PDA

View Full Version : Elder Brain

JNAProductions
2016-07-25, 02:40 PM
So my players recently ran into an Illithid city. They lost one person, but managed to escape with some trickery, and returned to their home city.

Part of the Illithid city is that there was an Elder Brain in the center. Any idea what kind of abilities I should assign to it?

Mr Adventurer
2016-07-25, 02:51 PM
Pretty much just all the powers of a mind flayer, adjusted for CR, and casting as a 20th level Enchanter...

Segev
2016-07-25, 03:03 PM
I would give it 3.5e's 5-mile radius telepathy power, and augment it with a power that lets it "see" sentient creatures in that radius (basically a feat from 3.5, as well). Maybe that's a Lair effect.

It should have the Mind Flayer's Mind Blast power, increased appropriately in DC, and maybe transformed into a sphere centered on it (to which it is immune, of course).

Give it Legendary powers, including at least 3/day auto-making Wis and Int saves (if not any/all saves). Dominate Monster and Charm Monster should be powers it can use several times per day, if not at will. It should probably be able to use geas at least 1/day, too.

Imdeadagain
2016-07-25, 03:21 PM
Just saw the thread title and though it might be a tips and tricks guide for us ageing players/DM's to help us remember all these new fangled rules..

Silly me....

Segev
2016-07-25, 03:43 PM
Just saw the thread title and though it might be a tips and tricks guide for us ageing players/DM's to help us remember all these new fangled rules..

Silly me....

Oh, but it is. Just let me suggest visiting an illithid enclave and asking them to augment your brainpower with the elder brain's.

Imdeadagain
2016-07-25, 04:49 PM
Oh, but it is. Just let me suggest visiting an illithid enclave and asking them to augment your brainpower with the elder brain's.

If they can make me remember to put my shirt on the right way round, I'M IN!!!

Segev
2016-07-25, 04:56 PM
If they can make me remember to put my shirt on the right way round, I'M IN!!!

I can assure you that this course of action will ensure that you never face that particular problem again.

Just tell 'em Segev sent ya. I have a... kickback deal with them.

Imdeadagain
2016-07-25, 06:48 PM
I can assure you that this course of action will ensure that you never face that particular problem again.

Just tell 'em Segev sent ya. I have a... kickback deal with them.

Cool, will do.....

uraniumrooster
2016-07-25, 08:01 PM
This is a pretty good Elder Brain (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Elder_Brain_(5e_Creature)). Not sure what CR you're going for, but it's a decent starting point.