PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Can a character become multiple people at once?

Draculstar
2016-07-26, 04:36 PM
I've never actually seen a way in pathfinder to become multiple people at once. For example, splitting into multiple bodies, and either sharing abilities or splitting them up. The idea is that one of them would do one thing and look one way (maybe transform into a war troll with a gigantic fullblade or something) while the other would do something different (maybe appearing as a human wizard or something. Or better, in this case, to split into a bunch of people with all of their own identities (though they would all still be the same person and know exactly what is going on, like with a single mind or whatever).

Any way this is possible by the books? Because I'm wanting to try this crazy one-shot my friend is setting up with like 14 people (it's going to last an entire week sometime this coming winter break, and it's supposed to be a single huge session), and he is going to actually run a full campaign before and after that one-shot with me and two other friends (starting this September). We're supposed to all be level 15 by the time we start the big one-shot, and we're beginning at level 11.

He specifically wanted me to make a pet-o-mancer, but I took my own twist to the idea. The problem is making it work.

Jack_Simth
2016-07-26, 05:13 PM
I've never actually seen a way in pathfinder to become multiple people at once. For example, splitting into multiple bodies, and either sharing abilities or splitting them up. The idea is that one of them would do one thing and look one way (maybe transform into a war troll with a gigantic fullblade or something) while the other would do something different (maybe appearing as a human wizard or something. Or better, in this case, to split into a bunch of people with all of their own identities (though they would all still be the same person and know exactly what is going on, like with a single mind or whatever).

Any way this is possible by the books? Because I'm wanting to try this crazy one-shot my friend is setting up with like 14 people (it's going to last an entire week sometime this coming winter break, and it's supposed to be a single huge session), and he is going to actually run a full campaign before and after that one-shot with me and two other friends (starting this September). We're supposed to all be level 15 by the time we start the big one-shot, and we're beginning at level 11.

He specifically wanted me to make a pet-o-mancer, but I took my own twist to the idea. The problem is making it work.
Simulacrum + Magic Jar + Blood Money comes close. Make copies of things with useful abilities, and they're all under your command (Magic Jar is so that YOU don't suffer the damage from Blood Money, your sacrificial minions do)

Segev
2016-07-26, 05:22 PM
Is Chain Spell a thing in PF? If so, that plus any metamagic reduction at all would get magic jar low enough level to be cast with it, and it would thus allow you to possess multiple people at once.

Draculstar
2016-07-26, 07:18 PM
:smallbiggrin: You guys made my day!

How does Chain Spell + Magic Jar even work, exactly? Do you possess multiple jars, like Voldemort, or something?

Segev
2016-07-26, 07:51 PM
:smallbiggrin: You guys made my day!

How does Chain Spell + Magic Jar even work, exactly? Do you possess multiple jars, like Voldemort, or something?

The weirdness of its wording makes the people you possess the targets, not the jar, IIRC.

Necroticplague
2016-07-26, 08:11 PM
There's also the Bilocation spell, though that's more being in two places at once, it has some of the same benefits of splitting into multiple people. Can look different with a normal Disguise check. Main limit compared to other things is that both of your yous share a pool of actions.

Draculstar
2016-07-26, 08:18 PM
There's also the Bilocation spell, though that's more being in two places at once, it has some of the same benefits of splitting into multiple people. Can look different with a normal Disguise check. Main limit compared to other things is that both of your yous share a pool of actions.

That is exactly what I'm looking for! :smallbiggrin: YAY!

I think the chain magic jar trick is one I'll keep in my back pocket in case I REALLY need to cover some ground. I love the idea of using the simulacrums for that, though if I can make a simulacrum of myself I might end up just doing that instead (I'll be using an item familiar to avoid too much XP expenditure).

Milo v3
2016-07-27, 01:55 AM
Is Chain Spell a thing in PF? If so, that plus any metamagic reduction at all would get magic jar low enough level to be cast with it, and it would thus allow you to possess multiple people at once.
Things like that are why Chain Spell isn't a thing in PF :smalltongue:

Zaq
2016-07-27, 02:54 AM
If you allow 3.5 material, you might see if Polymorphing into a (pair of) dvati would work? I'm not familiar with how PF Polymorph works or if there's some clause that would prevent that from working even under non-PF rules, and of course dvati lose out on action economy if you want to cast spells, but it might be something.

Incorrect
2016-07-27, 03:28 AM
You play an aasimar summoner. Your medium-biped-good-outsider Eidolon looks just like you.
You summon other good outsiders, that also look just like you. Its all fluff.
Maybe they are You from different planes of existance.

Or describe them as being part of you, but looking different. You control them anyway, so just make up some fluff to fit what you want.

Prime32
2016-07-27, 09:05 AM
Fission (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/f/fission) psionic power.

Draculstar
2016-07-27, 09:28 AM
Fission psionic power.

That'd be great but I would need it for extended periods of time. I remember reading the 3.5 version and thinking the same thing.

You play an aasimar summoner. Your medium-biped-good-outsider Eidolon looks just like you.
You summon other good outsiders, that also look just like you. Its all fluff.
Maybe they are You from different planes of existance.

As for the aasimar summoner, that's not a half-bad idea at all. It's an excellent idea, actually. Especially for an unchained summoner. Thanks for the tip! I love refluffing things anyway, so this is actually now my favorite one of the bunch. :smalltongue:

Segev
2016-07-27, 09:53 AM
Things like that are why Chain Spell isn't a thing in PF :smalltongue:

I don't doubt it!

Though I would still try to get it ported in if I were playing a necromancer; I want chain command undead so badly. :smallcool:

Psyren
2016-07-27, 10:23 AM
I don't doubt it!

Though I would still try to get it ported in if I were playing a necromancer; I want chain command undead so badly. :smallcool:

PF Necromancers can Command Undead the cleric way, so I'd just use that instead.

Segev
2016-07-27, 01:39 PM
PF Necromancers can Command Undead the cleric way, so I'd just use that instead.

Oh, I'd use it, too, but the spell operates quite differently. The clerical power has a HD limit, as does animate dead. When used on mindless undead, command undead also grants absolute control, but each casting controls one target, regardless of the HD. Chain command undead is the way you get a number of high-HD skeletons and zombies, really.

bahamut920
2016-07-30, 03:01 AM
If you're planning on refluffing Summoner, you might want to check out the Master Summoner archetype, which allows one summon monster to be active at the same time as the summoner's eidolon, at the cost of a weaker eidolon. There's also the Dissociatist (third-party) archetype, where your eidolon actually is you (or at least a very Persona-like Shadow Self of all your subconscious desires) and also allows you to have summons out at the same time, but you need to persuade your eidolon to help you outside of combat. It's silly, and reduces the summoner's power a bit, but AFAIK the summoner is decently powerful to begin with, so it's probably fine.

Draculstar
2016-08-03, 04:08 PM
If you're planning on refluffing Summoner, you might want to check out the Master Summoner archetype, which allows one summon monster to be active at the same time as the summoner's eidolon, at the cost of a weaker eidolon. There's also the Dissociatist (third-party) archetype, where your eidolon actually is you (or at least a very Persona-like Shadow Self of all your subconscious desires) and also allows you to have summons out at the same time, but you need to persuade your eidolon to help you outside of combat. It's silly, and reduces the summoner's power a bit, but AFAIK the summoner is decently powerful to begin with, so it's probably fine.

:o Yaasss!

Gruftzwerg
2016-08-04, 09:37 PM
low lvl trick:

Use your familiar (Raven cause he can speak a language^^) and share spell: Either "Disguise Self" or/and "Alter Self". If you start as a small character it gets easier to take an appearance of something of similar size your familiar can change into. Downside is, that your familiar needs always be near you for the duration (if you shared the spell), but you can pull out the trick at lvl 1 (3-4 for Alter Self).

Sure not the strongest combo, but you can still manage some nice early utility (and even some fighting) power.