PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Noobish Question - Casting time on wondrous items?

thecrimsondawn
2016-07-22, 09:20 PM
I just crafted an item with a 1/day spell that has quite a long casting time on it. The item as you can guess from the title is a wondrous item. If I use that 1/day charge on my item, does the casting time apply? Also does this rule change for any other form of magic item? (eg: scrolls, staves, and so on)

thecrimsondawn
2016-07-25, 01:09 AM
been a couple days, bumping the thread.

Does an item with a x/day use have a cast time at all if the spell it can use x/day has a cast time longer then 1 round? Im looking for item examples to see if there is anything like that but I have not found one just yet.

nyjastul69
2016-07-25, 01:37 AM
been a couple days, bumping the thread.

Does an item with a x/day use have a cast time at all if the spell it can use x/day has a cast time longer then 1 round? Im looking for item examples to see if there is anything like that but I have not found one just yet.

What is the item in question?

TheBrassDuke
2016-07-25, 07:07 AM
And typically the item allows you to cast the particular spell with the same casting time; "as per the spell of the same name" sort of deal.

thecrimsondawn
2016-07-25, 09:56 AM
What is the item in question?

With the crafting rules, any item you craft with a 1/day spell on it. I am looking for items that have uses per day with a cast time longer then 1 round, but have not found any yet. I also cant find any raw clarification on this either.

legomaster00156
2016-07-25, 10:24 AM
With the crafting rules, any item you craft with a 1/day spell on it. I am looking for items that have uses per day with a cast time longer then 1 round, but have not found any yet. I also cant find any raw clarification on this either.
Yes, typically they will retain their casting time. See the Scholar's Ring and its ability to utilize Legend Lore.

Gallowglass
2016-07-25, 10:36 AM

I don't think you'll find the raw clarification you desire. I recall other discussions on this question and have never seen someone post definitive RAW on it, just two sides of the argument both belittling each other.

Usually, this is paired with the discussion that, if you apply metamagic to a spell that has a 10 minute casting time, it reduces the casting time to 1 full round action. An argument that one side proclaims RAWgical and the other side RAIdiculous.

Personally, as a GM, I wouldn't let someone bypass the longer casting time by crafting it as a wondrous item. I'd enforce the item to use the casting time action of the spell it emulates.

Psyren
2016-07-25, 11:12 AM
If it's an existing item, link to it and we can figure out how it works from the wording.

If it's a custom item, you'll have to ask your GM as they created/approved it for you to be able to craft in their world.

thecrimsondawn
2016-07-25, 11:45 AM
I don't think you'll find the raw clarification you desire. I recall other discussions on this question and have never seen someone post definitive RAW on it, just two sides of the argument both belittling each other.

Usually, this is paired with the discussion that, if you apply metamagic to a spell that has a 10 minute casting time, it reduces the casting time to 1 full round action. An argument that one side proclaims RAWgical and the other side RAIdiculous.

Personally, as a GM, I wouldn't let someone bypass the longer casting time by crafting it as a wondrous item. I'd enforce the item to use the casting time action of the spell it emulates.

Right, well its more along the lines of if the casting time was negated, then there would be an added cost somewhere related to it, as you would be paying for the time that would be spent (much like the 50-100 charges of a costly material component), but since there is none I will have to abide by the casting time.

The scholars ring is about the closest I will get eh? but it does have a relative time limit on it so it makes sense. Rather by the way that ring works, one could assume there is no cast time, but rather a cool down timer between when you can use it next again - thereby making 1/day pointless unless you have other abilities attached to it.

For simplicity sake I am going to go with the timed duration since there is no solid raw on this.

What I have is a 1/day item create greater demiplane that I made and the casting time is going to put me out of RP action for a while, lol