PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Is There Icy Goodness in the Irrisen Sourcebook?

Palanan
2016-07-24, 07:01 PM
I'm starting up a campaign with some frigid elements, and I'm wondering if the Irrisen campaign setting has enough material to be useful outside of its intended region. Apparently it has in-depth information on Irrisen's geography and politics, but that's not all that useful, since I'll be running the game in my own setting.

So, does the Irrisen sourcebook have enough standalone material on inclement weather, snowy creatures, and icy hazards to make it worthwhile? Or are those just afterthoughts to the politics and Babacentric history?

Arutema
2016-07-26, 01:37 AM
I'm starting up a campaign with some frigid elements, and I'm wondering if the Irrisen campaign setting has enough material to be useful outside of its intended region. Apparently it has in-depth information on Irrisen's geography and politics, but that's not all that useful, since I'll be running the game in my own setting.

So, does the Irrisen sourcebook have enough standalone material on inclement weather, snowy creatures, and icy hazards to make it worthwhile? Or are those just afterthoughts to the politics and Babacentric history?

For non-setting-specific icy goodness, I'd recommend People of the North, which is split between fluff on Golarion's icier regions and cultures, and wintry goodness that can be applied to any rugged northern nomad, viking, or ice witch.

It also has the Snowball spell, for those of you who miss the 3.5 Orb spell cheese.

ekarney
2016-07-26, 01:39 AM
It's 3.5 but you should be able to port it over easily, Frostburn has a lot of icy goodness and I think even rules for captaining icebergs.

Palanan
2016-07-26, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Arutema
For non-setting-specific icy goodness, I'd recommend People of the North, which is split between fluff on Golarion's icier regions and cultures, and wintry goodness that can be applied to any rugged northern nomad, viking, or ice witch.

Interesting, thanks. But from the back cover, it seems to be mainly focused on character options, and I'm looking more for creatures, terrain hazards, and other icy horrors to throw at a low-level party.

The Irrisen sourcebook apparently has a mini-bestiary of snow creatures, but I'm not sure how many there are or what levels they're appropriate for.

Arutema
2016-07-26, 07:35 PM
Interesting, thanks. But from the back cover, it seems to be mainly focused on character options, and I'm looking more for creatures, terrain hazards, and other icy horrors to throw at a low-level party.

The Irrisen sourcebook apparently has a mini-bestiary of snow creatures, but I'm not sure how many there are or what levels they're appropriate for.

Digging up my copy and looking through it, the bestiary is mostly devoted to Baba Yaga's riders and associated fey. I'd look up the Boreal template on one of the various online SRDs and skip this book, as it's largely about the geography and politics of Irrisen.

Palanan
2016-07-26, 08:48 PM
Much appreciated, thank you. :smallsmile: