PDA

View Full Version : Dispel Magic in an Area

imneuromancer
2016-07-23, 10:57 AM
The Dispel Magic spell states, "Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range."

For spells that "target" an area, can the area be considered an object.

For example, Entangle states "Grasping weeds and vines sprout from the ground in a 20-foot square starting form a point within range." For purposes of targeting, can the ground be considered an object? Page 204 seems to differentiate between targets and the point of origin of the area of effect spell, but then again the two topics are in two different headings, so they may not be mutually exclusive.

Alternatively, can you take a target (say, a PC or a rock on the ground) who is affected by multiple entangles and cast Dispel Magic to get rid of the entangle spells around them?

Or, can Dispel Magic only target a single Entangle spell, and that's it?

EDIT: Assumption that there are multiple Entangle spells (or similar) overlapping in an area that would need to be dispelled.

Tl;dr: Can a Dispel Magic get rid of multiple area spells like the Entangle spell.

BiPolar
2016-07-23, 11:01 AM
I"m not sure you can have multiple entangles on a single area. Generally, spells don't stack effects if they are the same spell with the same effect.

If I was DMing, I"d rule that the dispel magic dispelling Entangle on that area would dispel all entangles. The effect is the same across those castings and you are dispelling the entanglement.

imneuromancer
2016-07-23, 11:08 AM
I"m not sure you can have multiple entangles on a single area. Generally, spells don't stack effects if they are the same spell with the same effect.

If I was DMing, I"d rule that the dispel magic dispelling Entangle on that area would dispel all entangles. The effect is the same across those castings and you are dispelling the entanglement.

Thanks for pointing out the assumption in my OP that the Engtangles are overlapping. I edited OP to add that assumption. I am trying to see if there is a way to get rid of multiple spell effects if they are all on the ground.

Does your answer change if there is an Entangle and a Spike Growth in the same overlapping area?

BiPolar
2016-07-23, 11:16 AM
Thanks for pointing out the assumption in my OP that the Engtangles are overlapping. I edited OP to add that assumption. I am trying to see if there is a way to get rid of multiple spell effects if they are all on the ground.

Does your answer change if there is an Entangle and a Spike Growth in the same overlapping area?

Yes, I think you'd need to cast it twice. You are dispelling the magic of an effect and not an area. THe choices are creature, object or effect. Those spells are effects and not creatures or objects.