PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cross-blooded Sorcerer (Arcane/Serpentine): How does the familiar mechanics work?

Levism84
2016-07-27, 08:57 PM
I was looking at this and I am having trouble finding an answer in the mechanics. If a cross-blooded sorcerer (arcane/serpentine) chooses to have a familiar for their 1st level bloodline power (if they choose Arcane Bond), what happens with the viper familiar for their 3rd level bloodline power (if they choose Serpentfriend)?

It says the Arcane Bond familiar is as a wizard of the sorcerer's level and the Serpentfriend familiar is as a wizard of the sorcerer's level -2.

Do you just take the better of the two familiars? Do you get two familiars? Do the familiar levels stack, so you have either a normal familiar as a wizard of the sorcerer's level or a viper familiar as a wizard of double the sorcerer's level -2?

Any help would be appreciated.

CasualViking
2016-07-28, 02:30 AM
Neither multiple familiars nor overleveled familiars seem right for the ruleset. Overleveled familiars are right out because you need different classes in order to stack them, as per the familiar rules. I can't find a rule explicitly disallowing multiple familiars, but I wouldn't count on it.

Kurald Galain
2016-07-28, 03:47 AM
It is clear from the wording of the various familiar-related abilities that you cannot have multiple familiars.

Per the FAQ, numbers in the game aren't supposed to stack with themselves; for instance it's not possible to get twice your charisma mod to saving throws (because your cha mod doesn't stack with your cha mod). It is a fair interpretation that this also applies to levels (so your sorcerer levels don't stack with your sorcerer levels to determine familiar power). However, if you interpret this FAQ as only applying to ability scores, then you'd get a high-level familiar. That isn't overpowered at all, so it wouldn't worry me.

Daishain
2016-07-28, 08:41 AM
I have a rule of thumb. If a suggested rules compromise requires extending a table well beyond 20th level and one is not playing an epic campaign, the answer is just no. As noted, having two familiars is called out in other places as generally intended to not be allowed, So I'd be inclined to abide by that as well.

Far as I'm concerned. Viper Familiar would be absolutely useless to that character, and I would highly suggest picking the Arcane Bloodline equivalent instead. Metamagic Adept is an awesome ability anyways, I can tell you from recent experience that full round actions on metamagiced spells can be quite hindering. Even picked up a rod of empower in spite of having the feat so I could use such in flight.

Levism84
2016-07-28, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

It makes sense that the effects wouldn't stack with themselves, and I knew you couldn't have two familiars (baring 3rd party) but wasn't sure where the mechanics for that were. I also talked to my DM friend and he said if he were ruling, he wouldn't allow them to stack and I would probably just get the better of the two abilities. Serpentfriend still grants at-will speak with animals (reptiles only), so, if I wanted to go with a mauler familiar (that was a reptile), I could still get some use out of that ability.

I also appreciate the insight on Metamagic Adept since I have never really used metamagic for a spontaneous caster before. I don't know what would be mechanically hindering.

Psyren
2016-07-28, 10:32 AM
Serpentfriend has a delayed progression though, so don't forget Boon Companion to erase the deficit.

Honestly though, Serpentine sucks - the bloodline powers are weak and you can duplicate the arcana simply by using things like Charm Monster. It's definitely not worth delaying your progression and giving up 9 spells known for (10 if you count a cantrip).