
2016-07-26, 02:32 PM
So i came up with that.

Naerya (age 19)
Female Human Chaotic Neutral
Variant Bard 1/ battle Dancer 1/Hexblade 8
EXP: 45000/55000
Trait:Passionate (+1 fort, -1 will)
Flaw: Vulnerable (-1 to AC)

HP: 6+1d8+8d10+30
AC 24 = 10+3(dex)+6(cha)+1(bonus)-1(flaw)+3(magic)+1(deflection)

stats

str 8 -1
Dex 17 +3
con 16 +3
int 16 +3
wis 13 +1
cha 22 +6

BAB +9/+4

Fort 2+7 = 12
Ref 6+4 = 13
Will 8+3 = 12

Guisarme+1
8/3 dmg:2d4-1

Unarmed strike
8/3 dmg:1d6-1

Special
-

Class abilities

Bardic music
Animal companion war husky (+4 to handle animal)
Nature sense
Wild empathy +2
countersong
Fascinate
AC bonus: cha to ac +1
Hexblade Curse 2/day ((will neg DC:18) -2 to atk,save,ability check,skill, dmg for 1hr)
Arcane Resistance (cha to all save vs spell and spell-like)
mettle (if save successful for fort or will neg all dmg)
Dark companion (spd 30ft; -2 save and AC if adjacent, imm. to dmg)
Greater Hexblade curse -4 instead of -2

Feat
Able learner (all skill are cost 1:1)
Natural Bond (+3 lvl for companion)
Great Fortitude (+2 fort save)
Improved Unarmed strike
Versatile Performer (x(int) perform have the same value of highest perform skill)
Theurgic bond (companion lvl stack with other caster(hexblade) and bard variant)
combat casting (+4 concentration while casting defensive)
Ascetic Mage (battle dancer and hexblade lvl stack to determine AC bonus)

Skills 13

Appraise
Balance 5+2=10
Bluff 5=11
Climb +2=1
Concentration 6=9
Craft
Decipher script
Diplomacy 5+2=13
Disguise
Escape artist 5+2=10
Gather Information
Handle Animal 5=11
Hide
Jump +2=1
Knowledge (Nature) 5 +2+2=12
Knowledge (arcana) 5=8
Listen 5=6
Move silently
Perform (Dance) 13=19
Perform (sing) *13=19
perform (Act) *13=19
Perform (wind instrument) *13=19
Profession
ride +2=5
Sense motive 5=6
Sleight of hand 5+2=10
Spellcraft 5+2=10
spot 5=6
Survival 5 +2+2=10 *+2=12
swim
Tumble 11=14
Use magic device +2=8
use rope 5+2=10

Item

Vest of resistance +4
Cloak of Charisma +4
Bracer of armor +3
Glove of dexterity +2
Ring of protection +1

traveling bag
-ration for husky 4/day
-Ration 5/day
-waterskin
-blanket
-3 pair of underwear
-3 bra
-traveler outfit

Bard spell
lvl0

2/day
4 known
- Know Direction
- summon instrument
- Prestigitation
- Songbird

Hexblade spell

lvl 1

2/day
4 known
- Charm person
- Expeditious retreat
- Protection from evil
- Armor lock

lvl 2
1/day
2 known
- Invisibility
- Whirling Blade

Language
Common
Sylvan
Quori

GP: 0

--------

Zuko
Riding War husky

HP 10d8+44

spd 40ft
Init: +2

AC 28= 10+4(dex)+14(natural) touch 12, flat-footed 18

Stats

str 19
dex 19
con 18
int 2
wis 12
cha 6

BAB +7/+2

Bite +11/+1 dmg:1d8+6

Fort 7=11
Ref 7=11
will 3=4 (+4 vs enchantment)

Special

Low-light vision
scent
link
share spell
evasion
Devotion
Multiattack

Feat

Alertness
Track
Imp.Natural armor X2
Imp.toughness
Imp.Natural attack

trick

Attack
Defend
track
Guard
fetch
heel
track
stay
down

Skill

Jump +10
Listen +5
spot +6
swim +7
survival +6

Next feat im planning to get the disguise spell i think that what it called the one that let you hide you casting a spell with a perform

Anthrowhale
2016-07-26, 10:05 PM
It seems hard to comment without knowing the optimization level of other characters, but I would be worry that AC and BAB are too low to defend and hit consistently for a character that will often be in melee combat.

A {Cleric list, Druid list}/Spelldancer can use "Sheltered Vitality" to alleviate the downsides of spelldancing and then Persist Spell on every spell slot at the beginning of the day to make both you and the rest of the party more sturdy and capable melee combatants. The Monk in particular may need help. Amongst the choices, "Favored Soul" seems surprisingly reasonable for a buff-centric cleric list caster.

Something like:
Human Favored Soul 8(good saves, cleric list)/Mystic Wanderer 1(Chr to AC, Perform)/Spelldancer 1(Spelldancing)
Feats:
Flaw: Combat Casting
Flaw: Endurance
Human: Extend Spell
1: Persist Spell
3: Ocular Spell (Makes most spell eligible for persist)
6: Chain spell (Ocular spells become party buffs)
Otyugh Hole: Iron Will
Fire Elemental Bloodline: Dodge
9: Mobility

could be pretty solid. This may be too high an optimization level.

Metahuman1
2016-07-26, 10:10 PM
Binder gives you a bit of magic and a lot of versatility and is Cha based at lest in theory.

There was a build on the forum awhile ago that I can't seem to find now called "The Dancer's Daughter." that you might like. Just an idea.

Thurbane
2016-07-26, 10:59 PM
Battle Dancer X/Bard X/Arcane Duelist 2 gives you Cha bonus to AC twice.

The Cloak Dance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm) feat isn't too bad, specially if you have a "spare" move action in the round (i.e. martial maneuvers, spell-casting etc.).