PDA

View Full Version : How old are archons?

TheYell
2016-07-26, 10:49 PM
So Im preparing to insist/demand/beg for a hound archon cohort and I'm filling out the character sheet and the line that says Age stumps me. The dog is going to be an inquisitor so Im wondering is he a low level because human society is new to him or is it all new to him? i welcome your thoughts.

If you're curious - Im a mythic wererat thanks to a side jaunt and we already got Erastil to intervene to stop his paladin from trying to beat it out of me. I deserve and require a celestial sidekick to help me save humanity and put me down if I fall

AlanBruce
2016-07-26, 11:10 PM
I deserve and require a celestial sidekick

If I had a nickel for every time a player says this in my games...

Archons, like most outsiders, are considered to be immortal. Most are born from petitioners and over time, ascend to a new more powerful form.

This can be seen primarily with the baatezu, but other exemplar races have this as well, each having a different method of advancement and promotion.

You are probably wondering about age to see if the Archon gets the bonuses due to old age as outlined in the Player's Handbook.

Being an Inquisitor would decidedly improve his Wisdom and Charisma scores, making him a very efficient DMM Persist cleric.

Unless your DM is actually keeping tabs of outsiders in some book which I am sure exists and records an archon's age, that answer is up to him.

By default, outsiders are considered "immortal", without a specific age, unlike the oldest mortal races in the Prime, like dragons, who actually have an aging table.

Falcon X
2016-07-27, 10:33 AM
Aright, here is a quote from TSR 2607 "Planes of Law", 2nd edition, on the advancement of archons. It is the monster entry for archons. Note that this is a sourcebook from Planescape, which means that it's merely the most commonly held understanding among the people, but that still holds more credibility than most you will find.
It doesn't answer your question perfectly, but might give insight.

"The petitioners of Mount Celestia, archons have charged themselves with the protection of the plane and all those who are innocent or free of evil within its breathtaking vistas. When a lawful-good mortal dies, his spirit goes to this plane. There his essence is transformed into the body of a lantern archon, the lowest of the celestial hierarchy. However, not all lawful-good spirits change into archons. Some, like dwarves and halflings, become petitioners in the realms of their powers, physically unaltered."
"Although a person can guess an archon's station by appearance, there's an equally simple way to judge it: by which metal accoutrements adorn the archon... the quality of metal shows an archon's virtue within it's station. From lowest to highest, the order is lead, tin, brass, bronze, silver, gold, and platinus. For example, platinum rather than brass accountrements on a warden archon signify its greater obedience to the higher order - it's virtue, if you will - and its greater willingness to serve Law and Good. Once it reaches a still greater stage of goodness, it will be transformed into a sword archon wering lead appointments; it will start the process of advancement all over again in it's new station....
When an archon reaches the next state of goodness, it is not fitted with new metal accountrements; rather, the metal simply transmogrifies into the next state. Because the metal is actually a part of the archon's body and can't be removed, it's unaffected by anything that might change normal metal - including metal altering spells. The purpose of the metal appointments isn't to confine or hinder or even protect, but to remind the archon of its station so that it might strive to its next level.
All archons of a given station are equal, regardless of whether they have lead or gold accountrements. The especially virtuous (those with precious metals) command just as many lower archons as do the new or less virtuous (those with base metals). There is no difference within the station except that a more virtuous member rises to the next rank (or metal) faster. There's also no jealousy among archons, and there's almost never been a recorded instance of one turning stag on its brethren in order to advance. The one archon who did turn stag decided he was better off in Baator, where Baatezu reward a being for manipulation and scheming; rumor has it he's clawed his way up to gelugon status now. No, on Mount Celestia archons are rewarded for good and virtuous behavior, and that means they're content to stay in their forms until they advance. Nevertheless, it's a joyous day when either body or metal changes."

TheYell
2016-07-27, 04:37 PM
Wow thank you for the feedback. Seems archons are older in their various incarnations than the average human and their low class level reflects inexperience with the profession rather than immaturity. Should be a humbling influence on them.

I had not thought of aging stats but perhaps I shouldnt push things too far...