PDA

View Full Version : I begint o suspect...

benthehater
2007-07-03, 07:59 PM
... that no one from Erfworld bleeds.

Which is a great kind of shocking and disturbingly horrific sanitization of violence if it is true.

LordVader
2007-07-03, 08:13 PM
Dude, it's like an E strategy game, from what we've seen so far. Have you been paying attention to some of the units Ansom fields? Do you honestly expect there to be blood?

Freerefill
2007-07-03, 08:27 PM
We've seen bone, stuffing, marshmallow, bloody scratches (Page 38), holes through the torso, nommed Marbits.. there's been quite a bit of violence. Though any good storyteller will tell you that you don't need gore to make someone piss their pants. Heck, the most frightening things you'll see are that which contains absolutely nothing at all. We might see the occasional bloody injury to indicate some dramatic encounter, but I doubt we're gonna see anything horrendous. Really, we don't need to.

And if there's the slightest possibility that this message reaches Rich Burlew, I remember reading somewhere that he always puts some sort of joke at the end of each page, to keep the readers interest. If this message reaches him, I'd like to say that anyone who's interested in Order of the Stick because of the one-liners at the end is a waste of good oxygen. The comic, and this one too, is genius of an ungodly sort and NOT because of the jokes. It's because of brilliant and engaging writing. It's because it makes me want to re-read it from the start over and over again, because it's hard to believe the journey was so short for a destination so thrilling. If what I read was wrong and Rich isn't forcing those one-liners to please his fans, then pretend I've typed nothing. If I'm right, let it be known that at least one of his fans sat with his jaw hanging when Roy died, and no one-liner could have torn him away. Erfworld is more of the same. It's brilliant. It's genius. It's real and comes from the heart of people who dream.

Let Heaven help the greedy fan who demands cheap laughs and forced entertainment. I will gouge out his eyes, for he isn't using them, and feast on his brain, for he's not using that either.

Sage in the Playground
2007-07-03, 08:35 PM
We've seen bone, stuffing, marshmallow, bloody scratches (Page 38), holes through the torso, nommed Marbits.. there's been quite a bit of violence. Though any good storyteller will tell you that you don't need gore to make someone piss their pants. Heck, the most frightening things you'll see are that which contains absolutely nothing at all. We might see the occasional bloody injury to indicate some dramatic encounter, but I doubt we're gonna see anything horrendous. Really, we don't need to.

And if there's the slightest possibility that this message reaches Rich Burlew, I remember reading somewhere that he always puts some sort of joke at the end of each page, to keep the readers interest. If this message reaches him, I'd like to say that anyone who's interested in Order of the Stick because of the one-liners at the end is a waste of good oxygen. The comic, and this one too, is genius of an ungodly sort and NOT because of the jokes. It's because of brilliant and engaging writing. It's because it makes me want to re-read it from the start over and over again, because it's hard to believe the journey was so short for a destination so thrilling. If what I read was wrong and Rich isn't forcing those one-liners to please his fans, then pretend I've typed nothing. If I'm right, let it be known that at least one of his fans sat with his jaw hanging when Roy died, and no one-liner could have torn him away. Erfworld is more of the same. It's brilliant. It's genius. It's real and comes from the heart of people who dream.

Let Heaven help the greedy fan who demands cheap laughs and forced entertainment. I will gouge out his eyes, for he isn't using them, and feast on his brain, for he's not using that either.

You sir, are awesome.

DCR
2007-07-03, 09:31 PM
Eh, I'm in it for the jokes. Try and take my oxygen and I'll beat you with the tank it comes in.

That being said, if boop, boop, boop and boop are all 'boop'ed, then blood is probably gonna be booped too.

CNagy
2007-07-04, 06:07 AM
I love it when there are right and wrong reasons to enjoy something. There are a myriad reasons that I enjoy Order of the Stick and Erfworld, but let's not have the haughtiness to proclaim the One True Way (tm) to appreciate a humorous story while insulting those who do not subscribe to the One True Way (tm) as being philistines.

Zictor
2007-07-04, 06:59 AM
I love it when there are right and wrong reasons to enjoy something. There are a myriad reasons that I enjoy Order of the Stick and Erfworld, but let's not have the haughtiness to proclaim the One True Way (tm) to appreciate a humorous story while insulting those who do not subscribe to the One True Way (tm) as being philistines.

Yeah, why bother? I'm in for the whole, but I do have to admit that the last joke was great in Order of th Stick. And I love when they exist.