PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A 3.5 - Human Heritage Halflings?

Tr0users
2016-07-26, 05:28 AM
In order to settle an argument that's broken out on another thread... Is there any legal way that a halfling could conceivably gain access to the Human Heritage feat?

Rebel7284
2016-07-26, 05:34 AM
DM fiat or a custom half-halfing race?

What exactly are you trying to do? Changeling racial emulation may be the answer.

Troacctid
2016-07-26, 05:42 AM
You could start out as a different race, take the feat at 1st level, then later reincarnate as a halfling. However, there is no way to do it as a natural-born halfling because halflings are not a human-descended race. Even with reincarnation, you will likely lose access to the feat's benefits once you no longer meet the prerequisite.

Tr0users
2016-07-26, 05:45 AM
DM fiat or a custom half-halfing race?

What exactly are you trying to do? Changeling racial emulation may be the answer.

Here's the thread the argument sprang from. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?493712-3-5-Small-Maddening-Tank-Build-Difficulties

dboxcar
2016-07-26, 01:29 PM
That is a rather long thread...
Could you summarize for us?

OldTrees1
2016-07-26, 03:47 PM
That is a rather long thread...
Could you summarize for us?

The Human Heritage feat (Prerequisite: Half-human race or human-descended race).
I) By RAW, can a halfling character have a human ancestor?
II) By RAW, if a halfling character can have a human ancestor do they qualify for the Human Heritage feat?

eggynack
2016-07-26, 04:32 PM
I think the answer to that second question is a pretty clear no. Human heritage demands not that you be human descended, but that your race be human descended. Even if you can find your way to your great great great grandfather being a human, and even if that leaves you a halfling (which I think it will, based on that thread, as the half-elf example implies that something more tenuously human than a pair of half-elf parents will leave you fully elf), that still makes you a halfling, and a halfling is not a race which is descended from humans.

OldTrees1
2016-07-26, 05:49 PM
I think the answer to that second question is a pretty clear no. Human heritage demands not that you be human descended, but that your race be human descended. Even if you can find your way to your great great great grandfather being a human, and even if that leaves you a halfling (which I think it will, based on that thread, as the half-elf example implies that something more tenuously human than a pair of half-elf parents will leave you fully elf), that still makes you a halfling, and a halfling is not a race which is descended from humans.

That was my argument too. :smallbiggrin:

othaero
2016-07-26, 08:06 PM
Aren't humans really just dire halflings though

ShurikVch
2016-07-26, 08:21 PM
Aren't humans really just dire halflings thoughNo way!
Halfling's ears are pointy.
Thus, they should be closer to Elves (or, maybe, goblinoids)