PDA

View Full Version : ideas for *immune to everything* character? (no gear/spells just staic abilities)

flamewolf393
2016-07-26, 02:21 PM
All 3.5 and pf content/splats allowed (just no homebrew). Note I dont want magic/spells/activated abilities. I want a guy that just stands there doing nothing and is completely unaffected. Using class/race levels and templates is the main focus.

Ideas so far:
Half-construct or warforged: construct traits
deathless template: undead benefits without undead weakness
Troll blooded: regeneration vs all but fire/acid
half-dragon (Hate the high LA just to get one energy immunity)

hexblade 2: mettle
survivor 1-4: evasion, imp evasion, uncanny dodge, improved uncanny dodge
1 level of various elementals for energy immunities
1 level of something incorporeal maybe?
martial monk for ranged deflection

some way of getting emergency teleport effects, fiendish blood feats maybe?

need to find things that have continuous effects of protection from (things)

Flickerdart
2016-07-26, 02:22 PM
See ye the tales of the Emerald Legion, for mighty were they, and nigh-impossible to harm.

Telonius
2016-07-26, 02:57 PM
See ye the tales of the Emerald Legion, for mighty were they, and nigh-impossible to harm.

Behold them in their glory, if you dare (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?101587-D-amp-D-3-5-The-Emerald-Legion-Mass-Producing-Ikea-Tarrasques).

CharonsHelper
2016-07-26, 03:18 PM
The lowest CR version is probably a half-dragon moss troll. It's regen is only stopped by fire damage, and it's immune to fire damage. (Though amusingly enough, by RAW it's still afraid of fire.)

It can still be killed by death effects, con damage/drain, or dropping it to negative HP and then either suffocating or starving it to death.

The suffocate/starve can be fixed pretty easily with magic gear though.

Anthrowhale
2016-07-26, 04:21 PM
ExFighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265730-The-ExFighter) might interest you as well.

ShurikVch
2016-07-26, 04:40 PM
ExFighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?265730-The-ExFighter) might interest you as well.It used Keeper's Immunities SQ to get multiple Immunities; actually, every single immunity is a different SQ - just like "Spells" SA is not a single special attack

Buddy76
2016-07-26, 04:51 PM
Bone Knight 10 (prc from Five Nations of Eberron) gives you most of the undead immunities and none of the weaknesses. Works very well with Troll Blooded, since you now have both regeneration and immunity to nonlethal damage (and you also become immune to fatigue, so sunlight will no longer be a problem).

Not as unassailable as the Emerald Legion, but might be easier to pull off if the character in question is a PC.

Jack_Simth
2016-07-26, 05:10 PM
There are builds that are straight-up immune to everything (A Warforged Wizard-10/Master Transmorgifist-10 with Reserves of Strength could grab an Ocean Giant as a favored form, PaO into an Ocean Giant for bludgeoning immunity, and use Infinite Variety to snag the Xodar's Invulnerability special quality which grants straight-up immunity to everything except bludgeoning... all of which lasts for the duration of the Polymorph Any Object spell). But you don't want spells (although the Int reduction will get rid of a lot of them).

The referenced Emerald Legion would do it, but the caveat is that several of the templates used have an LA of "-" - not suitable for player use, which appears to be the intent.

If you're OK with 'use once' effects (obtainable from scrolls/powerstones) - the resources specified in the OP allow for something close. Use a scroll to make an Ice Assasin (Frostburn) of an Aleax (Book of Exalted Deeds) of a Psion(Telepath) (Expanded Psionics Handbook - also in the SRD), and order it to use a powerstone of True Mind Switch (also Expanded Psionics Handbook / SRD) to Instantly swap bodies with you.

An Aleax can only be hurt by it's original as an Ex special quality. Ex special qualities stay with the body, and you now have the body, so you inherit that. Has some potential drawbacks (extremely serious ones) depending on DM interpretation, however. It does, however, quite RAW, leave you vulnerable only to one very specific person somewhere in the multiverse, who potentially no longer exists at all.

Probably far too optimized for most tables, though.

Necroticplague
2016-07-26, 05:26 PM
You can use Sculpt Self to give yourself the effects of magic items as permanent, extraordinary abilities. The cost to make prestige races might necessitate a Thought Bottle to afford on a large scale, though (or having a Prestige Race for Thought Bottle being your first one).

Seppo87
2016-07-26, 06:49 PM
Do not forget a dip in Martial Monk for Infinite Deflection.
You never know what they're throwing at you, better be immune to rays.

Your main problem is mind-affecting here I'm afraid. Irresistable Dance defeats you. This is not something mundanes can come up easily, I usually resort to perma mindblank from equip.

Also, you cannot avoid being imprisoned. You need teleportation, and you'd better be able to make it work in an AMF, or an arcane archer will defeat you with Forcecage followed by imbue arrow>AMF

I also do not see Iron Heart Surge in your build. Dependiong on how your DM reads it, it might go from a minimum of "necessary" to a maximum of "LOL"

flamewolf393
2016-07-26, 07:16 PM
Do not forget a dip in Martial Monk for Infinite Deflection.
You never know what they're throwing at you, better be immune to rays.

Your main problem is mind-affecting here I'm afraid. Irresistable Dance defeats you. This is not something mundanes can come up easily, I usually resort to perma mindblank from equip.

Also, you cannot avoid being imprisoned. You need teleportation, and you'd better be able to make it work in an AMF, or an arcane archer will defeat you with Forcecage followed by imbue arrow>AMF

I also do not see Iron Heart Surge in your build. Dependiong on how your DM reads it, it might go from a minimum of "necessary" to a maximum of "LOL"

Give it the deathless template. All the fun of undead resistances, none of the issues with healing or turning. That deals with mind affecting. And at this point im not caring about killing things. im just trying to become immune to things. But yeah, maybe some infernal blood stuff to give a few times per day teleport-ish wouldnt hurt. I dont want IHS, cause the idea is to be immune in the first place. If I have to overcome a condition, then I did it wrong.

ben-zayb
2016-07-27, 05:06 AM
Be a Symbiotic (Protean + whatever) as an ECL 1 character, and snag any Ex immunities 4 at a time, like your own Aleax's Singular Enemy.

weckar
2016-07-27, 05:12 AM
Undead + Troll-blooded takes care of most direct damage; all but acid and fire. [For reference: Regeneration makes all relevant damage non-lethal, undead is immune to non-lethal.]

Picking up the saint template (somehow) also gives a bunch of interesting immunities, including being effectively immune to all spells of 3rd level or lower - meaning that a mage will burn out MUCH faster against you.

khadgar567
2016-07-27, 05:50 AM
armorist symbiot knight with synthesist summoner gestalt will be immune to any damage just take energy immunity for each energy type and fast healing( around level 15 you can get all of them) then get your symbiot turn adamantine oerthblood alloyed suit( 40 hardness before creation sphere powers added)
just house rule symbiote and eidolon are same creature and you are done

Necroticplague
2016-07-27, 05:56 AM
Be a Symbiotic (Protean + whatever) as an ECL 1 character, and snag any Ex immunities 4 at a time, like your own Aleax's Singular Enemy. ECL 2, actually. Symbiotic has +1 LA, so Symbiotic level 1 creature is an ECL 2 character. However, since a Protean is an Abberation, it's not a valid target for Symbiotic template in the first place (symbiotic only works with Plants, Vermin, Humanoids, and Animals).

Undead + Troll-blooded takes care of most direct damage; all but acid and fire. [For reference: Regeneration makes all relevant damage non-lethal, undead is immune to non-lethal.]

Picking up the saint template (somehow) also gives a bunch of interesting immunities, including being effectively immune to all spells of 3rd level or lower - meaning that a mage will burn out MUCH faster against you.

Regeneration doesn't work if you don't have a CON score. Gheden can be used for a similar purpose, though.

Symbiotic does still hold alot of potential in this regard, though, because of how you can use it to get large amounts of special qualities on the cheap (since the template is only 1 LA regarldess of what you're bonded to, and you get all special qualities). Here's a simple build to start with:
Human generic warrior 1/LA1 (Symbiotic, Host)
Feats: Toughness, Troll-Blooded, Tireless.
Guest: half-dragon (red), half-dragon(black), half-troll, gheden, entomanothropic, half-fey, greenbound symbiotic phase wasp.
Among other things this has:immune to nonlethal, regeneration/fire or acid, immune to acid and fire, immune to mind-effecting, immunity to energy drain, immunity to stunning, Tireless's benefit (which is a complicated form of immunity), and constant See Invisible. Obviously not everything that could be thrown your way, but it's not a bad starter package.

weckar
2016-07-27, 06:10 AM
Regeneration doesn't work if you don't have a CON score. Really? I never knew about this. Can you give me a page reference, because the glossary for neither undead nor regeneration seems to mention this...

Nevermind, I should learn to read kicker lines...

Anthrowhale
2016-07-27, 08:34 AM
It used Keeper's Immunities SQ to get multiple Immunities; actually, every single immunity is a different SQ - just like "Spells" SA is not a single special attack

Do you have a reference for this? I'm assuming not by default. As a houserule, I'm not sure this does what you want. How would you rule for Zodar invulnerability for example?

ShurikVch
2016-07-27, 08:47 AM
Do you have a reference for this? I'm assuming not by default. As a houserule, I'm not sure this does what you want.The very word "Immunities" is plural (just like "Spells") - thus a multiple SQs
How would you rule for Zodar invulnerability for example?It's a single ability. However, please, note: both Hagunemnon and Zodar are of 3.0 era, thus prone to DM's adjustments

Wacky89
2016-07-27, 03:18 PM
you can get alot of the immunities from spells.
Energy immunity, sheltered vitality etc.

ben-zayb
2016-07-27, 04:17 PM
ECL 2, actually. Symbiotic has +1 LA, so Symbiotic level 1 creature is an ECL 2 character. However, since a Protean is an Abberation, it's not a valid target for Symbiotic template in the first place (symbiotic only works with Plants, Vermin, Humanoids, and Animals).

Symbiotic does still hold alot of potential in this regard, though, because of how you can use it to get large amounts of special qualities on the cheap (since the template is only 1 LA regarldess of what you're bonded to, and you get all special qualities). Here's a simple build to start with:
Human generic warrior 1/LA1 (Symbiotic, Host)
Feats: Toughness, Troll-Blooded, Tireless.
Guest: half-dragon (red), half-dragon(black), half-troll, gheden, entomanothropic, half-fey, greenbound symbiotic phase wasp.
Among other things this has:immune to nonlethal, regeneration/fire or acid, immune to acid and fire, immune to mind-effecting, immunity to energy drain, immunity to stunning, Tireless's benefit (which is a complicated form of immunity), and constant See Invisible. Obviously not everything that could be thrown your way, but it's not a bad starter package.

Nah. A Protean Alter Shapes into a whatever X / Fang of Lolth 10 to get the vermin capstone. If that RAW is too much, then template stack the protean to get the right type..

Anthrowhale
2016-07-27, 08:26 PM
The very word "Immunities" is plural (just like "Spells") - thus a multiple SQs It's a single ability.

This is an argument that seems like it's sure to fall apart on inspection. How many SAs do you think are hidden by "Spells" for a planetar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelPlanetar)? And why is your answer something that everyone will agree to?

However, please, note: both Hagunemnon and Zodar are of 3.0 era, thus prone to DM's adjustments

This doesn't seem like an effective argument either as there are official 3.5 updates for these monsters here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fdnd%2F20030718a) which don't interfere.

I think you are presenting a houserule that avoids certain abuses but is not a real solution given the Zodar approach.

ShurikVch
2016-07-28, 07:01 AM
This is an argument that seems like it's sure to fall apart on inspection.O RLY? http://orig14.deviantart.net/6d87/f/2006/339/7/5/o_rly__owl_emoticon_by_jaredm.gif
OK, go ahead!

How many SAs do you think are hidden by "Spells" for a planetar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/angel.htm#angelPlanetar)?As many as a number of spells in Cleric list (+ 2 domains)
Also, Planetar have "Spell-like abilities" in Special Attacks; it's not a single Special Attack too

And why is your answer something that everyone will agree to?What's you mean?

This doesn't seem like an effective argument either as there are official 3.5 updates for these monsters here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd%2Fdnd%2F20030718a) which don't interfere.Epic Level Handbook 3.5 update booklet don't even have Hagunemnon (Protean) entry, despite it's Shapechanger type and DR 25/+6

But the real joke is 3.5 update booklet for Fiend Folio!
Only 5 pages (for 223 page book!), and 3 of those is not an info about monsters?
Seriously?!
It's almost as bad as infamous errata for Tome of Battle
And Zodar don't even mentioned in it

And you know what?
Invulnerability isn't that much of a problem
Smart DM always can challenge you with something you're not protected from

Anthrowhale
2016-07-28, 08:52 PM
As many as a number of spells in Cleric list (+ 2 domains)

That's certainly not my understanding. Do you have a rules quote supporting that? Mine is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm): it lists "Spells" under "Ability Descriptions". There is no indication that this is actually an enormous number of nonindependent special abilities.

What's you mean?
Epic Level Handbook 3.5 update booklet don't even have Hagunemnon (Protean) entry, despite it's Shapechanger type and DR 25/+6

It does actually: on page 11. They are DR 10/epic in 3.5.

And you know what?
Invulnerability isn't that much of a problem
Smart DM always can challenge you with something you're not protected from

Maybe so.

ShurikVch
2016-07-29, 07:24 PM
That's certainly not my understanding. Do you have a rules quote supporting that? Mine is here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm): it lists "Spells" under "Ability Descriptions". There is no indication that this is actually an enormous number of nonindependent special abilities.there are some feats:
Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility)
Empower Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#empowerSpellLikeAbility)
Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus)
All of them have Special text, which allow to take them multiple times for different abilitie; such thing will be rather pointless, if they just affect all abilities at once

For example: Balor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#balor) have Quicken Spell-Like Ability (telekinesis); but Balor don't have "Telekinesis (sp)" - he have "Spell-Like Abilities", one of which is telekinesis; if we use your logic, then we shouldl presume all of Balor's SLAs are Quickened

Many of novice wannabe munchkins asked:
- If "Spells" is a Special Attack, then can I take Ability Focus with it?
And got an answer:
- Yes, you can; select the spell.
- But!.. but!.. but!.. it's a single Special Attack! Ability Focus should be applied to all spells!
- No way it's a single SA; don't you see - the very name is a plural

It does actually: on page 11. They are DR 10/epic in 3.5. No.
Hagunemnon (Protean) absent from page 11, just like from any other page of the booklet
Re-check it: on "H" there are only Ha-Naga, Hagnumemnon, Hoary Hunter, Hoary Steed, and Hunefer
"Hagnumemnon" is not "Hagunemnon (Protean)" - unless you think it's type was updated to Fey (Cold)

Anthrowhale
2016-07-29, 11:25 PM
there are some feats:
Quicken Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#quickenSpellLikeAbility)
Empower Spell-Like Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#empowerSpellLikeAbility)

These two clearly support the idea that SLAs are individualized. This is consistent with either interpretation since it could be referencing a general rule or a specific exception to a general rule.

Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus)

This one does not support the idea that SLAs are individualized. There are many monsters with multiple special abilities consistent with taking Ability Focus twice.

Do you have any RAW argument against Ability Focus[Spells]? From a balance standpoint, it's a reasonable use of a left-over feat slot while Ability Focus[some chosen spell] is almost always not.

Can you find any RAW text supporting your interpretation of "Spells"?

Hagunemnon (Protean) absent from page 11, just like from any other page of the booklet
Re-check it: on "H" there are only Ha-Naga, Hagnumemnon, Hoary Hunter, Hoary Steed, and Hunefer
"Hagnumemnon" is not "Hagunemnon (Protean)" - unless you think it's type was updated to Fey (Cold)

The d20srd.org Hagunemnon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/hagunemnon.htm) has the 3.5 version. They are averse to controversy, so I'm surprised to see a spelling mistake and column shift causing issues here.

Ninja PieKing
2016-07-30, 02:06 AM
Awakened Lernaean Zodar: Only killable by decapitation with a bludgeoning weapon.:smallbiggrin:

Necroticplague
2016-07-30, 06:33 AM
Awakened Lernaean Zodar: Only killable by decapitation with a bludgeoning weapon.:smallbiggrin:

Finally, some good use for the Executioner's Mace.