PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Idea for a Psion, good or bad?

Unbodied
2016-07-24, 01:48 PM
So I've been thinking of making a Psion for some new campaigns that will hopefully get of the ground. I've been looking through this immensely useful guide (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YVapC-VhuKDQ5vx4T2go8v4HdY6vX7U_FUA-IEn_yrM/edit#) by Squirel Dude (thanks Squirrel Dude) as well as the books and stuff and I've stumbled onto something interesting that I might want to try.

Namely to pick Control Flames as one of my 1st Level powers and chose Half-Orc as my race (a very good option apparently) and then pick Fast Learner as one of my Feats (I think Half-Orcs can take Human Feats?) so that I can take both the Human Favored Class Bonus to get more Powers and the Half-Orc Favored Class Bonus to decrease the cost of Control Flames. Combined with Overchannel (and with the disadvantages removed with Talented) I should eventually be able to hit far above my weight class with that Power. However I'm fairly new to the game and not very good at calculating all the math and stuff so I'm not sure if that's actually a good idea or not. Thoughts? :smallconfused:

Edit:
Actually here's another idea. It seems a bit Feat intensive but if I wanted to play race specific Psion archetype would it be worth playing as Human with the Racial Heritage and Fast Learner feats so that I can get the +1/2 power known Favored Class Bonus and the Psionic Aptitude (aka more PP) Favored Class Bonus?

avr
2016-07-24, 04:13 PM
Fast learner doesn't do what you think it does. Depending on how it's read it either gives you

(+1 hp & +1 skill point) or a racial favored class bonus,

or more permissively,

(+1 hp & +1 skill point) with the option of a racial FCB replacing one of those.

It refers only to a singular 'alternate class reward' when you gain a level, not to multiple such.

Even if allowed I wouldn't go with your first idea though. Control flames is a most unimpressive power. The second sounds practical (again, if allowed) but boring.