PDA

View Full Version : Spellhoarding Dragon Class Advancement

KingFrog
2016-07-24, 07:43 PM
A game on the forums for which I am applying has a high optimization threshold, and as such I'm working on one of the infamous white dragonspawn loredrake dragonwrought kobolds.

Dragon #313 has dragon psychoses which affect a dragon's casting, in particular, the spellhoarding psychosis (page 79) which, among other things, changes the dragon's casting to be that of a wizard rather than that of a sorcerer.

So, before I take my first level, I have 3 levels of sorcerer casting (1 from WDS and 2 from Loredrake). I then apply the spellhoarding psychosis, changing this to wizard casting. Now, this is where there is perhaps a bit of vagueness: if I wish to advance the innate casting with a class level, do I take a level of wizard or a level of sorcerer which is then transformed into wizard casting by the spellhoarding psychosis?

I would appreciate any insights anyone has, and thanks in advance.

TotallyNotEvil
2016-07-24, 11:29 PM
If the wording on Spellhoarding changes the racial Sorcerer spellcasting, so you probably should take levels in Wizard. What's the point of even considering levels in Sorcerer? Even if it will be converted to Wizard casting, you dont get the bonus feats.

KingFrog
2016-07-24, 11:31 PM
I'm of the opinion that wizard should advance the casting, but the DM was uncertain and he thought we should ask the community's opinion. I totally know that wizard is the better choice (especially with the bonus feat/better ACF's), but we wanted to find out if my reading was the correct one.

Draconium
2016-07-24, 11:33 PM
Yeah, even if the Sorcerer levels could advance your spellcasting - which I doubt they could - Wizard levels would definitely advance them and are superior to boot.

TotallyNotEvil
2016-07-24, 11:36 PM
I don't really see ambiguity here. A Spellhoarding dragon would levels in Wizard would work the same way a normal dragon with levels in Sorcerer, the spellcasting aspect stacks with the dragon's, the class features don't.

So your Spellhoarding Steel Loredrake with four levels of Wizard would have the spell known and spell slots of a level 7 Wizard, but wouldn't have the bonus feat wizards get at 5th.

Bobby Baratheon
2016-07-25, 12:10 AM
IIRC, you can't actually be a dragonspawn and a dragonwrought kobold at the same time, though if it's a high op game it likely doesn't matter.

KingFrog
2016-07-25, 12:59 AM
IIRC, you can't actually be a dragonspawn and a dragonwrought kobold at the same time, though if it's a high op game it likely doesn't matter.

It's a questionable thing that pits the procedure for character creation (choosing feats comes after race selection, which would logically include templates, even acquired ones that you have at the game start) against the logic of the two things (dragonwrought is an at-birth thing, but WDS is an acquired template, albeit one that might also be able to breed true depending on who you ask), but I ended up scrapping it from my build after I put up the question because I found a way to be outside my normal form most of the time.