PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [DSP] Cryptic (Grammaton) build questions

phlidwsn
2016-07-22, 07:40 PM
I'm working up a build for a Grammaton Cryptic, largely inspired by Contessa, and was looking for feedback on a few points:

Is it worth it to dip Vigilante Stalker 1 for Snipers Tools, 1d6 sneak attack, Phantom Sun Stance(Traiting back into Solar), and a handful of utility maneuvers? I'd also be taking the trait to avoid losing ML to the dip.

Is the Grammaton supposed to have the same feature as Brutal Disruptor, bypassing the 1/rnd limit of Disrupt Pattern? Or am I stuck as-is?

Kiton2
2016-07-24, 09:55 PM
Well let's see. First I'm pretty sure we only get one disruptor shot, but at least it's a rider on a firearm attack, which can give it actual range to speak of, and will be nice and accurate.

You're slowing your BAB growth a little. That's bad
The saves give +2 to Will, which is good, though 0/0 to the others, which is bad
You get a Ki pool and Deadly Strikes, which aren't much good on their own, but better than nothing and *can* be built up to impressive aides
Infinite ammunition is nothing to sneeze at. That's worth thousands eventually, any way you look at it
A few maneuvers can get you shooting through windwall tornadoes, grant you intercepting shade, or maybe let you grab a melee attack for later on by using your swift action
And sniper's tools effectively gives you both tax feats every ranged character has to get anyways.

So you lose a bit of accuracy but are using firearms to compensate, it's not really a huge boon to your saves but not bad either, you get two feats and a bunch of utility and support to what you already would do. Overall not a bad trade.

phlidwsn
2016-07-25, 08:09 AM
Also, using Vigilante Stalker instead of vanilla Stalker nets me an int based Inspiration pool in place of Ki. Spend points for 1d6 added to any roll(some rolls cost 2 points) and all knowledge, perception, sense motive rolls get the 1d6 every time for free. I also trade Deadly Strikes for Sneak attack, but that's pretty much a wash.

It looks good on the surface to me, but even for a partial caster, there's that voice in my head screaming "Never delay spells. Never. Even if your CL keeps up"

Edit: The other question is do I go Pistol for free action alchemical reloads when I can spend the cash, or give up on iteratives and go musket with a move/swift reload from Phantom Sun for larger damage dice since I only get the one disrupt pattern/rnd?

phlidwsn
2016-08-17, 04:52 PM
Here's roughly what I ended up with for a level 8 build:
Human Grammaton Cryptic 1/Vigilante Stalker 1/Cryptic 6:
20pt buy: STR 11 / DEX 14 / CON 13 / INT16(20 with levelup and racial) / WIS 13 / CHA 8

Traits: Psionic Knack, Unorthodox Method(Primal Fury -> Solar Wind)

Feats:
R: Rapid Reload(Pistol)
1: (was Deadly Aim until I noticed the +1BAB req)Hustle Power?
Stalker: Point Blank and Precise Shot via Sniper’s Tools
3: Psionic Shot
5: Psionic Meditation
7: One Pattern

Deeds: Quick Clear, Gunslinger Initiative

Insights: Discerning Pattern

Powers: Detect Psi, Psionic Repair, Inevitable Strike, Minor Metamorphosis, Vigor, Breach, Cloud Mind, Heightened Vision

Stance: Phantom Sun Stance

Maneuvers Known(6):
Tempest Gale:SlipstreamStrike(ignore cover)
Riven Hourglass: Clockwatcher(act in sup. rnd)
Steel serpent: Dizzying Venom Prana(1rnd stagger save for wis dmg)
Thrashing dragon: Leaping Dragon(jump bonus)
Solar Wind: Curving ray shot(percep check ignore cover), Steady Hand(+30 1st range inc)

Notable gear: +1 elven chain, +1 Distance Deep Crystal Pistol, +2 dex belt, res cloak +2, int headband +2

Mostly this a single shot build, packing as much damage as I can into one shot. At 8 I'm doing up to 1d8+6d6+3 physical and 4d6+10 untyped from disrupt pattern assuming I get all my bonuses(Psi Shot, Sneak Attack, Deep Crystal, Inspiration), for an average of 28.5+24 damage on a single shot.

Reloads are via Phantom Sun whenever I can spare a Move or Swift, and via Alchemical cartridge when I can't.

I want to fit Deadly Aim in somewhere but I don't see a place to fit it in right now. I had it as my first level feat until I noticed the BAB prereq won't let me do that. Right now I have Hustle Power in its place until I come up with something better.

Thoughts, advice? I'm aiming for mid-power, reliable damage rogue with skillmonkey on the side.