PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or is film and TV much darker than it used to be?

Wardog
2016-07-24, 06:55 AM
I don't mean metaphorically dark (as in grimdark, etc), but literally dark.

When I was younger, scenes set at night, or in dark rooms, caves, etc, were always reasonably well illuminated, and just used various styalistic conventions (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodDarkness) to indicate that they were supposed to be in the dark, and that the characters couldn't see what the audience could.

But it seem to me that these days, presumably for a misguided sense of ''realism'', scenes set in the dark are filmed in the dark, which makes it really hard for the audiance to see what is happening.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my eyesight getting worse?

Starbuck_II
2016-07-24, 07:11 AM
I don't mean metaphorically dark (as in grimdark, etc), but literally dark.

When I was younger, scenes set at night, or in dark rooms, caves, etc, were always reasonably well illuminated, and just used various styalistic conventions (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodDarkness) to indicate that they were supposed to be in the dark, and that the characters couldn't see what the audience could.

But it seem to me that these days, presumably for a misguided sense of ''realism'', scenes set in the dark are filmed in the dark, which makes it really hard for the audiance to see what is happening.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my eyesight getting worse?

Yes, there are certain shows. Not sure why.

Cheesegear
2016-07-24, 07:17 AM
I don't know what show you're specifically referring to, but shows with, shall we say...Limited ability to produce CGI, are usually darker, as it prevents us - the audience - from seeing the (bad) CGI. Also, like a guy who's been to the gym for five weeks, bad lighting is your friend. In addition to hiding CGI, bad lighting also gives deeper shadows (obviously), which hides the fact that certain sets may or may not be made out of cardboard or styrofoam.

Other tricks involve the use of rain. Godzilla (1998), took place almost exclusively at night, and in the rain, to better hide the CGI.

CGI-heavy climactic battles in movies that take place in the dark, and in the rain, are so obvious if you know what you're looking at.

Kitten Champion
2016-07-24, 07:28 AM
This (http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2016/06/cinematographers_from_game_of_thrones_jessica_jone s_and_better_call_saul.html)article explains why, namely that the abundance of HDTVs and advancements in digital colour correction allowed television cinematography to more closely resemble those employed by movies and move out the traditional lighting schemes used since the 50's - basically greater control of the final product via editing on computers.

Rodin
2016-07-24, 09:01 AM
This (http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2016/06/cinematographers_from_game_of_thrones_jessica_jone s_and_better_call_saul.html)article explains why, namely that the abundance of HDTVs and advancements in digital colour correction allowed television cinematography to more closely resemble those employed by movies and move out the traditional lighting schemes used since the 50's - basically greater control of the final product via editing on computers.

Of course, the nasty side effect of this is that when I'm watching on mobile I can't see a damned thing because they assume I'm going to be watching on an HDTV.

Beleriphon
2016-07-24, 02:36 PM
Of course, the nasty side effect of this is that when I'm watching on mobile I can't see a damned thing because they assume I'm going to be watching on an HDTV.

With even a medium end smart phone you can get true HD image quality. What kind of phone are you using?

Blackhawk748
2016-07-24, 02:57 PM
I dont so much mind the darkness of what im seeing, as i can usually see it fine, but what bugs me is that everyone seems to be wearing darker or more washed out colors. This is fine in a Western, but go watch House of Flying Daggers and just see how much less color there is in movies nowadays.

Rodin
2016-07-24, 06:13 PM
With even a medium end smart phone you can get true HD image quality. What kind of phone are you using?

Whichever IPhone was most modern at the end of 2015. Most stuff isn't a huge problem, but I actually gave up watching Game of Thrones on it because I couldn't see what the heck was going on in the dark scenes.

KillingAScarab
2016-07-25, 07:50 AM
Whichever IPhone was most modern at the end of 2015. Most stuff isn't a huge problem, but I actually gave up watching Game of Thrones on it because I couldn't see what the heck was going on in the dark scenes.Somewhere, David Lynch just smiled as he instantly became aware of his token victory in the contest to shape people's entertainment opinions. The somewhere in question was in the company of a gogo dancer feverishly applying lipstick to the plastic wrap covering her mouth.

A downside of a device which contains both a monitor and a battery is that it will function for longer on a single charge when the light it produces is reduced.

Knaight
2016-07-25, 08:52 AM
I dont so much mind the darkness of what im seeing, as i can usually see it fine, but what bugs me is that everyone seems to be wearing darker or more washed out colors. This is fine in a Western, but go watch House of Flying Daggers and just see how much less color there is in movies nowadays.

House of Flying Daggers is a lot of things, but not colorful isn't one of them.

Blackhawk748
2016-07-25, 04:39 PM
House of Flying Daggers is a lot of things, but not colorful isn't one of them.

Thats what i meant, its got an insane amount of color, now look at a new movie. Nothing. I do realize that i could have said that better though.

Kitten Champion
2016-07-25, 05:04 PM
Thats what i meant, its got an insane amount of color, now look at a new movie. Nothing. I do realize that i could have said that better though.

There are still a number of colourful movies being produced - most Wes Anderson and Guillermo del Toro movies, Disney/Pixar animated features, Marvel movies (somewhat), James Cameron's Avatar (and I would assume its various unwanted sequels), Life of Pi, and Scott Pilgrim v. The World off the top of my head - granted Hollywood's affection for muted colour filters or obnoxious Micheal Bay-styled teal-orange shot-perpetually-at-sunset tint has become the norm for blockbusters for... some reason. I mean just looking at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory old to new, Spider-Man to Amazing Spider-Man, or even the Harry Potter movies as time trotted on, and you get the gist of what Hollywood thinks a modern movie is supposed to look like.

Blackhawk748
2016-07-25, 07:36 PM
There are still a number of colourful movies being produced - most Wes Anderson and Guillermo del Toro movies, Disney/Pixar animated features, Marvel movies (somewhat), James Cameron's Avatar (and I would assume its various unwanted sequels), Life of Pi, and Scott Pilgrim v. The World off the top of my head - granted Hollywood's affection for muted colour filters or obnoxious Micheal Bay-styled teal-orange shot-perpetually-at-sunset tint has become the norm for blockbusters for... some reason. I mean just looking at Charlie and the Chocolate Factory old to new, Spider-Man to Amazing Spider-Man, or even the Harry Potter movies as time trotted on, and you get the gist of what Hollywood thinks a modern movie is supposed to look like.

Ok, i was generalizing, but as you say its a trend, and one i dont get. I like color, please put more color in my movies. Im fine with Westerns and movies like Batman having muted colors though, as it makes sense, but Superman is far to muted on his colors for my liking.

Fri
2016-07-26, 05:34 AM
A strangely relevant article.

Why TV Shows Are Darker Than They've Ever Been (http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2016/06/cinematographers_from_game_of_thrones_jessica_jone s_and_better_call_saul.html)

Quild
2016-07-26, 08:23 AM
A strangely relevant article.

Why TV Shows Are Darker Than They've Ever Been (http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2016/06/cinematographers_from_game_of_thrones_jessica_jone s_and_better_call_saul.html)

It's really close from the one linked by Kitten Champion.
But interesting anyway.

I'm not fond of everything getting that dark though. Some Game of Thrones scene are ridiculously dark.

Darth Credence
2016-07-26, 09:58 AM

That's a feature, not a bug. TV programs and movies are not designed to be watched on mobile - they are generally designed to be watched on large screen HDTVs. Youtube videos are often shot in such a way as to be just as watchable on mobile devices, although that is more because there is usually very little concern for lighting and camera work in those as opposed to being designed for mobile. Some are actually lit and shot for mobile, generally Youtube type content from major providers.

sktarq
2016-07-27, 02:13 PM
Then again as a kid I always found TV. Tto be horribly bright. The lack of shadows and overuse of color was a strong marker of it being unreal. Newer TV tech has allowed directors/producers to expand their lighting choices which has moved the average significantly darker.