PDA

View Full Version : Bragging rights

Pronounceable
2007-07-03, 05:49 PM
In the difficult=fun? thread I stressed the importance of bragging rights. This has been my firm belief since I saw a "Elmonster's Journal", a guy soloing BG2 with a wizard. Now being the arrogant jerk I am, I decided to make a thread dedicated to bragging rights. Stuff I feel that I can brag about in video games:

Soloing entire Baldur's Gate series with a thief->assasin on insane.

Finishing Jagged Alliance 2 on insane, as a solo merc specializing in thrown knives heading straight to the capitol to kill the queen.

Jedi Academy on jedi master: defeating Kyle Katarn on first try.

Desperados: Finishing the game in 4 days.

Commandos Beyond the Call of Duty: Finishing the game at all. (I know many folks who has played, yet none ever finished it. Perhaps this one isn't as bragworthy as I believe it to be?)

So what do you folks feel that you can brag about? Or is it normal people don't really brag, and it's just that I'm too arrogant?

Khantalas
2007-07-03, 05:56 PM
I finished Warrior Within and Two Thrones on Hard in less than one day. Individually.

That's about it. I am not a very good gamer, really. I will brag more if I finish all C&C 3 missions on hard difficulty with all intel discovered and bonus missions completed.

2007-07-03, 07:02 PM
I beat Resident Evil with just a knife (except unavoidable boss fights) in an hour...

Krytha
2007-07-03, 07:20 PM
...don't interest me.

Wojiz
2007-07-03, 09:03 PM
Beat Fallout 1 and 2 without killing anyone, Morrowind with the difficulty bar all the way to the right, KOTOR I + II without using any active Force Powers or a saber, mastered TKA, Fencer, Doctor and Musician at different times in Star Wars Galaxies, Jedi Outcast + Academy at Jedi Master level, RE4 with just a pistol (admittedly, it was easier since it was on the Wii), all the Gold Skulltulas in Ocarina of Time, all the heart pieces in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (Wind Waker was too much of a pain for all the heart pieces), Hector Mode on Fire Emblem on the GBA and got all the party members at one point or another, beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon in FF7, Sephiroth in KH 1+2 (Though that's not exactly much to brag about).

Mr._Blinky
2007-07-04, 01:42 AM
Playing Halo 2, won a multiplayer 1 vs. 4 game of Team Slayer 50 to 0. I(t) was insane.

I've probably done more stuff, but either I just can't remember it or it isn't actually impressive enough to repeat. Most of my badassery is in FPSs, especially Halo 2, but only when I'm on my game.

Haikiah
2007-07-04, 01:43 AM
Finished Super Mario 3 playing using only my toes.

Arang
2007-07-04, 06:57 AM
Won a Generals match in less than five minutes, using two units (Comanches, for those interested).

Beat all of Jedi Academy on (I think) Jedi Knight without reloading or getting up from my chair.

Played all the way through The Phantom Menace on the PC.

... I just realized that I don't have a particularly impressive gaming record. :smallfrown:

Emperor Ing
2007-07-04, 07:19 AM
this is embarassing...i am a REALLY good retreater in Gears of War

Setra
2007-07-04, 01:08 PM
I beat Sephiroth on KH2, on hard mode, level 56, without casting cure once, or using any elixirs, or healing potions.

Edit: Also, I've beaten Sephiroth in the original KH.

Also, beat Sephiroth in FFVII, level 43, no summons, no final limits, with Yuffie, Vincent, and Cloud.

Oh, and Emerald Weapon. (But not Ruby, I might be able to now but I lack a FF7 disc 1)

And Omega Weapon (Three times. V, VIII, and X)

And Shinryuu

And all the new bosses in the GBA version of FFI

And every new boss in the new FFIV, including the harder version of Zeromus.

And DMC3 (Only on easy though :smalltongue: )

Mr._Blinky
2007-07-04, 01:35 PM
Oh, and I beat the Six Lost Followers in Icewind Dale 2 without cheating or turning down the difficulty. Even if it was a side quest, that fight was a bitch.

Tengu
2007-07-04, 01:57 PM
Oh, and I beat the Six Lost Followers in Icewind Dale 2 without cheating or turning down the difficulty. Even if it was a side quest, that fight was a bitch.

I did that too. And funnily, it wasn't that hard - I did it on the first try after resting to regain the spells for my casters.

I've also beat Throne of Baal (Bhaal? I don't remember which one is in FR and which one in Diablo) with three characters - me (druid), Minsc and Imoen.

Spoiler for FF7:
I have three save slots, all of them taken right before the date in Gold Saucer, but instead of dating Aeris you go out with, respectively, Tifa, Yuffie, and Barret. Up to a certain point almost right before the date I played all of those from a single save slot.

Icewalker
2007-07-04, 02:13 PM
70 in WoW, although that isn't so massive of an achievement.

Devil May Cry 3, Special edition, gold orb mode:
Beat normal. Then Hard. Then Very hard. Then got to level 7/20 on Dante Must Die difficulty.

My friend and another kid beat Ratchet and Clank: Deadlocked, I'm not sure what difficulty...On DDR pads. I've beaten it on the hardest difficulty from the start.

Ratchet and Clank, third game, all weapons Omega (lvl8), although that is time not achievement, not much to brag about...

Tore open Fire Emblem. Fun stuff. Especially now that I've beaten it, I'm playing it again on an emulator, so save states and using RNG manipulation to a lesser extent...

I feel like I have more to brag about, but I don't, which is kind of annoying...hrmmm

I think the game was Jedi Academy, I don't remember what difficulty, only that it was ridiculously easy and I tore through it 2-3 times.

Setra
2007-07-04, 08:12 PM
I managed to play E.T. for longer than five minutes!

Imrahil
2007-07-04, 08:27 PM
I once beat System Shock 2 on Impossible, with one run (no saves); it was done in the middle of the night, in complete darkness, hyped up on caffeine and sugar. I actually consider the 'playing at night in the dark' more impressive an accomplishment for myself for that game (those who have played it can understand why).

Cubey
2007-07-04, 08:42 PM
I actually consider the 'playing at night in the dark' more impressive an accomplishment for myself for that game (those who have played it can understand why).

You said it... the game's scare enough even in "pansy mode" - playing during the day, sun shining from the outside, and gamma set up to a reasonable, but still very high level.

Desidus
2007-07-04, 09:45 PM
Completely Ocarina of Time with only 3 hearts, not a single death, and all without any restarts to clear my name.

tgva8889
2007-07-04, 10:04 PM
I completely beat the Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith DS game. It's funny, because it tells you to try beating the game upside-down. Still haven't done that yet, though. :smallbiggrin:

Besides that, nothing really noteworthy. Don't play many games that I can finish.

Ranis
2007-07-04, 10:11 PM
I beat God of War 2 on God mode.

I got to Memoria in FFIX in less than 12 hours, got to a certain corner in a certain room, and obtained the strongest weapon in the game. Then I went to sleep.

The Great Skenardo
2007-07-04, 10:17 PM
I, um.
<_<
>_>
I've gotten my main party in FFX to the point where Auron, Yuna and Rikku all have the following stats (more or less)
STR: 255
DEF: 250
AGL: 255
ACC: 255
MAG: 255
MDF: 200
EVA: 230
LUK: 20
After I max the rest out (except for luck), I'll work on pumping up HP. My goal is to be able to defeat the Greater Sphere without using a Summon.

Setra
2007-07-04, 10:33 PM
I beat Indacelio with his limiter removed, and the Iselia Queen. (Star Ocean 2)

Assasinater
2007-07-05, 12:43 PM
Anyone beating ADOM (without cheating, of course) can get their cookie from me.

Oh, and soloing BGII with a wizard isn't such a challenge IMHO, as compared to soloing it with a thief on insane (as in the example). Personally, I beat it with a group of three (namely, myself, who is a cavalier, Keldorn and Anomen) with all the "Improved stuff" mods installed. I even managed to slay the Improved Demogorgon easily that I've failed to slay with my full, six-person group earlier(with a cheesy kensai-mage as the leader).

Outcast and Academy on Jedi Master wasn't that hard IMHO, but somewhat random even if you perfectly know what you are doing.

The Six Lost Followers were normally entertainingly hard, but moderately easy if you do some batman-planning with your spellcasters and have a paladin to grab and use that holy avenger in that instant.

And my congratulations to the examples with Morrowind, Fallout and Jagged Alliance above.

Dihan
2007-07-05, 01:04 PM
I can beat the AI on Soul Calibur 3... They cheat!

Sewer_Bandito
2007-07-05, 01:31 PM
I stopped playing WoW after 3 months. Does that count? :smalltongue:

Actana
2007-07-05, 01:32 PM

Can I have the cookie please?:smallwink:
That game is a complete nerve wrecker. I played a gray elven wizard (my favorite race/class). It was my 738th character (Yes, I counted them, I've got a memory file for every "char 1", "char 2", "char 3" etc.) My road to the end started with finding the Seven League Boots and an Eternium Halberd in the first dungeon room I got into! That got me started. Finally, my stats were on average 80-90 (for those who don't know ADOM, imagine a D&D character with those stats :smallbiggrin: ), and a nearly unlimited supply of stommafillas.

The end is probably the hardest I've ever played! But its probably one of the most rewarding games there are!

Oh, can I say I finished a Ultra Ending as the Avatar of Order. Now that is some achievement if I may say myself.:smallcool:

Dihan
2007-07-05, 02:09 PM
Oooh Trauma Centre with two styluses on the hardest difficulty.

valadil
2007-07-05, 02:25 PM
Hmm. I got mario2 down to about 20 minutes, does that count for much?

I also did some disgusting things in savage: the battle for newerth. In that game, having your kill count equal your death is usually the sign of a pretty good player. I was one of the first to get a 10 kill streak. Eventually I got to the point where I regularly got 30 kill streaks. Other players ran instead of fighting me. That was the only game that I got into right when it came out and played regularly, keeping up with all the trends. I've been decent at other games too, but that was the only one I was really way ahead of the curve from the time it came out.

I knew a guy in high school who beat FF7 in one sitting. No idea how much mountain dew he went through that day.

Kurald Galain
2007-07-05, 04:14 PM
Zelda I on hard mode?

Bubble Bobble with two hands?

Descent on Ace level, iron man?

Setra
2007-07-05, 04:22 PM
I knew a guy in high school who beat FF7 in one sitting. No idea how much mountain dew he went through that day.
I did that once.

Though it was more tea than soda.

Assasinater
2007-07-05, 04:36 PM
Can I have the cookie please?:smallwink:
That game is a complete nerve wrecker. I played a gray elven wizard (my favorite race/class). It was my 738th character (Yes, I counted them, I've got a memory file for every "char 1", "char 2", "char 3" etc.) My road to the end started with finding the Seven League Boots and an Eternium Halberd in the first dungeon room I got into! That got me started. Finally, my stats were on average 80-90 (for those who don't know ADOM, imagine a D&D character with those stats :smallbiggrin: ), and a nearly unlimited supply of stommafillas.

The end is probably the hardest I've ever played! But its probably one of the most rewarding games there are!

Oh, can I say I finished a Ultra Ending as the Avatar of Order. Now that is some achievement if I may say myself.:smallcool:

*Hands over the cookie* :smallsmile:

Really, I've played old platform games and the like, but ADOM is one game that you need to give your full attention the whole time (which is over many hours) and can still lose with a very good chance (and there is no reloading of course). I've lost around 500 characters myself, and still no wins.

Ronsian
2007-07-05, 05:42 PM
*takes cookie* This better be chocolate Chip cookie.... I beat Adom several times. Although, must've taken me 1,000 plus characters.

Gotten over 200 kills in a 500 ticket match in Battlefield 1942 (NPC's 10-1 but still :smallamused:).

I haven't done anything else Incredible, I just beat games pretty well.

Lolzords
2007-07-06, 02:52 PM
Lets see...

Completed Monkey Island 3 in one sitting.

Completed Monkey Island 2 in one sitting.

I've done some other good stuff, but my memory's gone really fuzzy for some reason.

H. Zee
2007-07-07, 02:46 AM
I beat Baldur's Gate I in one 3-hour sitting. With a solo party, and without cheats. It's easy if you know how. You need to be a Thief/Mage with good Sneak and Pick Lock skills, and you need to know your way around the game like the back of your hand. Once you've broken into the house in Beregost and collected the Lightning Wand, you have the means to beat all the main bosses who trigger new chapters.

endoperez
2007-07-07, 05:17 AM

I've completed ADOM once. I didn't cheat, but I did read spoilers. I guess that earns me at least half a cookie.

Penguinizer
2007-07-07, 05:26 AM
Meh, I haven't done anything remarkable.

Mainly, I beat Unreal 2 in a single day. No Mountain Dew consumed!!
I did die at least once or twice per level on medium. The last level was a bit of a pain.

Lorthain
2007-07-08, 01:10 AM
Neat thread.

My unique accomplishment: beating Icewind Dale 2 (including Six Lost Followers) with a solo, pure-class Bard on normal difficulty without using cheats, song stacking, power mods (except collector's edition bonus items), or even that exp mod that stops the exp from scaling to zero for higher level characters (though I felt tempted). Another solo bard of mine beat IWD1 plus its expansions.

I also solo'd the Ascension mod for BG2:ToB (after solo'ing BG1&2) on normal difficulty without cheats or power mods (except official bonus merchants) or item abuse (like the Staff of the Magi's invisibility), though it was using a fighter/mage/thief.

Generic 'Hardest Difficulty' Accomplishments (without cheats of course): Farcry, Jedi Acadamy (killing virtually all saber opponents with force grip, except the end boss), No One Lives Forever 2, Deus Ex, C&C Zero Hour, C&C 3 (including all intel and whatnot), Max Payne 2, Thief 2, and some others that weren't very hard (like Half-life 2).

Also, I played through Fallout 1 on the hardest difficulties as a pacifist (zero kills; pretty easy), idiot (Int 2 without using mentats or other tricks to boost it; moderately difficult), and homicidal maniac (shooting everybody on sight except at Vault 13; very difficult).

Miklus
2007-07-08, 05:21 AM
I beat Icewind dale: Heart of Winter with a fresh party. You are supposed to continue with the old party from IWD, but hey, I like a challenge :smallsigh: It was so funny at first, you get like 60,000XP for a minor city quest. But then come the monsters...and no equipment :smalleek:

In Alpha Centauri, my high score is 413%. Ok, not very impressive, but I *finally* got a tech win so I could see the end cinematics. I am now one with all the fungus! :smallwink: Oh, and it was with the "Iron man" option.

Crilley
2007-07-08, 10:03 PM
I got mediocre in MGSO?

I beat Game on my girlfriends tv?

I beat Transformers DS in 3hrs?

I won at electroplankton?

Yeah I dont know. I dont win at a lot of games

Crilley
2007-07-08, 10:12 PM
Oh... and I got BEARDMAN the dwarvern wizard on ADOM to level 10 without cheating

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-08, 10:45 PM
I've single-sittinged Blue Shift, but then, that's about the only way to play it.

I've beaten Star Wars Rebellion as both sides. Didn't bother with the Death Star or redeeming Vader, though. Just pure economics. And diplomacy.

I got third in a Halo tournament against experienced players without owning an Xbox (or even really liking the game).

I've played Auto Assault. Just having played it puts you a level above people who haven't even tried the free trial, it's that awesome. And frickin' NCSoft is cutting server support end of August... grrrrr...

I've won in several 2 on 1s in Eternal Silence, and can bombing run any space maps in under 5 min. without getting shot down.

I've won as the ZM in Zombie Master without spawning in zombies against more than 3 players. Environmental traps for the win, quite literally.

I won a 2 on 1 in a ranked match on Battle.net in Starcraft. My ally quit out 30 secs in. It was my first online match. Zealot rushed the zerg player, then got into a slugging match with the other Tossie.

Stoneburr
2007-07-08, 11:12 PM
And here I was, going to brag that I too had played Auto Assault.... :smallbiggrin:

Guess it's back to the plan to solo the BBEG in Tales of Symphonia.

Ranis
2007-07-08, 11:24 PM
Auto Assault was so bad that it made me want to rip my spleen, piss on it, get a brontosaurus to step on it, then eat it.

For liking it? You get the Trophy of Awesomeness for being able to stomach something that few ever can or will.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-09, 12:59 PM
...Huh.

What about it repelled you so much? Personally, I found it fun a good deal of the time, a pleasant change from the usual grind of WoW, or the irritating inability to actually find a decent party at the mid-high end of the GW campaign (and therefore, inability to progress).

Edit: And your deathly silence is only serving to make me more curious. I don't doubt that you might not have liked it--just wondering if you're having a problem finding a specific point you disliked so strongly, or if it was the game as a whole.