PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Constructing custom classes

Aetis
2016-07-27, 12:27 AM
Hello, playgrounders.

Is there any established methods of creating custom classes for dnd 3.5?

LooseCannoneer
2016-07-27, 12:42 AM
There isn't any "correct" method for homebrewing classes that I know of, but there's a large homebrewing section of this forum that does a better job of it than I could. That is to say, they know how to do it.

ekarney
2016-07-27, 01:03 AM
Various people have devised point base systems based on the type of ability, they're probably your best bet.

Alternatively, the generic classes from UA could be a good starting point.

khadgar567
2016-07-27, 01:47 AM
Atleast for me just grab the class you want strip unnessery parts then add brew from there

Aetis
2016-07-27, 08:49 AM
The point based system is what I'm after.

I'll go ahead and post in the homebrew section of the forum to see what they have.

Big Fau
2016-07-27, 12:52 PM
The point based system is what I'm after.

I'll go ahead and post in the homebrew section of the forum to see what they have.

Be warned: Point-based systems like those tend to have hidden abuses and oversights, never mind inaccurate values on certain abilities (the Point Buy for Feats system is notorious for that).

Segev
2016-07-27, 01:25 PM
The best way I've found to build custom classes is to examine what you want the class to do, then compare its abilities to existing classes. Is an ability roughly akin to a spell? Give it at around (maybe a little before, maybe a little after, depending on how useful and how frequently it can be used) the level that a primary caster would get that spell. Is it akin to a feat? Figure out where it meshes with existing feats and look at their prerequisites (particularly BAB-related ones).

In general, throw it on the level skeleton, and then compare it to other classes and see how it stacks up. Adjust until you think it does what you want with the balance you want. Make sure it's attractive, but not more attractive than you want it to be. (It's technically okay to have a class that's just better than existing ones...if you want players to gravitate to it over existing ones, and you're ready to tweak encounter difficulties.)