PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Crafting/Creating Followers - Looking for ideas, and have a few questions

thecrimsondawn
2016-07-26, 08:16 PM
I am in a mythic game so I have every crafting feat thanks to a mythic path ability. That being said, I will soon hit level 9 and have the ability to cast fabricate.

What I would like to do is create a loyal follower that is not a mindless dumb construct or something I need to concentrate on to keep working, however I am noticing my options are rather limited. The first thing I notice is this about A homunculus with more than 2 Hit Dice can be created, but each additional Hit Die adds +2,000 gp to the cost to create.
This sentence is in direct opposition to the rule found in Building and Modifying Constructs Hit Dice represent the overall strength and power of a construct. They affect a number of subsequent abilities, including hit points, saving throws, and base attacks. Determine the effects of a Hit Dice modification using the rules for adding creature Hit Dice on pages 290–291 of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary. Because a construct’s size is limited, a Hit Dice modification cannot increase its size. Therefore Hit Dice modification can never increase the base construct’s Hit Dice beyond 50% of its total HD. Some constructs have a defined cost for increasing Hit Dice. To calculate the cost per Hit Die of other constructs, divide the construct’s construction cost by its existing Hit Dice.

In normal cases, the entry of the creature itself would override the rulings of a whole, but this would also allow me to make a lv20 Homunculus for a relatively cheap price. However it would be stuck as a tiny creature.

That option aside, is there any way to make a normal sized follower other then animate object? Since my guy tries his best to not fight at all, I would like something combat able.

Suggestions?

Edit: A couple of edits

1: Is there any way to add class levels at all to a created follower, or is that reserved for leadership only?
2: Is there a limit to how many Homunculus I can have at one time?
3: A homunculus cannot speak, but the process of creating one links it telepathically with its creator. A homunculus knows what its master knows and can convey to him or her everything it sees and hears, out to a distance of 1,500 feet. Would this allow a properly equipped homunculus the ability to craft using my craft skills?

Milo v3
2016-07-26, 09:51 PM
Homuculus has specific rules that override the general construct modification rules.

Also, could get Leadership and then have all your followers be Wyrwood's with the flavour being that you crafted them.

Sayt
2016-07-26, 10:13 PM
I had a theoretical 3.pf wizard who used a big chunk of his WBL at 17th level creating a 34HD Clockwork Dragon, then used the Bioconstruct Modification (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) to give it a con score and feats, and then spent money on giving it fortification, although the dragon can now take feats for that.

At a more reasonable level, IIRC Clockwork Soldiers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/clockwork/clockwork-soldier) have one of the highest to-hits for their CR?

thecrimsondawn
2016-07-27, 08:57 AM
I had a theoretical 3.pf wizard who used a big chunk of his WBL at 17th level creating a 34HD Clockwork Dragon, then used the Bioconstruct Modification (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) to give it a con score and feats, and then spent money on giving it fortification, although the dragon can now take feats for that.

At a more reasonable level, IIRC Clockwork Soldiers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/clockwork/clockwork-soldier) have one of the highest to-hits for their CR?

Ohh! Thanks, this is the sort of stuff I am looking for. Sadly the price is about the same as a lv20 homunculus that is far better (save the downside when it dies and that it cant go more then 1500 feet away). I will need guards for my plane that I am making and as a crafter, this really fits the bill.

I found the rules on class levels and its a DM only thing as I expected, so that is a no go, but there is nothing stopping me from making higher level constructs :3

Are there any other things like this that are not on the building and modifying construct chart?