PDA

View Full Version : Craft (Disturbing Mental Image) [PEACH]

Joltz
2007-07-03, 11:11 PM
I recently purchased Unearthed Arcana and found the sanity system to be fairly interesting. I'm hoping to include it in most of my future campaigns. I was talking to one of my friends about it and somehow we got on the subject of illusions freaking people out. He ended up requesting a Craft (Disturbing Image) skill, and here's what I have so far

Craft (Disturbing Mental Image)

Characters using Craft (disturbing mental image) cause sanity loss to the target. Anytime the character wishes to use this skill they make a Craft (disturbing mental image) as a part of whatever action they are using to deliver the image to the target(s). It takes a truly sick mind to shake the foundations of another being’s sanity.

Craft (disturbing mental image) DCs
{table=head]DC|Sanity Loss Success/Failure

25|
0/ 1d4|

30|
1/ 2d4|

35|
1/ 3d4|
40|
2/ 4d4|

45|
2/ 5d4|

50|
3/ 6d4|

55|
3/ 7d4[/table]

The creator must also make a sanity check at the time he creates the image or take the same sanity loss. If dice would be rolled, treat these as having rolled minimum. Sanity resistance doesn’t apply to the creator’s sanity loss.
Possible delivery methods for these disturbing images include
• Spoken words
• Works of art
• Some illusion spells
If the crafter uses spoken words to deliver the disturbing image, he takes a -2 penalty for every 5 ranks more he has in this skill than in Perform (Oratory) because their words lack proper impact and vocabulary. Anyone who hears the crafter speak and understands what he is saying is subject to the sanity loss.

Sanity loss from spoken words is capped at 2d4+1d4/5 ranks the target has in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image) because an innocent mind won't naturally form the truly horrible images described to it.

If the crafter uses art to deliver his image he takes a -2 penalty for every 5 ranks more he has in this skill than in the related Craft skill (ex. Craft [painting]) because his horrifying idea cannot be adequately expressed by his meager artwork. Anyone who sees the details of the artwork for the first time is subject to sanity loss from the image, but is generally unaffected by subsequent viewings of the same artwork.

If the caster uses an illusion spell to deliver his effect he gains a circumstance bonus equal to the level of the spell used. If the user has Spell Focus or Greater Spell focus (illusion), these bonuses apply as well. This form of image is highly versatile and may be expressed in any number of ways. It may be a unique image directly from the caster’s mind, or it may mimic terrifying monsters. If a caster attempts to recreate a monster that would normally cause sanity loss but ends up with sanity loss far less than the creature’s normal value this represents the caster’s imagination being unable to accurately represent the creature’s horrifying details. Conversely if the monster is more terrifying it would represent the caster’s imagination adding even more horrible things beyond the creature’s normal hideousness.

Common illusions used for this purpose include silent image, minor image, and programmed image although any spell that creates a visual effect that comes directly from the caster’s mind works. Disbelieving an illusion only prevents sanity loss if it’s disbelieved before the character has time to look at it and freak out.

Special: Orally delivered disturbing images gain a +2 synergy bonus from Perform (oratory). Artistic disturbing images gain a +2 synergy bonus from the appropriate Craft skill. Also, Please note that while you may voluntarily penalize your check (so your illusory zombie isn’t too horrifying to be believed or something) to reduce the sanity loss to your target, the creator takes the sanity loss of the un-penalized roll.

I intend to use sanity resistance equal to 1/2 character level so even at high levels it balances out a bit (I think) and prevents you from shattering the minds of people with the same level as you. I added the unavoidable sanity loss to the user to prevent people from going overboard with it and winning every encounter with sentient creatures by causing them to curl into a fetal position.

I've never played with a sanity system, so I don't really know how this would work out. I'd appreciate some experienced help to make sure it's balanced.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-04, 01:43 AM
Looks like a good feature for an Unnerver prestige class ^_^

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-04, 01:53 AM
Looks like a good feature for an Unnerver prestige class ^_^

Or for a horror game GM...

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-04, 01:55 AM
Or for a horror game GM...

Well, it's kind of a joke to begin with. So that doesn't really work so good. Maybe if you're doing a game where you're representing gaming, and need skills for GMs.

Joltz
2007-07-05, 03:00 PM
Added a sanity loss cap to the spoken form of delivery.

I wish I knew how good this idea is. Is it flawed beyond any hope of use? Is is perfect in every way? Is there something that would make it better?

Okizruin
2007-07-05, 03:15 PM
Is this a reference to Belkar's line?

Joltz
2007-07-05, 03:22 PM
No actually the friend who requested it doesn't read webcomics at all. I find it kinda funny that I'm making (or at least trying to make) the skill he mentioned.

Fishies
2007-07-05, 09:31 PM
Shouldn't some people have an immunity to it? Y'know, like some perverted teens.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-06, 08:00 AM
Shouldn't some people have an immunity to it? Y'know, like some perverted teens.

Don't we people with immunity already count as insane? :P

Course, there's the thought that there's probably some really, really disturbing things out there :P

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-07-06, 09:52 AM
Don't we people with immunity already count as insane? :P

Course, there's the thought that there's probably some really, really disturbing things out there :P

The fact that there are things so disturbing that it will even disturb perverted teens is, in and of itself, a very disturbing mental image... quite possibly a masterworked one at that.

I can think of something offhand which would meet the above specifications, but I'm fairly certain that it isn't something I can get away with mentioning without getting it scrubbed and hit with an infraction. Suffice to say, it is a subset of the Anime genre.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-06, 02:00 PM
You should note in the '5 point difference' cases that Craft (Disturbing Mental Image) is the higher skill in each of those circumstances. I don't think a penalty would make sense otherwise.

Xuincherguixe
2007-07-06, 02:57 PM
The fact that there are things so disturbing that it will even disturb perverted teens is, in and of itself, a very disturbing mental image... quite possibly a masterworked one at that.

I can think of something offhand which would meet the above specifications, but I'm fairly certain that it isn't something I can get away with mentioning without getting it scrubbed and hit with an infraction. Suffice to say, it is a subset of the Anime genre.

I can probably manage things pretty well even without going into some of the more obscure Anime Sub genres :P Spell that messes with dimensions, so you are forced to eat your own brain. You see yourself, and start opening up your head, while you feel your head being opened up. You start munching and for a few moments you taste the sound blue.

Bonus points if you keep coming back from the dead too!

Joltz
2007-07-06, 04:58 PM
You should note in the '5 point difference' cases that Craft (Disturbing Mental Image) is the higher skill in each of those circumstances. I don't think a penalty would make sense otherwise.

err, that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now

TARINunit9
2007-07-06, 09:44 PM
I guess now would be a good time to reveal my new invention:

Protection from Disturbing Images.
Cleric Lvl. 1
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: 50 feet
Target: anyone you wish (max. 20)
Duration: 2 min. per caster level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance:

Grants +2 sanity bonus per caster level to all targets taking a sanity check to avoid becoming disturbed.

Saving throw bonus is granted for a throw caused by ANY disturbing images, not just those from Craft (Disturbing Mental Image), and especially those in that disturbing "Belkar's love interest" thread.