PDA

View Full Version : TV Mystery Science Theater 3000: Brought it Back

Zigwat
2016-07-26, 10:06 AM
Who here is a MSTie? Right now is an amazing time to be a fan of MST3K. Not only because it's the greatest show ever put on TV, but because it is back via Kickstarter campaign and picked up by Netflix! This show was on the air from Thanksgiving of 1988 until its cancellation in 1999. Ironically it never saw the year 2000. From then on the rights were sat on by one Jim Mallon, who single-handedly attempted to ruin the show by not only kicking out Joel, but also made sure that he got all of the money, giving little compensation to its stars upon the time of its removal from network television.

Then 2016 rolled around, Joel Hodgson, the show's creator, was finally able to procure the rights to the show, and brought it back with the help from the fans. He was able to iron out any animosity between him and his former co-hosts, and has hired a whole new group of actors for its return to the public!

This show has brought me great joy through out the years. Its silly antics and witty riffs at bad movies is something to behold. It has garnered a huge fanbase consisting of not only the broad public, but celebrities such as Mark Hamill, Neil Patrick Harris, Penn Jillette, Jerry Seinfeld, and the list goes on.

From its Television show, to its theatrical movie, and its variety of spinoffs (Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic, etc), this franchise has delighted millions, and thanks to the efforts of everyone involved with its revival, it will continue to delight us!

Oh, and my favorite episode is Werewolf (wharwilf).

digiman619
2016-07-27, 12:12 AM
I, too am happy that it's coming back. I admit, I didn't have the ability to watch it back in the day. In fact, I found out about the show many years later via MSTing 'fics. Once I had the ability, I watch virtually all of them. I am more of a Joel fan than a Mike fan, and if I have to give a favorite episode, I'd say Monster A Go-Go.

DeadpanSal
2016-07-27, 01:30 AM
Backed it and got the T-Shirt (ordered and possibly shipping soon)!

Personal faves: Puma Man, Pod People, and - everyone's favorite - Manos, the uh, hands of fate.

Blackhawk748
2016-07-27, 08:51 PM
Huh, its gonna be on Netflix. I never got to watch the show (on account of me being 7 when it was canceled....) but ive seen clips and it looks hilarious. That and Ned The Dead has been off the air for years so i need to watch crappy movies and listen to crazy commentary.

Zigwat
2016-07-27, 10:43 PM
I was 13 when it was cancelled, and I had been watching it for 4 years before then. My brother and I would tape the episodes on VHS and we watched the absolute crap out of them. His favorite episode was always Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonder (or Merlin's Chop, depending on who you ask). It wasn't until after highschool that I started delving into the earlier episodes. Even when I did, Werewolf was still my favorite episode of all time. I just had more to add to the list.

My favorite character has always been Tom Servo.