PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Brick Awards: The Best of the Best of the Worst Tournament!

littlebum2002
2016-07-27, 10:29 AM
umm, this is embarrassing. I accidentally deleted my post here. So hopefully no one bothers to look here any more and we can just pretend it never happened.

Laurana
2016-07-27, 11:02 AM
Yay! GoldenBricks!!! Hooray for Littlebum!

I guess I'll go with #224.

None of them is even remotely near to my favourites list.

Markozeta
2016-07-27, 11:13 AM
This is harder than the brick awards was... normally i could whittle down to 1-3 and pick from there, but I've got 6 now.

18 is enjoyable in it's simplicity, but it's the first to go of my keep list.
224 is groggy fun, but it's the second to go.
242 has non traditional panel layout, and some keen jokes here and there, but I'll let it go.
333, if better timed with the main, would have been it, but since we haven't seen durokan in his own head crying as he sees his own home, we'll let it go.
138, with it's enjoyable gags and plenty of ways to "get around the rules", will not win, because:

188 has one of my most favorite missed quotes - "I Dream of the day I will learn to stop asking questions to which I will regret learning the answers"

dmc91356
2016-07-27, 11:34 AM
The only one I actually laughed at was 376, so I'll go with that.

Jormengand
2016-07-27, 12:01 PM
I think that my vote has to go to 18.

Euclidodese
2016-07-27, 01:17 PM
376, Great strip, and I especially still love the last line.

5a Violista
2016-07-27, 01:46 PM
242 - Chekov's Law Realized is my favorite of those. So that's the one I'm voting for.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2016-07-27, 02:21 PM
And here they are!!!

Gotta update signature... :smallwink:

Since I'm here, I vote for #376. "Quest Buy" is gold.

nogall
2016-07-27, 03:41 PM
Really torn between 18 (and its REALLY surprising second sneak attack :smallbiggrin:) and 224 ("one order of gluttony with a side of corruption, please" is a great example of the Giant's great and funny dialogue).

I'll go with 18 as a hommage to really early OOTS.

ChillerInstinct
2016-07-27, 04:56 PM
Fittingly, I'm torn between 18 and 188. Both are solid strips that are, at least in my mind, easily among the highlights of their respective books. But ultimately, while I do love a good perspective gag, I've got to go with #18 for being surprisingly applicable to pretty much ANY game with ambush mechanics.

Markozeta
2016-07-27, 05:42 PM
(un?)Fortunately for me, these became pretty popular, and so now I am going to make a tournament for these really good, bad strips.

After the finals, we will have an "Ultra-Brick Awards" for all the strips that recieved no votes during the Brick Awards because people assume I have nothing better to do.

I did volunteer for the ultra bricks with my crazy scheme, even if we didn't use the crazy scheme. I just don't know if anyone wants them sequentially after the goldens or concurrently, as I have a pretty ingenious (yet crazy) way to get to the bottom of the 63 ultra bricks. And to be honest, we might get bored seeing the same ultra bricks pop up over and over again on its descent to the bottom (We may see 10% return for another round of voting, we may see 90% return!). On the other hand, the point of the original tournaments was to take a nice stroll through the comic, comparing each one to the other and seeing things we might have missed, and I'd like to go with another big tournament again - but we need more than 45 comics added before beginning again. Running concurrently would be counter to this idea.

Bird
2016-07-27, 06:53 PM
333. Durkon got very little character development in between his Hilgya fling and his fight with Malack ~800 strips later. This strip was pretty darn good, though.

rooster707
2016-07-27, 09:09 PM
224. Luxury is the herald of weakness!

Emanick
2016-07-28, 12:04 AM
333: The Bright Side takes it for me. It's so bittersweet, particularly in light of, erm, comparatively recent events.

137beth
2016-07-28, 09:34 AM
376: Xykon's moderately escapable forcage
(And an explanation of why the heck he left Miko alive.)

So, have you ( littlebum2002) decided you are up for running the Ultra Brick awards, or would you still prefer for someone else to do it?

I'd be happy to do it, but I wouldn't want to feel like I'd be taking your contest away from you.

littlebum2002
2016-07-28, 10:14 AM
I did volunteer for the ultra bricks with my crazy scheme, even if we didn't use the crazy scheme. I just don't know if anyone wants them sequentially after the goldens or concurrently, as I have a pretty ingenious (yet crazy) way to get to the bottom of the 63 ultra bricks. And to be honest, we might get bored seeing the same ultra bricks pop up over and over again on its descent to the bottom (We may see 10% return for another round of voting, we may see 90% return!). On the other hand, the point of the original tournaments was to take a nice stroll through the comic, comparing each one to the other and seeing things we might have missed, and I'd like to go with another big tournament again - but we need more than 45 comics added before beginning again. Running concurrently would be counter to this idea.

So, have you ( littlebum2002) decided you are up for running the Ultra Brick awards, or would you still prefer for someone else to do it?

I'd be happy to do it, but I wouldn't want to feel like I'd be taking your contest away from you.

TBH, as fun as they are to put on, these awards are taking away a lot of my time. Especially since I have to do them at work (no home computer), and I'm actually supposed to be working at work, so...

I'm sure either of you guys would be great at it. However, whoever does it, I think that Markozeta's idea of mixing them up instead of doing them in order is a GREAT idea which will keep things fresh and that should definitely be incorporated. Oh, and don't take it too seriously!!!

Jaxzan Proditor
2016-07-28, 02:20 PM
I'm voting for #333.

137beth
2016-07-28, 02:41 PM
TBH, as fun as they are to put on, these awards are taking away a lot of my time. Especially since I have to do them at work (no home computer), and I'm actually supposed to be working at work, so...

I'm sure either of you guys would be great at it. However, whoever does it, I think that Markozeta's idea of mixing them up instead of doing them in order is a GREAT idea which will keep things fresh and that should definitely be incorporated. Oh, and don't take it too seriously!!!

Yea, I agree Markozeta's idea is worth using. IMO, the Ultra Brick Awards should wait until after the Golden Brick Awards are completed, and that it should be done sequentially, no matter how long it takes:smallsmile:

Sylian
2016-07-28, 02:44 PM
333 gets my vote.

Black Socks
2016-07-28, 06:50 PM
#18. Call me what you will, but I love rules jokes, and this one has two!

Darth Paul
2016-07-28, 10:18 PM
SO many nostalgic favorites, but in the end, I'll take one order of gluttony with a side of corruption, please (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0224.html). #224 is my pick.

aurilee
2016-07-29, 08:43 AM
#224 - "There aren't even rules for sleeping, you know!!" is one of my all time favourite lines.

Markozeta
2016-07-29, 12:23 PM
Yea, I agree Markozeta's idea is worth using. IMO, the Ultra Brick Awards should wait until after the Golden Brick Awards are completed, and that it should be done sequentially, no matter how long it takes:smallsmile:

Thanks for that. So here is the proposed format, whenever it starts:

1.) I pad the ultra bricks to make a number divisible by 6 using comics with numbers past 1000. (since, hey - we're looking for the losers here anyways, these ones will probably soak up a lot of votes anyways. Only 6.3% of comics actually made it to ultra-brick, so 45 comics should yield only 3 more real ultra bricks).

2.) The ultra bricks are tossed at random, and divided into six equal groups. This first one will be six groups of 11. Large numbers encourage more bricking, as can be seen.

3.) We tally up the votes for the best and count our bricks.

4.) After all six rounds, we have a "best of round X", to find out who shined. It'll probably be one of the post-1000 comics, but you know, we're looking for bricks here, not shiny pebbles in the mud. So if one of those wins, it just means that none of the ultra bricks rose to the spotlight.

5.) After all that's done, we start with step 1 and repeat!

6.) To keep the numbers at 10 or larger, we'll switch the number of groups. When we get down to <60, we switch to five groups, <50, we switch to 4 groups, etc. When we finally have a round where no bricks are accumulated, all of those will the lowest amount of votes will be declared the ultra-bricks!

It's a bit crazy and hectic. Let me know your thoughts.

Side note: Ran a simulation real fast. Should result in 5 rounds maximum is my guess, assuming that ones with 1000+ comics have a 70% bricking rate (typical for rounds where "awesome comics" were in place that made a lot of bricks), and ones without 1000+ comics would be 30% bricking rate (typical for standard sections).

Jasdoif
2016-07-29, 12:48 PM
I did volunteer for the ultra bricks with my crazy scheme, even if we didn't use the crazy scheme. I just don't know if anyone wants them sequentially after the goldens or concurrently, as I have a pretty ingenious (yet crazy) way to get to the bottom of the 63 ultra bricks.If I'd known sooner it was 63, I'd have recommended running them concurrently via a swiss-system tournament (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament). Adding a single honorary brick (because a bye is boring) would get it up to an even power of two, so after six sets of pairwise competitions we could have....

1 Golden Brick
6 Silver Bricks
15 Bronze Bricks
20 Copper Bricks
15 Clay Bricks
6 Adobe Bricks
1 Wet Dirt "Brick"

Doug Lampert
2016-07-29, 01:30 PM
242 - Chekov's Law Realized is my favorite of those. So that's the one I'm voting for.

Ditto. 242. Several of the others are good. But 242 is the best.

Elkins
2016-07-30, 01:40 PM
I really wasn't expecting this, since I generally prefer later strips to earlier--indeed, you might even say I'm surprised!--but I'm going to have to go with #18 Double Surprise.

It's a rules joke that is genuinely funny even without any prior knowledge of D&D at all. Anyone who understands absurdity can get it. We all know what "surprise" means and what a "surprise attack" is, and we can all imagine a rules system that lets you get two "surprise attacks" in a row under certain circumstances. And that's all you need to know to find the joke funny. A well-conceived and well-executed joke strip.

martianmister
2016-07-30, 03:51 PM
You can't defeat the classics.

Gift Jeraff
2016-07-30, 03:58 PM
#376 is great.

Bratmon
2016-07-30, 10:44 PM
376 for "Xykon's Moderately-Escapable Forcecage"

Sir_Norbert
2016-08-01, 04:32 PM
#282 for being how I got into OotS in the first place.

137beth
2016-08-01, 04:58 PM

1.) I pad the ultra bricks to make a number divisible by 6 using comics with numbers past 1000. (since, hey - we're looking for the losers here anyways, these ones will probably soak up a lot of votes anyways. Only 6.3% of comics actually made it to ultra-brick, so 45 comics should yield only 3 more real ultra bricks).

2.) The ultra bricks are tossed at random, and divided into six equal groups. This first one will be six groups of 11. Large numbers encourage more bricking, as can be seen.

4.) After all six rounds, we have a "best of round X", to find out who shined. It'll probably be one of the post-1000 comics, but you know, we're looking for bricks here, not shiny pebbles in the mud. So if one of those wins, it just means that none of the ultra bricks rose to the spotlight.

6.) To keep the numbers at 10 or larger, we'll switch the number of groups. When we get down to <60, we switch to five groups, <50, we switch to 4 groups, etc. When we finally have a round where no bricks are accumulated, all of those will the lowest amount of votes will be declared the ultra-bricks!

Side note: Ran a simulation real fast. Should result in 5 rounds maximum is my guess, assuming that ones with 1000+ comics have a 70% bricking rate (typical for rounds where "awesome comics" were in place that made a lot of bricks), and ones without 1000+ comics would be 30% bricking rate (typical for standard sections).
Hrmm, I'm not sure the post-1000 strips should be able to qualify for advancement in the same way, since they didn't actually get 0 votes.
Unless there were an elaborate tie-breaking system which allowed post-1000 strips to progress if they meet additional criteria....

Liquor Box
2016-08-01, 11:56 PM

more words so message is not too short

littlebum2002
2016-08-02, 11:55 AM

I would argue strongly against adding any comics bast #1000. That would defeat the idea of a Brick Awards

All of this sounds great, just without the post #1000 strips.

littlebum2002
2016-08-03, 10:33 AM
It's a tie! Or at least it would be, if I didn't have super awesome tiebreaking powers. And I'm totally going for 376 over 18, I didn't find that one to be very funny.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/smilies/oots/xykon.gif 376 All Too Easy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html) is our winner this week.

#18 leads the Wildcard race with 6 votes, and #224 and #333 are tied for 2nd with 4 votes each.

VOTING IS NOW CLOSED!

........THE BRICK AWARDS: SEMIFINAL 1

Comic Number
Votes Received
Vote Percentage

24%

0%

4%

16%

8%

4%

16%

28%

Please join us for the next round of voting!

Markozeta
2016-08-03, 08:09 PM
umm, this is embarrassing. I accidentally deleted my post here. So hopefully no one bothers to look here any more and we can just pretend it never happened.

Pretend what never happened?