PDA

View Full Version : Champion++ Archetype

thzfunnymzn
2016-07-25, 01:27 PM
Attempting a light-handed, flavorful improvement to the Champion Archetype. Total newbie to this though. Shamelessly stealing ideas from Kyrx, Sindeloke, and AgentPaper.

Fighter, General
Second Wind: Scales to 2d20 at lvl.11. Optional: Also add Con modifier to the healing.
Indomitable: When used, changes the saving throw to a Constitution saving throw. Recover uses on short or long rest.
Optional: Pick 3 skills upon creating a Fighter, one of which must be Athletics or Acrobatics. The chosen of Athletics of Acrobatics becomes Expertise at level ??
Optional: Gain proficiency in one tool from: Choice of fletcher's kit, leatherworker's tools, blacksmith's tools, woodcarver's tools, or siege weapons.

Champion
Level 3: Improved Critical, Second Wind (2)
Level 7: Remarkable Athlete
Level 10: Fighting Style (2), Action Surge (2)
Level 15: Superior Critical, Survivor
Level 18: Legendary Champion

Improved Critical: No change
Superior Critical: No change
Survivor: No change
Fighting Style (2): No change.
Second Wind (2): Gain a second use of Second Wind.
Remarkable Athlete: Applies half proficiency rounded down to Str, Dex, Con skills, but also applies if all ready proficient.
Action Surge (2): Second use of Action Surge. Fighter's General Action Surge (2) at level 17 becomes Action Surge (3).
Legendary Champion: Stat cap of Str, Dex, & Con increases to 22. +2 to each stat of Str, Dex, & Con.

JNAProductions
2016-07-25, 02:17 PM
You do realize that this just makes big number bigger?

I totally understand people's gripes with the Champion-it's a very simple class. However, it's mechanically sound. This is blatantly overpowered.

thzfunnymzn
2016-07-26, 12:06 PM
Hmm...I can believe I went way too far. My issue with Champion isn't its simplicity; I like simplicity. But I have a hard time accepting that a going from 1/20 critical to 2/20 critical as the main selling point for most of the career's archetype properly fulfills the role of "simple, but effective."

JNAProductions
2016-07-26, 12:44 PM
Hmm...I can believe I went way too far. My issue with Champion isn't its simplicity; I like simplicity. But I have a hard time accepting that a going from 1/20 critical to 2/20 critical as the main selling point for most of the career's archetype properly fulfills the role of "simple, but effective."

Crunch the numbers-other people have, and it's sound.

Zman
2016-07-26, 07:56 PM
Yeah, this just scales up the Champion's buffs, but does nothing to really give the class an active ability. Also, using the Archtype to rearrange core class features feels clunky.

Champion is mechanically a bit dry, but not terribly underpowered. Yeah, Improved Crit doesn't match up to the power of Superiority Dice, nor the versatility of spells. But, 7th level brings half Prof rounded up to Initiative which is nice. 10th basically brings +1 AC with the second Fighting Style. The bump with improved critical at 15 means the Champion is critting often, one in four attacks with advantage. At 18th, you rock. Fast healing up to half HP is pretty outstanding. So, while the Battlemaster is learning redundant maneuvers, maybe gaining a superiority dice, or growing their dice, the Champion is boosting initiative, picking up a second fighting style, tripling their Crit chance, and getting fast healing.

Basically the Champion is front loaded compared to Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight is a very different animal indeed. Battlemaster gains better abilities as it goes, while the Battlemaster's just get better. Also, if you are using the recommended amounts of encounters per day, the Chanpions passive buffs will shine more.

Honestly, if anything is needed it's a single ability or buff at 3rd level.