PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Swift Hunter looking for dips

Trogdorfubar
2016-07-24, 11:42 PM
Hey all I am in a game where the bad guys have all been Demons or Devils, I am running a ranged volley character (Currently 15 going on 16)that is mostly a Mystic Ranger (9), with a dip in Scout (1), Monk(1), and Warblade (3) so I can twenty foot step for Improved Skirmish every turn. I also have a one level in Targetter Fighter with the Arrow Swarm ability.

My party gets haste from our swift blade every combat and I have Hanks energy bow with Splitting and Bane, so I currently make 12 attacks a turn with 25-29 base to hit. (BAB 14 so 3 iterative, 2 T-Fighter, 1 Haste, then double from Splitting) I usually do 400+ damage a turn and I do have WRT for a second action.

I am thinking of taking one more level of Mystic Ranger to gain the 5th level spell slot and one more skirmish dice but after that I have no idea on what to take.

This leads me to my question can the playground help me come up with anything interesting for my last 4 levels?

Metahuman1
2016-07-25, 01:22 AM
Some more levels in Warblade, and/or levels in swordsage and/or Crusader, could work. Give you a few extra tricks. Not all of them even necessarily Melee oriented, as some of the higher level tome of battle maneuvers work for ranged attacks.

Or alternatively, if you've got the feats, 3-4 levels of Bard. Pick up Song of the Heart, maybe Melodic Casting, Words of Power, maybe Lingering Song or Song of the White Raven. Grab a couple of the item form Magic Item Compendium that gives you 3/day +1's to inspire courage and the Inspirational Boost spell. Give yourself and the whole Party +8-+10 to hit and damage every hit, and a few late game skill ranks to boot as well as probably 1 or 2 other snazzy spells.

Barbarian, particularly if your not using concentration much or doing much in game casting, is also nifty. With all the Sub Levels, AFC's and variants, I'm sure there's some useful ability or other you can find for it for the first few levels.

Fighter for bonus feats, obligatory mention.

Cloistered Cleric and if you can get into it at this level, speaker of the Sovereign Host, can also provide some nice things, particularly form Domain and Devotion feats or giving Turn undead to open up some Persist Spell goodness if you can get it online fast enough. (Extend spell if you don't already have it is easy to snag off a domain.).

Alternatively, Ur-Priest can for just 4 Levels get you access to Cleric spells up to 4th level.

If you meet the alignment requirements and have some Charisma, Consider Paladin of Freedom. Mixed with some of the other Sub Levels and/or a feat or two powered by Turn Undead, and you can swap out anything too low level to be useful easy enough I'm sure. But that blanket immunity form mind effecting things and Divine Grace are good enough for 3 levels on there own. Detect Evil at will is a nice Benny, and If you can do something with Casting/Turn Undead/Smite Evil or an alternate class feature or Substitution level, so much the better.

Wizard if you've got the Int or the ability to run the PHB 2's Immediate Magic AFC off another stat can be a neat trick for that class, particularly if you pick Conjuration as your school of focus.

That's what I've got off the top of my head anyway.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-07-25, 06:17 AM
Demonwrecker allows you to treat any weapon you wield as good-aligned and cold iron, with a two-level dip. Requires Spell Penetration, sadly.

A barbarian dip can get you another favoured enemy, as can a druid dip. Check the Unearthed Arcana variants.

BowStreetRunner
2016-07-25, 07:47 AM
2 levels of Stalker of Kharash will get you Favored Enemy: Evil.

TIPOT
2016-07-26, 04:15 AM
I'm curious how you can be a swift hunter when one of the requirements for it is skirmish +1d6/+1 AC which requires 3 levels in scout normally?

Metahuman1
2016-07-26, 04:22 AM
2 levels of Stalker of Kharash will get you Favored Enemy: Evil.

What book is that found in?

BowStreetRunner
2016-07-26, 07:53 AM
What book is that found in?

Book of Exalted Deeds.

Trogdorfubar
2016-07-26, 02:24 PM
I'm curious how you can be a swift hunter when one of the requirements for it is skirmish +1d6/+1 AC which requires 3 levels in scout normally?

Because I don't have the books and grabbed it after looking at a website that didn't have the +1AC listed in the prereqs.

Zsaber0
2016-07-26, 03:00 PM
One more level in targetteer fighter nets you either a feat or another targetteer ability

weckar
2016-07-27, 05:02 AM
In my current group we have a (admittedly gestalt) Swift Hunter who is going into Bloodstorm Blade and Master Thrower for all the flexibility she could ever want. Consider: "Sure, you can trip someone with a thrown greatsword...". It doesn't require going that deep to get to the sweetmeat of these classes either.

Trogdorfubar
2016-08-02, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I have pointed out the error I made with swift hunter to my DM and now am taking 2 more levels of scout to fix it. I'm also looking at one level of Immediate Magic AFC Conjuration Wizard and a dip in Cleric of some sort. So thanks again.