PDA

View Full Version : Help with Crusader tank/dps build /self healing

bidyo
2016-07-27, 01:56 PM
Hello everyone, i must apologize for my english in advance, I'm not a native speaker. Anyway, It's been a while since I doesnt play D&D and I've been reading and trying to find something to help me out with what I want to do with my character.
I want to build a Human Crusader that has a weapon of Bloodbourne that literaly Drains my HP in exchange for damage, blunt weapon (the weapon is already built). Most of crusaders build path that i found focus on glaire or spiked chain to put enemies down, control the ground, or its a path that leads to Cleric/Ruby Knight, and I dont want neither.
We are going to play a level 10 campaign.

ps:This is my first topic here and I'm glad to find this forum, the last time I saw something near this active comunity was in Orkut.

Troacctid
2016-07-27, 02:13 PM
Easy enough. Give your sword the vicious (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#vicious) property, and every time you hit with it, it'll drain your blood to deal extra damage.

You can also make it so that it constantly drips blood, at no extra cost—a nifty cosmetic effect found in the Dungeon Master's Guide II.

GreyBlack
2016-07-27, 02:36 PM
Hello everyone, i must apologize for my english in advance, I'm not a native speaker. Anyway, It's been a while since I doesnt play D&D and I've been reading and trying to find something to help me out with what I want to do with my character.
I want to build a Human Crusader that has a weapon of Bloodbourne that literaly Drains my HP in exchange for damage, blunt weapon (the weapon is already built). Most of crusaders build path that i found focus on glaire or spiked chain to put enemies down, control the ground, or its a path that leads to Cleric/Ruby Knight, and I dont want neither.
We are going to play a level 10 campaign.

ps:This is my first topic here and I'm glad to find this forum, the last time I saw something near this active comunity was in Orkut.

Aww, baby's first forum post! Welcome!

Okay, down to business. Based on the fact that you're looking at Crusader, I'm assuming you're going for a 3.5 build. From here, you're looking at a ranged control build, but you don't want to use the ranged control weapons. Fair enough. As you say the weapon is already built, I'm going to assume that your wealth by level (WBL) is already taken care of so we can just focus on the build's specifics.

If you're looking for ways to control the battlefield, the first thing you're going to want to do is pick up Thicket of Blades. This stance is AMAZING for what you're going to try and do, and essentially turns everything within a 20 foot diameter into a threatened zone that you will be able to attack into.

Second, Standstill. This is necessary for what you're trying to accomplish. Essentially, the combination of Thicket of Blades with Standstill reads that, whenever someone tries to move within a 10 foot radius of you, you can tell them "no."

From here, you're going to want to focus on how to consistently provoke attacks of opportunity from your opponent. To do so, you're going to require Combat Reflexes (more attacks of opportunity per round). Many builds like including Improved Trip into the build, so you get the attack of opportunity to stop them in their tracks, you can trip them, then get an attack of opportunity when they try to get up, stopping their movement.

Now, you said Bloodborne is your point of reference. While I don't have a Piss For, I have played through the other Souls games, and have an idea of the type of combat style you're looking at. For this, I'm going to warn that you'll have to choose between a strength or dexterity build. They each have benefits and drawbacks you'll have to consider (e.g. strength builds can more consistently stop an opponent from moving, but dex builds can lock down more people at once). Overall, I'd probably recommend you more towards a Strength build over dexterity, as DPR (damage per round) is better and can give you better options in any given encounter, but your mileage will vary here.

In a strength build, you're going to want to focus on Power Attack and go 2 handed weapons for huge DPR (OR, you can go Stone Power and get temporary HP with every attack, which mirrors the healing effect you're looking for).

Dexterity, though, you're going to need Spring Attack. Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack to control the battlefield, basically becoming a whirling dervish of lockdown. For this, one level of Barbarian (Spirit Lion Totem) would be necessary for Pounce. Essentially, you would then jump into battle, make 4 attacks to trip everyone in the area, then make all of the attacks of opportunity to keep everyone from moving. This is a far trickier build, but can be highly effective if you know what you're doing.

bidyo
2016-07-27, 02:37 PM
The Weapon is already built. It's a giant wheel of wood with magic embued: 1d8 damage. special: when you spin it u gain 1d8 damage, it stacks 4 times. U lose your mod const in HP every turn for each spin u have done, at max it gave me 5d8 damage, drains something near 20 pv per turn, plus it heals you with half of the damage dealt with it , so if I manage to hit at least twice in the same round I think its enough to heal the lost hp

-Edit

@Grayblack : Thanks for the help man. So, Thicket of blades and Standstill can I Aoo anything that moves around me 1 time? What if i get combat reflexes ? Can I atack anything that moves near me with my max des mod? If thats a yes, do you think its good to find something that can grow my size to have a larger reach plus hold a bigger weapon? And yes it will be a STR build.