PDA

View Full Version : A character who can cast any spell?

Zanos
2016-07-27, 11:02 PM
I think I read something posted here once about a character who can pull spells from any spell list, and had unlimited spells known. I think it involved psionics, but I'm not sure how it worked. Is anyone familiar?

Zsaber0
2016-07-27, 11:04 PM
Spell to Power Erudite maybe?

Zanos
2016-07-27, 11:08 PM
StP erudite gets close, but runs into the issue of capping at not being able to cast max level spells, since they're treated as learning discipline powers.

Anthrowhale
2016-07-28, 12:05 AM
An Archivist can cast any spell they can find a divine scroll of. Every spell can be scribed onto a divine scroll by any Archivist by hiring the appropriate caster to donate a spell as per the second line here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm).

Big Fau
2016-07-28, 12:52 AM
StP erudite gets close, but runs into the issue of capping at not being able to cast max level spells, since they're treated as learning discipline powers.

This can actually be circumvented, but I forgot the exact process (something involving burning the spells-turned-powers into an Ardent's mind after boosting his ML, then learning them back).

Archivists get access to every Bard/Sor/Wiz spell through various means (ACFs usually), but there are a few spells they don't get.

Psionic Artificers get literally everything except Truename Utterances, Maneuvers, and Mysteries. And even Maneuvers can be obtained.

Emperor Tippy
2016-07-28, 01:25 AM
Wyrm Wizard allows you to make any spell an Arcane Spell, which makes it a valid target for a Spell to Power Erudite.

The cleanest way to get 9ths is to have your Wyrm Wizard prepare them as Sanctum Spells. That treats them as 8th level spells and thus allows an StP Erudite of level 17+ to learn them.

Once you have the powers loaded into your StP Erudite, you use Psychic Chirurgery to dump them onto your Psion.

Psionic powers are gained via Psychic Chirurgery and Ice Assassin on a level 17+ Psion (or other manifesting class with unique powers) and the use of Psychic Reformation plus Expanded Knowledge.

Psyren
2016-07-28, 09:49 AM
You can also get 9ths onto a StP Erudite via Epic Manifestation. EM "works just like Epic Spellcasting," and Epic Spells "are all treated like 10th level spells in any possible situation where spell level is important." Thus, the moment you research an epic power your highest power level is now 10 and you can learn 9th-level spell-powers.

Another route is the Fusion + Astral Seed trick.

Necroticplague
2016-07-28, 11:28 AM
An Archivist can learn any divine spell. Any spell can be divine through the use of things like cooperative crafting, or finding scrolls made by people with southern magician. If this archivist themselves has Southern Magician, than any of their spells can be cast as arcane spells. Thus, all spells can be arcane spells. Thus, StP erudites can learn all spells. Take Epic Manifester, you now have access to 10th level powers, so now you can learn all 9th level spells. Thus, the only things an StP erudite doesn't have access to, spell-wise, is Epic spells.

schreier
2016-07-28, 12:42 PM
Archivists get access to every Bard/Sor/Wiz spell through various means (ACFs usually), but there are a few spells they don't get.

Just curious - what spells can't they get? All any spell takes is alternate source spell and a theurge, right? At least from a divine/arcane perspective. If you're counting manuevers/manifestations/infusions - then sure ... but I don't know of any spells specifically excluded from an Archivist?

Crake
2016-07-28, 01:43 PM
A chameleon can learn any arcane spell with a day's notice, and any chameleon alive long enough will have learned every single spell via extra spell by writing it into their spellbook. I personally suggest taking a level of wizard beforehand for an eidetic spellbook so you need not worry about a physical spellbook. Each day just change your extra spell feat to a different arcane spell and it gets "written" into your spellbook, meaning when you swap it out the next day, you still retain the old spell. Additionally, with versatile spellcaster you can arguably cast any arcane spell at a moment's notice, since you count as knowing them all. Finally, with dual focus, you can also cast any divine spell from any list. The best part about it is that you can take the spells from whichever lists you want, and you have access to any arcane and divine spell.

For those wondering how you get 9th level spells with chameleon, it involves using your floating bonus feat just before and just after you get a level feat, along with feats like sanctum spell, heighten spell, earth spell, versatile spellcaster and snowcasting to boost your maximum spell level, then get extra spell slot, then once you have access to 8th level spells you can use DCFS to swap your feats out for more useful ones, keeping just 1 of them to ensure you can still get 9th level spells from extra spell. It can be achieved as early as level 9 with humans and 2 flaws, or by anyone else at level 12 (which is also the level you unlock dual focus anyway).

Some may call that TO, others (myself included, as a DM) call it PO, and some just claim that it outright doesn't work, but it is what it is.

Troacctid
2016-07-28, 01:52 PM
Just use Wish abuse.

Xar Zarath
2016-07-29, 12:33 AM
Technically you can also just use a normal Wizard. There is this:

Independent Research

A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

So you could just copy any spell from any class and change it to suit whatever needs you have.

Crake
2016-07-29, 06:10 AM
Technically you can also just use a normal Wizard. There is this:

Independent Research

A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

So you could just copy any spell from any class and change it to suit whatever needs you have.

That's up to your DM what he allows and doesn't allow though, this thread seems more about getting a definite, RAW acceptable method, rather than one that is determined by an outside source allowing you to do something.