PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Druid / Master Of Many Forms / WarShaper

Nerdguy88
2016-07-23, 02:00 AM
I am playing in a very combat heavy campaign. I am looking for really good feats that can be taken to increase the effectiveness of my transformations.

Current Levels: Totem Druid 2/Master of Many Forms 1
Current Feats: Alertness , Endurance - Requirements for MoMFs

I have not chosen my level 3 feat yet. I will take MoMFs 4 then go into Warshaper. I am currently very melee focused. The class levels are pretty set at this point. Its more for the RP element. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

eggynack
2016-07-23, 06:04 AM
The things that make wild shape its best are the form adding feats. Aberration wild shape, dragon wild shape, exalted wild shape, and frozen wild shape. It is convenient that they can be arranged alphabetically and by descending power level simultaneously. But you're using master of many forms, so a lot of that stuff is gonna be super redundant. You already have access to most of those forms, and a good amount of the utility you'd get from them, and what you don't have is made somewhat pointless by the fact that you can only assume one form at a time. The point is twofold. First, feats are only gonna do so much here, and second, the best way to build from here, if you must focus on melee wild shape stuff, is just to add more levels of master of many forms. It's no straight druid, but it makes you about as good as you're going to get at turning into cool stuff and alternately beating the crap out of enemies and securing a ton of utility. Warshaper is really something you add at the end of a build, once you're done with the far superior master of many forms levels.

Anyway, maybe pick up stuff like multiattack, improved natural attack, and, if you really want to go all out, assume supernatural ability. None of it is going to make a huge difference, because a lot of your ability is necessarily bound up in the form changing itself, but it helps. Check out the MoMF bible (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472737-Updated-Master-of-Many-Forms-Bible-official-wild-shape-rules-(recovered)), which has a pretty solid rundown of useful forms. My druid handbook isn't incredibly applicable here, but it does have a really great list of aberrations, if/when you get to that point, and some stuff like sometimes wild shape relevant items and other forms of note (plants and animals in this case, mostly).

Pyromancer999
2016-07-23, 07:41 AM
If your DM is allowing Totem Druid to qualify, you might want to go Totem Druid 2/Master of Many Forms 10/Warshaper 2/Nature's Warrior 5/X 1. X can be anything, but Monk would be pretty good if you can swing it, for the Wis to unarmored AC bonus, or maybe another level in Druid for 3rd level spells and further Wildshape progression.

Why so little of Warshaper? Because while the benefits are good, they do not progress your Wildshape at all, so you're two levels behind a normal MoMF. If allowable, I would recommend swapping the Warshaper levels for Planar Shepherd levels, which not only advance spellcasting and Wildshape, but also allows you to wildshape into magical beasts native to whatever plane you choose. For this, just choose whatever plane has the most different magical beasts.

I would also recommend(if still allowable) retraining your Totem Druid levels to have the Druidic Avenger ACF. This gets rid of your animal companion, who is only going to be a combat burden at higher levels due to lack of advancement, and also gets you Rage and Fast Movement(which are not exclusive to the form you're getting, although not totally sure about that concerning the latter.

Nerdguy88
2016-07-23, 09:03 AM
Snip

Thank you for the advise and the link to the handbook!

Snip

Well my level advancement would be TD2/MOFM4/WS3/MOFM2(6 total for huge size)/WS2/MOMF4/xxxx3. As far as retraining that isn't something that would be allowed otherwise it would have been fantastic!

As far as planar Shepherd goes I had looked at it. The problem is it would not fit in our campaign.

Pyromancer999
2016-07-23, 11:46 AM
Well my level advancement would be TD2/MOFM4/WS3/MOFM2(6 total for huge size)/WS2/MOMF4/xxxx3. As far as retraining that isn't something that would be allowed otherwise it would have been fantastic!

Not a bad build, although you will only be able to wildshape into creatures with 15HD or less, assuming the xxxx levels all advance wildshape, which isn't exactly optimal in terms of forms to wildshape into. Also, as a Master of Many Forms, I do not think you will find at least the last two levels useful. You'll be able to get Fast Healing with the Extraordinary Wildshape class feature(gets you all the form's special qualities). Also, given that you'll have 10 uses of Wildshape from MoMF + whatever you get from Totem Druid, it's unlikely you'll need to change form that many times per day. I think you'd get a lot more out of increasing your HD limit on the creatures you can shift into. As for the xxxx 3, definitely try to fill that in with Nature's Warrior. Gets you some sub-par spellcasting advancement(which granted, is better than none), and all levels advance your wildshape. This also nets you two selectable benefits to your Wildshape forms(for 3 levels, 3 if taken to 5). These can be very good to add on, especially if most of your time is spent in Wildshaped forms. The PrC also has full BAB, which is nice.

Also, for items, get the Trappings of the Beast set from Complete Champion to up your level for Wildshape by 1.

Edit: Actually, for the build you have going right now, Trappings of the Beast + Wildshape Amulet cover the lost wildshape levels.