PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rider and Mount. Concept input.

Metahuman1
2016-07-26, 10:33 PM
So, I've hit on this idea as a concept recently. 2 Players. 1 plays the somewhat knightly rider, the other plays the mount.

Ideally because monster classes aren't very good, both should be using predominantly PC classes. Apart from that, anyone have any thoughts/ideas for this?

daremetoidareyo
2016-07-26, 11:13 PM
So, I've hit on this idea as a concept recently. 2 Players. 1 plays the somewhat knightly rider, the other plays the mount.

Ideally because monster classes aren't very good, both should be using predominantly PC classes. Apart from that, anyone have any thoughts/ideas for this?

I'm thinking you want a barbarian rider. Use mounted fury feat (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031125a)to give your barbarian bonuses to your "mount." You may want a 2 level fighter dip to get mounted combat and power attack. There are rules in A&EG to use an unusual mount. Mounted combat will allow you to make ride checks to negate hits against your mount.

Lion totem barbarian at fifth level trade uncanny dodge for blazing berserker. Take frost rager in there somewhere too. That way both you and your mount are ice/fire type. Consider bear warrior prestige class to turn you both into fire/ice bears. Now, if you are worried about targetting BOED may be able to help you with righteous wrath, which allows you to distinguish friend from foe.

Now your mount needs to be at least one size larger than you. So they should be a goliath or have a template or be a higher level wildshape druid or something. I'm thinking initiator (crusader or warblade) with travel devotion and a cloistered cleric dip. But gimme a second to check my list of crazy ideas...

Arcane caster 3/barbarian X/rage mage/ + mounted fury feat
riding
Spell thief with master spellthief feat/initiator/jade pheonix mage

This is crazy.

Mounted Fury:
Benefit: As long as you are riding a war-trained mount, your mount gains the same benefits and penalties that you do while you rage. This includes improved rage abilities like greater rage, tireless rage, and mighty rage. The mount's rage ends any time you are no longer mounted or when your rage ends. You must be mounted when you initiate your rage ability for the mount to be affected.

+

Spell Rage
A rage mage can cast spells while in a rage, as long as the spell's casting time is no more than 1 full round. When she casts a spell of the abjuration, conjuration, evocation, necromancy, or transmutation school while in a rage, the rage mage uses her character level as her caster level. This ability only works when the rage mage is in a spell rage.

+

Master Spellthief
Your spellthief levels stack with levels of other arcane spellcaster classes (that is, levels of any class that grants arcane spellcasting other than the spellthief) for the purpose of determining what level of spell you can steal. For example, a 4th-level spellthief/4th-level wizard could steal spells of up to 4th level, as if he were an 8th-level spellthief. Your spellthief and arcane spellcaster levels also stack when determining your caster level for all arcane spells. The character described above would have a caster level of 8th for both his spellthief spells and his wizard spells. In addition, you do not incur a chance of arcane spell failure for arcane spells cast or stolen from other classes, but only if you are wearing light armor.

Do you see it? For the rider: Your arcane caster level is set to your character level when you are in a spell rage. Mounted fury transfers this to the spellthief. Master spell thief lets you STACK your spell thief levels to either your or your rider's character level (DM's call), thus allowing you to steal up to 9ths in a timely fashion without having to stick with spellthief for more than two levels. I'm thinking duskblade 1 (precocious apprentice!) spellthief 2/duskblade 2/warblade or crusader 1/jade pheonix mage X. You get pounce from your rider's totem. You arcane wrath their faces off or channel their own spells back at them with your attacks, or both. Definitely consider 2WF for the mount.

All you have to do then is see how to make rage mage not suck...
Maybe kobold? (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=7267.0) Straight wizard seems like the way to go though. Combat wizard 3 (precocious apprentice brings this down to 1)/lion totem barbarian 1 into rage mage when you get a chance or Maybe druidic avenger 1/wizard 3?

Troacctid
2016-07-26, 11:19 PM
Well obviously the mount is going to be a druid. Seems like the easy choice.

I could also see Divine Minion of Anhur being reasonable.

Rebel7284
2016-07-27, 03:47 AM
If the rider is a halfling/gnome, the mount could be Bariaur. The Planar Handbook version is +1 LA, 0 HD

weckar
2016-07-27, 06:23 AM
We've previously had much success with a Psionic mount. Up the Walls keeps a mount relevant even indoors, and make charging much easier! Of course, you could also consider making the mount a Paladin. By level 5, you'd be eligible for a mountstack :)

BowStreetRunner
2016-07-27, 06:48 AM
Master Blaster (http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Blaster) :smallbiggrin:

Metahuman1
2016-07-28, 01:44 AM
The halting idea is a thought. Any suggestions for good feats/AFC's/Sub Levels/Templates to go with that?

And I'm thinking the mount should ideally be 4 legged if possible.