PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sentinel of Bharrai question

Birdwood
2016-07-25, 10:49 PM
Hey guys, new guy here, got a question about the SoB class (and any others that may apply to this)

How does the "Improved caster level" part of it work if you managed to enter it through a non-caster class?

Context:
Im a Flavorplayer (as in, opposed to Powerplayer), and Im making a character who is a middle aged werebear, and lives away from civilization (Human Barbarian/Werebear/Elemental Warrior/Sentinel of Bharrai).
Trying to make some interesting choices for him, I found SoB and, since it matches both lore and reqs, I took it.
Thing is, it advances "previous spellcaster class", which I wont have.

So, what I need to know is wether it is a wasted ability (since it advances nothing at all), and, if so, if it would be too much of a stretch to homebrew it into "advances chosen spellcaster class" (adding cleric spell progression, for instance; or something like that)

Also, I am aware thats far from being optimized, BUT thats really not the point of any of my characters; my main is a Human Fighter/Werewolf/Warshaper/Pious Templar (of Malar), who uses the dark powers of the deity to protect those he loves; I could find something more powerful, but I dont care enough about it :smallbiggrin:

Thanks in advance :smallsmile:

Troacctid
2016-07-25, 10:52 PM
It is wasted. But your homebrew idea sounds reasonable.

Birdwood
2016-07-25, 10:57 PM
Damn it, I had thought as much, but I needed to be sure

As for the brewing idea, just link it to whatever spellcaster class I want? Wont it get op?

Troacctid
2016-07-25, 11:05 PM
Well, it's overpowered already, so whatevs.

Rebel7284
2016-07-26, 01:13 AM
Why not just dip a single level of a casting class beforehand as you're making the character from scratch? A single level of cloistered cleric is always good.

dboxcar
2016-07-26, 01:18 PM
I thought the casting had to be arcane. Or is that just the prereq?

AlanBruce
2016-07-26, 03:18 PM
I thought the casting had to be arcane. Or is that just the prereq?

Although I cannot post the requirements here, you can check the class online or in BoED p. 69.

It's a pair of feats and three skills, all tied to a spellcaster in some way, but none of the requirements state you must be a caster.

I suppose the writers assumed that someone would read the prerequisites, look at the class itself, and arrive to the logical conclusion that a caster chassis s needed for it.

Birdwood
2016-08-23, 11:50 PM
Nah, I dislike the idea of dipping here; lorewise, said character wouldnt have become a cleric, and I dislike the idea of sacrificing a level for this
My DM is quite reasonable, so Im better off negotiating the class link

As for the requisites, yes, they are caster bent, but I dont work that way :D
I see potential for awesome, I take it

Thanks for the answers :)