PDA

View Full Version : Abyssal creatures

janusmaxwell
2016-07-23, 10:11 AM
Had a thought regarding critters and their templates.

You've got the bog-standard beasties. Then Dire versions of those critters, and from there you can throw on things like Horrid and/or Fiendish.

My thought; if you consider that a Dire critter is made due to magical radiation shenanigans, (This is MY interpretation anyway), while Horrid is when Druid's go mad scientist, and Fiendish is when a Demon or Devil says "Rabbits? Oh, we got those too! Wanna see?", then what would happen if we stuck with the Dire progression without influence from outside forces (Or rather, minimal influence)?

My overall idea is that an Abyssal creature is a ground up reboot of an animal to look normal in shape, but the finer details are wrong and they are even deadlier than the Dire versions. For example, as a S--ts and giggles thing, an Abyssal Rabbit would be the size of a German Shepherd, and it's kicks would do 2d4 base as it has Powerful Build and had Improved Natural Attack (Possibly qualify it as a Natural Slam attack but might not be that necessary).

Other than that, things like Nat Armor or bonuses to speed and such, or possibly giving a critter magic, I'll defer to those who know a helluvalot more than I do about this stuff.

janusmaxwell
2016-07-23, 10:14 AM
Another thought; while some things would be standard for an abyssal template, (Powerful Build, improved natural attack), have abilities that are 'customized' to a critter for things that they aren't known for, just to throw people for a loop.

Example: Abyssal Bear with Uncanny Dodge and Evasion.

I think I'm evil.