PDA

View Full Version : What can I take from the Gate of Betrayal(YYH)?

MonkeySage
2016-07-27, 04:41 PM
Looking back, this idea intrigued me. As Team Yusuke traverses Maze Castle, they find themselves in a corridor just as a massive stone comes crashing down. The team are all needed to hold it up. One of them(ends up being Hiei) is fast enough to pull the lever that will release big stone and save the team. But he's given the temptation to simply leave his team to die, in exchange for a reward of some kind (it has been a long time since I've watched this anime, so I might be misremembering).

Now, as I'm designing the second level of this high level dungeon, I'm thinking of doing something similar.

A hall of judgement, with a stone that the whole party must hold up. If more than one player tries to step out, the stone will crush all of them. The lever ahead is in middle position; if the lever is pushed down, the stone will crush the players and the traitor will be "rewarded". If the lever is pushed up, the stone returns to its original position in the ceiling, and all players can advance...

And I want to put some kind of twist on it; I don't want to actually reward the traitor, nor do I want this to actually result in a TPK.

BlueHerring
2016-07-27, 07:47 PM
If you want a twist that screws over the player that decides to betray the team, there's a whole bunch of ways.

The first results in a TPK, essentially. The traitor advances to the next room, and realizes that it's only possible to complete it with a full party. The door slams shut behind him. If he had the others there, they'd be able to help.

The next one isn't a TPK, strictly, but it's just as bad. Little does anyone realize that the lever is built over a magical ritual site, and that pushing it down will activate said ritual. Well, what does it do? Any number of things. It could empower a cursed sword or weapon with the dying thoughts of the other party members, and so that whenever he glances at its steel, the reflections look just like one of the other party members that he/she betrayed.

Or it curses the traitor with nightmares of his betrayal for a year and a day. Something like that, really.