PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Build Help-Barbassassin Champion-Crit master

PartyChef
2016-07-22, 06:49 PM
Here is the build: 14 Wolf Totem Barbarian for no save bonus action trip, Initiative advantage, and extra critical dice; 3 Assassin because surprise round critical (not to mention I love expertise and cunning action and almost all my builds take 2 levels of rogue); and 3 Champion for Dueling, Action Surge, and 19-20 critical.

Stat wise you would think crazy MAD, but I am thinking Dex barb. That way I only have to worry about Dex as primary and Con as secondary for AC and hp. I know I sacrifice Reckless and Rage Damage but I think it might be worth it to reduce MAD and get higher AC.

Here is the really crazy part. Half-Orc. Luckily my DM lets us swap the +2 and +1 traits so I would only waste 1 point on strength. Stats would be as follows. Str 10, Con 17, Dex 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10. Then using my 3 stat increases from Barb I just up my Dex to 20 and use the extra point to bring Con to 18.

The rub arises when I consider when to take levels of what. I only get stats from Barb so do I take that first and wait to get the really nice Rogue/Fighter stuff. I just don't know. Help me out.

Alternatively, give me advice on making this build better. I would love to get one extra stat increase in there. I thought about Human as race, but I just don't need a feat, especially at the cost of a crit die and darkvision. Maybe a Stout Halfling would give me the stats I need (and a hilarious character) but again is that worth the crit die and darkvision?

I thought about going Strength and picking up Shield Master, that way I could drop the 14th level of Barb for a 4th level of Rogue of Fighter, however, then I was dropping an ability to get stats only to use the stats to buy a feat that does the same thing. Understandably, I would also get evasion but then my AC would be lower (presumably, I haven't done the math with Armor comparison but I assume so).

Finally, is this build worth it at all? We are starting at level 1 and while this seem a very cool build conceptually, I don't think it gets powerful until way late in the game.

Help me out. Is there a good fix/leveling path, or should I just can this idea?

Easy_Lee
2016-07-22, 07:10 PM
Are you starting out at level 20? If not, I wouldn't even consider something like this.

MeeposFire
2016-07-22, 08:19 PM
Also realize that by RAW you cannot multiclass in or out of barbarian without a 13 str.

Also not a fan of dex primary barbs. Losing out on your best offensive features just really isn't worth it.

bid
2016-07-22, 09:57 PM
You can 16 14 14 10 12 10 and look pretty sharp in medium armor. You don't need more Dex to be street-legal.

Just go barbarogue, crit fishing is mostly fluff.

MeeposFire
2016-07-22, 10:53 PM
Yes sneak attack requires a finesse weapon but do not require using the dex.

Klorox
2016-07-23, 01:24 AM
I like bids idea of going with medium armor.

I'd start barbarian 5, then add the few fighter and rogue levels.

Don't count on that 14th level ability though: your campaign (if it ever makes it to level 20) probably won't play for long if you hit that cap.

PartyChef
2016-07-23, 01:03 PM
I like bids idea of going with medium armor.

I'd start barbarian 5, then add the few fighter and rogue levels.

Don't count on that 14th level ability though: your campaign (if it ever makes it to level 20) probably won't play for long if you hit that cap.

That probably is the best idea. I don't need the 14 level ability with a strength build anyways. I can get shield master and expertise athletics. Thanks guys.