PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Two important questions

wizo
2016-07-27, 09:48 PM
1. How much would a spell cost to be bought? Like buying lets say fireball or a scroll of fireball from a store/is this possible or no and if so in what cost per spell level. I am not sure where the spell levels for buyable scrolls stop.

2. My gf and I are playing first time 5th and so far I don't know if this party is going to do well but want some advice to see if it is 'playable' and won't die (she is the dm I am controlling/RPing these 5 characters. After 10 years of dming you get good at playing multiple characters : P) A way of the shadow halfling monk, a half orc battlemaster that is defense spec, an oath of the ancients human paladin with protection spec, a high elf wizard who is abjuration spec, and a half elf bard that is of the college of lore. My main concern is if This party can deal enough damage with the wizard focused on control rather than damage.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-27, 09:54 PM
1. How much would a spell cost to be bought? Like buying lets say fireball or a scroll of fireball from a store/is this possible or no and if so in what cost per spell level. I am not sure where the spell levels for buyable scrolls stop.

2. My gf and I are playing first time 5th and so far I don't know if this party is going to do well but want some advice to see if it is 'playable' and won't die (she is the dm I am controlling/RPing these 5 characters. After 10 years of dming you get good at playing multiple characters : P) A way of the shadow halfling monk, a half orc battlemaster that is defense spec, an oath of the ancients human paladin with protection spec, a high elf wizard who is abjuration spec, and a half elf bard that is of the college of lore. My main concern is if This party can deal enough damage with the wizard focused on control rather than damage.

1: Base rules? Not possible. Ask your DM.

2: Any party can work, don't worry about party composition. This again is tied directly to the DM.

JeffreyGator
2016-07-27, 09:57 PM
1) per the SRD spell scrolls are common (50gp) @ level 1 and uncommon (500 gp) at 2-3
rare 4-5 and very rare level 6.

in the homebrew thread there is a sane magic item pricing thread that might help you

2) you will do plenty of damage and have plenty of control with the wizard and bard especially since you are controlling them all and they are more tactically aligned then

R.Shackleford
2016-07-27, 10:09 PM
1) per the SRD spell scrolls are common (50gp) @ level 1 and uncommon (500 gp) at 2-3
rare 4-5 and very rare level 6.

in the homebrew thread there is a sane magic item pricing thread that might help you

2) you will do plenty of damage and have plenty of control with the wizard and bard especially since you are controlling them all and they are more tactically aligned then

Magic items are part of the SRD but are found in the DMG. They are not a player resource and you must ask your DM if they even exist.

Those prices really mean nothing until a DM confirms the item is even in the game, how they can obtain it, and so on.

wizo
2016-07-27, 10:22 PM
Thank you very much. We are playing a converted adventure moduel (shackled city) and there was a magic shop so we were wondering. Thank you very much, and just as a side note do bows gain dex modifier to damage or just proficiency to damage?

Specter
2016-07-27, 10:37 PM
In my campaign, I worked spell scroll prices like this:

1 - 50
2 - 150
3 - 400
4 - 1,000
5 - 2,500
6 - 5,000
7 - 12,000
8 - 27,000
9 - 50,000

Obviously, not any magic shop has a lvl9 spell hanging aroind.

RickAllison
2016-07-27, 10:44 PM
In my campaign, I worked spell scroll prices like this:

1 - 50
2 - 150
3 - 400
4 - 1,000
5 - 2,500
6 - 5,000
7 - 12,000
8 - 27,000
9 - 50,000

Obviously, not any magic shop has a lvl9 spell hanging aroind.

Yeah, a scroll of Wish is the kind of thing that is held by the wealthiest of kingdoms in a secret vault for dire emergencies.

JNAProductions
2016-07-27, 10:46 PM
Thank you very much. We are playing a converted adventure moduel (shackled city) and there was a magic shop so we were wondering. Thank you very much, and just as a side note do bows gain dex modifier to damage or just proficiency to damage?

You NEVER gain proficiency to damage, at least not normally.

They get Dex to damage and attack.

wizo
2016-07-27, 11:01 PM
You NEVER gain proficiency to damage, at least not normally.

They get Dex to damage and attack.

Oh wow! I had no idea it didn't add. I was told it did. Well, thank you for the information. Also thank you for a conversion table for the scrolls : )

Specter
2016-07-28, 07:23 AM
Yeah, a scroll of Wish is the kind of thing that is held by the wealthiest of kingdoms in a secret vault for dire emergencies.

Considering 50,000gp is probably all the money rotating in a kingdom at a given time, no.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-28, 07:39 AM
Considering 50,000gp is probably all the money rotating in a kingdom at a given time, no.

Which is why you should be killing random animals and creatures, their digestive tracks turn food into gold...

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-28, 08:02 AM
Wizo-- you'll probably be fine party-wise. You're not focused heavily on damage, true, but you've got control coming out the ears. It doesn't matter if it takes you an extra turn or three to kill the baddies if they're all stunned, tripped, tangled, and constantly missing. The wizard isn't even an issue; in most fights I've seen the noncasters do more damage anyway.

That's two warships, five "sailing ships," a hundred twenty five warshorses, or two hundred chariots. Given such equivalencies, I'm pretty sure such a decent-sized kingdom could afford a scroll of Wish if they wanted. (To say nothing of non-monetary payments-- how about I make you the Duke of Wallhaven in exchange?)

RickAllison
2016-07-28, 08:40 AM
Wizo-- you'll probably be fine party-wise. You're not focused heavily on damage, true, but you've got control coming out the ears. It doesn't matter if it takes you an extra turn or three to kill the baddies if they're all stunned, tripped, tangled, and constantly missing. The wizard isn't even an issue; in most fights I've seen the noncasters do more damage anyway.

That's two warships, five "sailing ships," a hundred twenty five warshorses, or two hundred chariots. Given such equivalencies, I'm pretty sure such a decent-sized kingdom could afford a scroll of Wish if they wanted. (To say nothing of non-monetary payments-- how about I make you the Duke of Wallhaven in exchange?)

Indeed. The restriction on the scroll likely has more to do with sheer rarity than price (at least in that case). It is something that the Kings dispatch gullible adventuring groups to find, especially ones who don't have wizards or sorcerers who could use the scroll.

Specter
2016-07-28, 09:13 AM

I didn't know about those prices. But anyway, if you think scrolls can be problematic even needing caster levels, just limit them to certain levels, or limit spells (as I did with Wish and Simulacrum). But if there are, there should be some sort of market for it.

"Name one thing in this world that is not negotiable." Walter White

Grod_The_Giant
2016-07-28, 09:16 AM
I didn't know about those prices. But anyway, if you think scrolls can be problematic even needing caster levels, just limit them to certain levels, or limit spells (as I did with Wish and Simulacrum). But if there are, there should be some sort of market for it.

"Name one thing in this world that is not negotiable." Walter White
The prices are right out of the PHB equipment chapter ("mounts and vehicles).

Vogonjeltz
2016-07-28, 06:40 PM
But if there are, there should be some sort of market for it.

The DMG position on magic items is that magic items are generally rare enough that most people couldn't afford to purchase them even if they were being offered.

If a kingdom (or whoever) really wanted a scroll of wish, and knew where one was, they'd probably try to seize it by force of arms instead of trying to purchase it.

50,000 gold can hire a lot of mercenaries.

R.Shackleford
2016-07-28, 06:50 PM
The DMG position on magic items is that magic items are generally rare enough that most people couldn't afford to purchase them even if they were being offered.

If a kingdom (or whoever) really wanted a scroll of wish, and knew where one was, they'd probably try to seize it by force of arms instead of trying to purchase it.

50,000 gold can hire a lot of mercenaries.

Dragons also exist and dragons like shiny and powerful things.

MaxWilson
2016-07-28, 07:12 PM

Monks deal pretty decent damage at low level; paladins can spike for lots of damage via Divine Smite; a wizard deals about 50% of a fighter's damage using cantrips; and a bard tends to have weakish damage unless they leverage spells like Conjure Animals/Animate Dead/Animate Objects. Two comments therefore:

(1) Battlemasters with the right specializations (GWM or Sharpshooter plus other supporting feats) can deal horrendous amounts of nova damage and pretty decent at-will damage. As it is, your monk might wind up being the party "striker", but if you switch the battlemaster's emphasis from defense to archery with a side order of defense (Defensive Duelist), you wind up with two very nice strikers. Also, Sharpshooter/GWM tend to be better at exploiting control effects.

In short, instead of a party that is 80% defense and 20% offense, you might want to go for a split more like 60/40 or 50/50. Having at least one powerful ranged attacker in your party makes a huge difference.

(2) At high levels, when the monk's damage rate starts looking less impressive, the bard and wizard should be fully online with things like Planar Binding of elementals via all the treasure you get from killing high-level creatures. So I think you'll be fine later on.