PDA

View Full Version : Aid another and animals

Warrnan
2016-07-26, 02:47 PM
If an summoned animal has a low chance to hit a given monster, could they aid another. Would they think of this strategy?

I'm mainly thinking this because some summons are just a sack of hp and can't really do damage. This could make mobs of summons useful.

Wizard getting attacked? Summon 1d4+1 Wolves to aid another his AC.

Melee heroes missing a tough enemy? 1d4+1 wolves to aid hit.

Since it stacks it seems like a nice strategy but might only work with creatures that have a language?

Flickerdart
2016-07-26, 02:51 PM
What is Aid Another?

In melee combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with an opponent.

I don't see why an animal can't interfere or distract in combat.

Segev
2016-07-26, 02:53 PM
It should work with any creatures you magically control, honestly. It's a good use for low-level summons. Are the foes going to waste attacks on something that's giving your allies +2 to hit, or are they going to attack your allies? It makes the animals more of a legitimate threat than if they're failing to hit the enemies' AC.

But yes, it should work. You magically control them. And it's not like "harry the foe" is all that complicated an instruction. You're just giving an order to be menacing and opportunistic rather than to specifically try (and fail) to go for the jugular.

Warrnan
2016-07-26, 02:57 PM
What is Aid Another?

I don't see why an animal can't interfere or distract in combat.

Good point. I suppose they could determine to do it on their own. I could see pack hunters or herd animals like wolves and elephants do it but perhaps not things like tigers or Eagles.

Thanks!

InvisibleBison
2016-07-26, 02:59 PM
Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally both say

If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

Using aid another falls within the "perform other actions" clause, so if you can communicate with your summons, there's no reason why they can't do so.

Troacctid
2016-07-26, 03:14 PM
Normally, an animal will not do this without training. But if you can speak with animals, or if you push it with a DC 25 Handle Animal check, then you shouldn't need to train it.

Warrnan
2016-07-26, 04:51 PM
Thanks everyone. Makes a lot more sense now. I need to get speak with animals permanancied.