PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Spoilers from Comic-Con

The Glyphstone
2016-07-25, 12:39 AM
So, apparently the Marvel panel at Comic-Con today had the director of GotG and its sequel finally spill the beans on the identity of Movie-Starlord's father (played by Kurt Russell).

And it is

Ego The Living Planet?

...What? I mean it's about as divergent from Jason of Spartax as you can get, so Gunn didn't lie when he said he wasn't following Starlord's comics origins. But still, that's a choice out of left field.

Kitten Champion
2016-07-25, 01:32 AM
I approve.

I mean, if GotG took itself seriously this would be silly, but as it stands I'm just anticipating the reaction from the cast. Plus Kurt Russell.

Eldan
2016-07-25, 04:35 AM
Was he serious? Because that sounds like the kind of crackpot theory one throws out as a joke.

Hopeless
2016-07-25, 05:13 AM
I assumed Starlord was the son of Eros, sorry Thanos's cousin making Thanos, Peter's uncle but going with what they did its not as if Peter doesn't already have a big head now he learns his father is Ego the Living Planet as played by Kurt Russell!!!

Have they posted picks of "Her" yet?

Seriously interested in finding out if Gunn even considered introducing Warlock or "Him" maybe he'll be the Magus in the next sequel oh right Infinity War's due out before then right?!:smalleek:

The Glyphstone
2016-07-25, 10:09 AM
Was he serious? Because that sounds like the kind of crackpot theory one throws out as a joke.

He's serious, unless they went to the level of filming false movie footage just to screw with the audience. It was raw footage without the finishing touches and CGI to make it look good, but they showed it to the audience on stage, and it was a scene where Russel identifies himself as an avatar of Ego and that he fathered a son with a human woman.

t209
2016-07-25, 10:39 AM
Well, I thought that he was Star Fox, Spiderman, or someone with Alien STD that act like cancer but did not harm the child.
Why is it that Marvel half aliens have to be raised without alien parent and ended up as an orphan or single parent? Even Marvel can't decide whether to make Sam's dad as alien or not and going for more mysteries. I mean can't they at least have hero with stable-ish home life and an alien who decides to stay with their mate.

Legato Endless
2016-07-25, 12:12 PM
...What? I mean it's about as divergent from Jason of Spartax as you can get, so Gunn didn't lie when he said he wasn't following Starlord's comics origins. But still, that's a choice out of left field.

It's really not that odd a choice though. GotG is a chance to showcase the cosmic aspects of the Marvel Universe, especially the goofier aspects. Peter's father was set up as a powerful celestial being, and in a space opera you want everything to be as visually interesting as possible.

So we need a celestial entity for Peter's heritage.

One which should fit into a setting where people live inside giant deceased alien heads.

If possible, it should be a known Marvel character of some sort for the fans, and while Ego is rather obscure in pop culture, he's one of Marvel's best known characters in this milieu.

The only reason he wasn't on fan's shortlists was the thought process was too tied to it being a character who spends most of his time as a humanoid. And he fits the Marvel trend of combining more obscure lore elements with more famous ones. All in all, this is a pretty sensible decision.

Rogar Demonblud
2016-07-25, 01:00 PM
Interesting. So, if the rumor is true that they're tying Mantis to Ego, then she kind of becomes Peter's sister?

Looks like the MCU is starting to work on replicating the insanity of the Maximoff family tree.:smalltongue:

t209
2016-07-25, 01:32 PM
Interesting. So, if the rumor is true that they're tying Mantis to Ego, then she kind of becomes Peter's sister?

Looks like the MCU is starting to work on replicating the insanity of the Maximoff family tree.:smalltongue:
And she might get married to a space tree.