PDA

View Full Version : The Arcanist

JellyPooga
2016-07-25, 07:16 PM
So I'm contemplating a build focused on the Arcane, from spells to magic items and locations.

A learned character who studies magic in all its forms, but also one capable out in the wilds searching for lost tomes and such; an Indiana Jones focused on magical study instead of historical relics. I'm leaning towards Lore Bard;

Expertise in Arcana is a given, but I'm struggling what other skill(s) to focus as well. Perception, Stealth and Survival all have a good case, but I'd like this character to stand out some as a scholar, so History, Nature and Religion are all options too.

I'm also wondering what Race; Half Elf would be a good choice for the extra Charisma and Skills, but I can also see an argument for High Elf (bonus Cantrip) and Rock Gnome for Artificers' Lore, despite the unfavourable Ability Score boons. Tiefling or Lightfoot Halfling are also options given their Charisma bumps, but I think a Dragonborn scholarly type could be an interesting character of this type, what with the draconic take and all.

Then there's the matter of spells. I'll have a total of 8 non-Bard spells gained in pairs of max 3rd,5th,7th and 9th level. What spells, including off-list choices, would be best for a Bard of this type? Some are a given;

Cantrips: Mage Hand, Light, Minor Illusion and Prestidigitation
1st: Detect Magic, Identify
2nd: ???
3rd: Dispel Magic, Countermagic
4th: Arcane Eye, Locate Creature
5th: Legend Lore, Scrying, Contact Other Plane
6th: True Seeing
7th: Plane Shift, Teleport
8th: ???
9th: Foresight, Gate

Thanks for any suggestions you might have for this build. Please ask if you've a question.

MrFahrenheit
2016-07-25, 08:21 PM
Throw in three levels of rogue, going arcane trickster for one extra proficiency and two more expertise.

Heck, start with the rogue levels for an additional skill on top of that. Your Mage hand can be the damage absorber now, while you still progress to level 18 caster by CL 20.

Half elf is good, or vhuman with the skilled feat. You'll be slightly MAD, but the expertises can make up for that as you see fit.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-25, 08:37 PM
I'll throw in my hat for Ritual Caster (Wizard). Actually learn spells from said dusty old tomes/tombs!

JumboWheat01
2016-07-25, 08:43 PM
I'd throw in some Knowledge Cleric, since it allows you to get expertise in two knowledge skills of your choice. Plus you did say you wanted to study magic of all types, and Divine Magic is as much magic as Arcane is.

Knowledge Cleric actually has a lot of sweet things for one doing various magical searching, such as becoming proficient in any skill they need for a short while, mind reading or even taking a peak at the past.

JellyPooga
2016-07-26, 07:47 AM
I considered multiclassing; most of my builds do, but for this one I really didn't want to fall behind the curve by hobbling my highest level magic. Magical Secrets lets me pick up some Divine spells, to represent his research into it and whilst Knowledge Cleric offers some neat abilities, it's nothing I can't pick up through regular Bardic magic/abilities. Not without a serious investment anyway. The Wisdom required makes him a little MAD; this build is certainly not dumping Intelligence (even though he won't be using it much outside of skill checks).

As for Rogue multiclassing, I should have, between Lore College and JoaT, more than enough skill proficiencies; doubly so if I go Half Elf, so that's not really an issue. The hit to casting really impinges on the concept I think and again, Rogue offers little this build wants that Bard doesn't already.

Good shout on Ritual Caster (Wizard). I'll likely pick that up as my first ASI. What other Feats might suit? Keen Mind seems appropriate, as does (perhaps) Linguist. Lucky and Dungeon Delver both suit the adventurous side of the character, but picking up Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper or War Caster would suit the "magical researcher" concept better. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. It's all useful.

JumboWheat01
2016-07-26, 07:55 AM
Observant might be handy. A +5 to your passive Perception and Investigation (though how you can passively investigate remains a mystery to me.) This will let you spot all sorts of things, from interesting magical goodies to traps in the way of magical goodies.

After all, all that thirst for magical knowledge won't do you a lick of good if you get squished under a giant rock or fall into a snake pit.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-26, 07:58 AM
As for Rogue multiclassing, I should have, between Lore College and JoaT, more than enough skill proficiencies; doubly so if I go Half Elf, so that's not really an issue. The hit to casting really impinges on the concept I think and again, Rogue offers little this build wants that Bard doesn't already.
To say nothing of Jack of All Trades; Proficiency is a relatively small bonus added on top of that.

Good shout on Ritual Caster (Wizard). I'll likely pick that up as my first ASI. What other Feats might suit? Keen Mind seems appropriate, as does (perhaps) Linguist. Lucky and Dungeon Delver both suit the adventurous side of the character, but picking up Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper or War Caster would suit the "magical researcher" concept better. Any suggestions?
Spell Sniper and/or War Caster go well with Booming Blade, helping you keep up a solid melee offense, but I don't know how much they really fit. Magic Initiate is flavorful, but seems rather redundant; Lucky is blandly good, Keen Mind and Linguist are generally bland, and Dungeon Delver is only good if your DM includes lots of traps. Given how many ability scores you need, I'd be hesitant to take too many feats (because grumble grumble 5e makes you choose the boring option grumble).

I'd probably go vHuman to start with Ritual Caster if the game is starting anywhere in the low levels. It's unoriginal, but it is just about always the optimal choice. You can get your boosts to Dex and Cha, your extra skill, and a build-critical feat before you've played too many levels-- and I would be sad to see a magical researcher without any way to actually learn magic outside of level-ups. Then maybe take Dungeon Delver at 4 if you run into lots of traps.

Joe the Rat
2016-07-26, 11:48 AM
Races: Vhuman is always an option. Half-elf is built for this (bump Int), Lightfoot is more Indiana Jones than Professor Jones, Sr. Drow Half-elf should let you grab Drow Magic for more light control. Devil's Tongue Scagling does the same for people control.

Multiclass: KC 1 gets you medium armor, 4(ish) 1st level spells (2ish rotating) that you don't have to waste bard slots on, 1st level cleric ritual casting, and all of the fun Knowledge tricks. Arcana Cleric 1 gets you a slightly different wizardy spell pick for domain spells. One level, no lost spell slots.

The basic character concept fits nicely on a BoSTomelock (Eyes of the Runekeeper!) with a splash of Bard, but that is a very different focus.

Spells: Commune might be a good alternate to Contact Other Plane (less insanity... unless that's what you're after).

Feats: Grod's right on: Ritual Caster (Wizard) is absolutely a must. Keen Mind and Observant are good for concept - Observant slightly more so. nonvar Half-Elf, sage background covers most of your Linguist needs until Comprehend Lanugages or Tongues come along. Skulker feeds the Jones concept; Crossbow expert ups your shooting game.

The Whip: Seriously! This is the second-most iconic part of the character. Lots of ways to do this, none of them great. 250 days of downtime seems the best.

Saggo
2016-07-27, 07:00 PM
Expertise in Arcana is a given, but I'm struggling what other skill(s) to focus as well. Perception, Stealth and Survival all have a good case, but I'd like this character to stand out some as a scholar, so History, Nature and Religion are all options too.

Investigation to find the items you're using Arcana on?

Aaron Underhand
2016-07-27, 08:35 PM
I considered multiclassing; most of my builds do, but for this one I really didn't want to fall behind the curve by hobbling my highest level magic. Magical Secrets lets me pick up some Divine spells, to represent his research into it and whilst Knowledge Cleric offers some neat abilities, it's nothing I can't pick up through regular Bardic magic/abilities. Not without a serious investment anyway. The Wisdom required makes him a little MAD; this build is certainly not dumping Intelligence (even though he won't be using it much outside of skill checks).

I would suggest half elf for points buy - start with INT and CHA both 16, Go Bard 1/Wizard 1, then the rest bard. Delays bard goodness by one level, and means that on odd character levels you have slots but no spells - on even levels you have the key items. Now look what you get:

Complete (eventually) 1st level wizard spellbook
Arcane recovery - one extra first level spell a day
4 first level wizard spells prepared - freeing up bard spells known for higher level spells
Ritual casting of all wizard first level ritual spells (Without Preparation) - including find familiar (there are surprisingly few wizard rituals at higher levels you'll miss, and Leomunds Tiny hut is worth a bard known spell)
3 wizard cantrips for at-will damage or general utility
Ability to have a shot at casting any wizard scroll

Thematic spells, I would add

2nd level Detect Thoughts, Locate Object
8th Level Mind Blank, Demiplane

For the Indiana Jones character I would make your first feat ALERT... makes you much more survivable. Between Alert and an Owl familiar you can skimp on WIS and perception. Dungeon Delver and Observant are other possible feats.

As for whip- ask if you can trade longsword proficiency for whip at character design... can't see that being a problem for most DMs

JeffreyGator
2016-07-27, 10:08 PM
you can also get whip from bladesinger 2 but that delays some of your spells even if it might synergize with other bits

level 18 secrets needs to include wish

ravencroft0
2016-07-28, 02:45 PM
JellyPooga: Are you sure you aren't trying to recreate an archivist from "Heroes of Horror"?