PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Adventures suitable for a Dragon PC?

Durzan
2016-07-25, 06:29 PM
Okay, so I managed to convince my little sister to play D&D 3.5 with me. The plan is that we'd do a session or two with just the two of us. I'd be DM & she'd be controlling a party of two characters while she's learning the ropes.

Here are the catches:

1. Were playing with a hybrid system of Wheel of Time/D&D 3.5. I know this homebrew system backwards and forwards. Game is set roughly 1000 years into the 4th Age, after the Last Battle against the Dark One.

2. My sister loves dragons so much that I was only able to convince her to play by allowing her to play as a dragon. I agreed to this boon, but with the following conditions: One, she has a humanoid character that can serve as a companion to her dragon... hence why this is a party of two, and not a single character game (D&D encourages tactical thinking and teamwork between characters, so this allows her to get a taste of that without having to deal with other players). Two, her dragon starts out as a Wyrmling.

3. Not worried too much about game balance. As part of that, I pretty much ignore Level Adjustment when it comes to required XP to level up... Its a serious pain in my butt. Its still handy for judging how powerful a character is though. I will bend rules or outright ignore them if it will make the game move faster or more fun for the group overall. Story and a good time trumps crunch, balance, and game mechanics in my book... especially with this game in particular.

4. So far, I've basically done most of the work in building her characters... apart from a few questions here and there about what she wants to play, how she wants to play, etc. Most of the time she responded with "I dunno"... yeah sis, thats helpful. To make matters worse... why does building a 1st level wyrmling dragon have to be so ***ing hard & complicated... Hasn't WotC ever heard of the rule: "KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID"?

5. Our games will likely be played via Skype, as we are in different countries at the moment. There is a small chance that I manage to convince her to use Roll20, but I rather doubt that she would consider that.

With that being said, the characters are a 1st level female Gold Dragon Woodsman (Ranger equivalent) nicknamed Eile, and a 1st level male Half-Elf Wilder (effectively a Sorcerer Equivalent) named Tori, who must summon up the emotion of fear in order to cast spells.

..And thats the issue. Both characters are first level (Technically the dragon has an ECL of 9 or 14, depending on how you look at it)... with no background developed by either of us for them, and I am at a loss for what to do story or adventure wise.

My initial thought was to have the first adventure be Tori finding Eile's egg and hatching her, before moving on to whatever else I can think up.

Either way, I need ideas, and people to bounce ideas off of, and pronto. The original idea I had could use some serious refining, and I need a direction to move the story once Eile hatches.

Durzan
2016-07-25, 08:50 PM
Could a mod move this thread to the 3.5 sub-forum? After considering it, I think it might be more appropriate to place this thread there instead of here.

Also. Hello?

Durzan
2016-07-26, 12:21 PM
seriously, can anybody kick a few suggestions around? I'm kinda at a loss...

Green Elf
2016-07-26, 04:59 PM
I've ran into a situation like this before. I say the egg is good but one Idea. Maybe because of the love of dragons have the other dragons all turning evil. Have her find out that the king is actually a necromancer doing this but no one else believes her. Good luck!

Durzan
2016-07-26, 06:42 PM
I've ran into a situation like this before. I say the egg is good but one Idea. Maybe because of the love of dragons have the other dragons all turning evil. Have her find out that the king is actually a necromancer doing this but no one else believes her. Good luck!

I think I am getting what you are suggesting... but some clarifications cation would be nice. what do you mean by "the love of other dragons?"

Durzan
2016-07-27, 06:42 PM
anyone else got any thoughts?

goto124
2016-07-28, 02:41 AM
Steal the princess from the castle, then guard her from adventurers trying to take her back.

thedanster7000
2016-07-28, 02:46 PM
Steal the plot from Eragon (not the film, please no).

comk59
2016-07-28, 02:58 PM
Dragons are pretty territorial. Maybe have another one challenge her for ownership of whatever town she's staying in?

DRD1812
2016-07-29, 04:30 PM
Drop the $6 on this one:

paizo.com/products/btpy98db?In-the-Company-of-Dragons

There's a neat original setting in there, and it's close enough to compatible with 3.5 to be directly adapted. It also makes balancing dragons against normal PCs a lot easier.

Honest Tiefling
2016-07-29, 09:15 PM
So you need an introductionary plot, suited for a dragon that is open ended. Here's a few suggestions:

1). Someone is trying to steal Elie, perhaps some sort of evil dragon cult? Perhaps you could steal a page from Dragonlance where they are trying to turn her into an evil equivilant dragon. (I'd make it equal power, just in case something goes wrong). If your sister immediately leaps to this, you...Should perhaps consider an evil campaign. It'll tell you something!

2) The evil dragon cult could also be stealing Elie because they need a good aligned dragon to get past a magical seal. This means they'll probably hide their intentions. This could be kept simple as a old woman druid approaches them asking them for help. She's in charge of the local swamp, you see (it's ecologially important!), but needs a certain artifact to heal a magical plague. The old woman could be a black dragon, of course.

3) A monster hunter is tracking the two down, intent on making the dragon into a stylish leather good.

4) The forest is on fire! This one doesn't even need to be expanded upon, lightning or a careless camper could have started it. But it could serve as an action packed beginning with a few skill roll checks without too many NPCs.

5) A wandering bard is attacked by bandits! If the bard is saved (or she loots the dead body), he reveals that he has a treasure map pointing to some nearby ruins with massive amounts of loot. Loot always seems to work on players, new and old alike. If she sides with the bandits, they try to get her to work for them, and you can have bandity adventures! Or whatever is in that ruins comes out...

6) And of course, the oldest trick in the book: Someone steals something from them. Maybe a fey wanted to brag about stealing from a dragon. Maybe someone assumed that all of her stuff would be magical as she's a dragon. Maybe it was an artifact with an unknown importance.